ND’s Injury Woes Continue | The Boneyard

ND’s Injury Woes Continue

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
ND junior center Mikayla Vaughn will miss 4-6 weeks after spraining her right knee in the first game of the season for the Irish earlier this week against Fordham. Vaughn missed the 2017-18 season with a torn ACL in her left knee.

Vaughn’s injury comes after ND learned that they will be without sophomore guard Abby Prohaska for an indeterminate period of time due to a blood clot in her lung.

Reaction Score
ND junior center Mikayla Vaughn will miss 4-6 weeks after spraining her right knee in the first game of the season for the Irish earlier this week against Fordham. Vaughn missed the 2017-18 season with a torn ACL in her left knee.

Vaughn’s injury comes after ND learned that they will be without sophomore guard Abby Prohaska for an indeterminate period of time due to a blood clot in her lung.
Yikes. Tough news for those young ladies. I hope they recover quickly and fully.

Reaction Score

I'd like to be happy about this but I'm not. Kids are kids. A lung blood clot holy smoley, dangerous.
I wish both ND players quick recovery and health from then on.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Thanks for all the good wishes olddude, javaMan and BroadwayVa. It's been a tough run.

Moderators: I (kinda) remember the reason that the General Women's Basketball category was started and have subsequently tried to guess where to place a story that does not directly affect UConn. As such, I've been either placing or responding to stories like this in the General Women's Basketball area only to see threads started here, particularly now that hoops season has started.

Trust me, I'm fine with the thread here, but I'm almost lost as to where to place a story like this. Tough to get a thread going when the story appears here, there and everywhere.

Sign me: confused....any insight or guidance is appreciated.

(p.s.....and yes, Mik Vaughn's injury does just su+k eggs. She spent a year and half getting back from an ACL on her left knee during her freshman year only to twist her right knee at Rose Hill. She's such a good kid who is one of the team leaders. Geesh.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s to bad! They appear to be lovely young ladies and a credit to the sport and their university. Besides I’d rather beat them when they are at full strength, no excuses.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Tough break for Mikayla. She's a Philly kid that will no doubt bounce back strong. @Dillon77 during the last rash of Irish injuries there was a suggestion that the Irish evaluate training to determine if there was a pattern to these injuries. Did that ever happen?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Tough break for Mikayla. She's a Philly kid that will no doubt bounce back strong. @Dillon77 during the last rash of Irish injuries there was a suggestion that the Irish evaluate training to determine if there was a pattern to these injuries. Did that ever happen?

Coco: I don't know how formalized that evaluation was/became, but MM has been talking about the program concentrating more on it during interviews around the gym and on her radio show. The players note working with trainers on individualized stretching, exercise and weight programs, particularly during the off-sesaon.

Vaughn herself was something of a poster child for keeping a postive attitude while rehabbing her left knee. Hopefully, the right knee sprain will not require anything near as arduous. Good luck, Mik!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geez bad luck for the Irish. Hope the players all get well soon. They may be low on players, but Muffet will somehow find a way to win her conference and end up back in the final four.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geez bad luck for the Irish. Hope the players all get well soon. They may be low on players, but Muffet will somehow find a way to win her conference and end up back in the final four.
Right now I think MM’s goals are to try to get healthy and hopefully make it into the Big Dance with an at large bid. I wouldn’t put it past her. She’s proven that she can coach up a team as well as anyone. But she has some tough OOC games on the schedule when she’ll be without her top post player along with a tough sophomore guard, followed by a really tough conference schedule. I think it’s reasonable to assume that ND may not win the conference regular season or post season championships. If that’s the case, every win the Irish can secure becomes precious in their drive to get back to the Big Dance.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

They actually found blood clots in *both* of Prohaska's lungs. Strange situation.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Right now I think MM’s goals are to try to get healthy and hopefully make it into the Big Dance with an at large bid. I wouldn’t put it past her. She’s proven that she can coach up a team as well as anyone. But she has some tough OOC games on the schedule when she’ll be without her top post player along with a tough sophomore guard, followed by a really tough conference schedule. I think it’s reasonable to assume that ND may not win the conference regular season or post season championships. If that’s the case, every win the Irish can secure becomes precious in their drive to get back to the Big Dance.
Having a tough schedule won't hurt ND's chances for an at-large bid. To the contrary, it can only help them, because it means they can absorb plenty of losses as long as they find a way to score several top-50 wins.

And actually, their OOC schedule isn't quite as difficult as in recent years. UConn is the only team currently in the top 15 that they'll face until they play Louisville on Jan. 30. They may lose a few of the games to the likes of Tennessee, Michigan, Michigan State, South Dakota State and DePaul — but I don't think for one second they'll lose all of them.

It's way, way too early to write off any team that has talented but underdeveloped pieces, especially one with a competent coaching staff like ND's. And if Vaughn's only out 4-6 weeks, she'll be back in time for the entire ACC schedule. She may be the most irreplaceable player on ND's roster, much like Liv is for UConn.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Thanks for all the good wishes olddude, javaMan and BroadwayVa. It's been a tough run.

Moderators: I (kinda) remember the reason that the General Women's Basketball category was started and have subsequently tried to guess where to place a story that does not directly affect UConn. As such, I've been either placing or responding to stories like this in the General Women's Basketball area only to see threads started here, particularly now that hoops season has started.

Trust me, I'm fine with the thread here, but I'm almost lost as to where to place a story like this. Tough to get a thread going when the story appears here, there and everywhere.

Sign me: confused....any insight or guidance is appreciated.

(p.s.....and yes, Mik Vaughn's injury does just su+k eggs. She spent a year and half getting back from an ACL on her left knee during her freshman year only to twist her right knee at Rose Hill. She's such a good kid who is one of the team leaders. Geesh.)
There’s no hard and fast rule, honestly. It’s just that, for a while, UConn threads were getting lost among threads about other teams. Use your best judgment- threads can always be moved if necessary

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Having a tough schedule won't hurt ND's chances for an at-large bid. To the contrary, it can only help them, because it means they can absorb plenty of losses as long as they find a way to score several top-50 wins.

And actually, their OOC schedule isn't quite as difficult as in recent years. UConn is the only team currently in the top 15 that they'll face until they play Louisville on Jan. 30. They may lose a few of the games to the likes of Tennessee, Michigan, Michigan State, South Dakota State and DePaul — but I don't think for one second they'll lose all of them.

It's way, way too early to write off any team that has talented but underdeveloped pieces, especially one with a competent coaching staff like ND's. And if Vaughn's only out 4-6 weeks, she'll be back in time for the entire ACC schedule. She may be the most irreplaceable player on ND's roster, much like Liv is for UConn.
The unranked LV’s come into South Bend on Monday night. I watched a little of TN’s game last night vs Central Ark. They looked considerably better than in their first game. While TN is currently a work in progress under new HC KJH, the LV’s could be a serious test for the Irish. This is the biggest TN team ever. They send wave after wave of rebounders to the offensive boards. With Vaughn out, I believe ND’s only 2 front court players are 6’4” Cosgrove and 6’2” SB. Obviously, everyone on ND is going to have to work very hard to box out and rebound.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
There’s no hard and fast rule, honestly. It’s just that, for a while, UConn threads were getting lost among threads about other teams. Use your best judgment- threads can always be moved if necessary

I remember the reasoning.
Thanks for the tip and we'll see what happens (Hope you don't have to move too often! ;) )

Dillon77

Reaction Score
The LV’s come into South Bend in Monday night. I watched a little of TN’s game last night vs Central Ark. They looked considerably better than in their first game. While TN is currently a work in progress under new HC KJH, the LV’s could be a serious test for the Irish. This is the biggest TN team ever. They send wave after wave of rebounders to the offensive boards. With Vaughn out, I believe ND’s only 2 front court players are 6’4” Cosgrove and 6’2” SB. Obviously, everyone on ND is going to have to work very hard to box out and rebound.

Thanks for ther report....

Hmm, "wave after wave of rebounders" sounds familiar to my memory banks...sounds like a description of Pat Summit teams (play hard defense and hit the boards!).

Yes, MM will have to stress her guards rebounding. Transfer Destinee Walker had a double-double (10 points and rebounds) in the Fordham game in her first contest for the Irish. May need more of that. She's got good hops and an instinct for the ball.

Irish have a game tonight: we'll see how they do with a few practices to play sans Mik Vaughn. (It won't be as effective, but at least they will have some prep time behind them.)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Thanks for ther report....

Hmm, "wave after wave of rebounders" sounds familiar to my memory banks...sounds like a description of Pat Summit teams (play hard defense and hit the boards!).
Sometimes the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Sometimes the more things change, the more they stay the same.

To quote those noted hoop fans, the Talking Heads: "...same as it ever was..." ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom