NCAAW to use NET | The Boneyard

NCAAW to use NET

Reaction Score

“The NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Committee announced that beginning with the upcoming 2020-21 season, the NCAA Evaluation Tool will replace the Ratings Percentage Index as the contemporary sorting tool used to measure a team’s quality and help evaluate team resumes for selection and seeding in the Division I Women’s Basketball Championship.”

Reaction Score
I wish they provided us with what this seasons rankings would’ve looked like under NET so that we could get an idea of the impact it might have. It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out and who exactly it favors.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
English please:

"The NCAA Evaluation Tool, which will be known as the NET, relies on game results, strength of schedule, game location, scoring margin, net offensive and defensive efficiency, and the quality of wins and losses. To make sense of team performance data, late-season games (including from the NCAA tournament) were used as test sets to develop a ranking model leveraging machine learning techniques. The model, which used team performance data to predict the outcome of games in test sets, was optimized until it was as accurate as possible. The resulting model is the one that will be used as the NET going forward. "

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

“The NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Committee announced that beginning with the upcoming 2020-21 season, the NCAA Evaluation Tool will replace the Ratings Percentage Index as the contemporary sorting tool used to measure a team’s quality and help evaluate team resumes for selection and seeding in the Division I Women’s Basketball Championship.”

This going to help UConn's and hurt the Baylor's and Maryland's of the basketball world. The ones that schedule tough out of conference schedule while having an equal number of home and away games are going to benefit more from NET then from the RPI.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Forget what I just said. Seems the women's tool is different from the mens. Why that is so, well no figuring the NCAA. Maybe it is just linquistics. Lots of the same factors there.

"What components does the Women’s Basketball NET include?
The women’s basketball NET includes Adjusted Net Efficiency and Team Value Index.

What is meant by Adjusted Net Efficiency?
Adjusted Net Efficiency is a measure of a team’s overall performance during the regular season, determined by the difference between offensive efficiency (points per possession) and defensive efficiency (opponents points per possession). It also accounts for strength of opponents (as measured by their adjusted net efficiency) and location (home/away/neutral) of the games (against Division I opponents only).

What is meant by Team Value Index?
Team Value Index is the results-oriented component of the NET, ranking more highly those teams that played and beat other good teams, factoring in opponent, location of the game and winner."

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well - considering that I have no confidence in the RPI/SOS numbers hopefully this will be better. I suspect it grew out of the sort of work sagarin and massey started.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
How is this going to affect our BYers that cite a team's RPI during every thread concerning rankings and/or bracketology? I wonder if people in the tournament decision process decided how biased the RPI could be just like I tried to explain in many of the rankings and bracketology threads. Hmmm.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Forget what I just said. Seems the women's tool is different from the mens. Why that is so, well no figuring the NCAA. Maybe it is just linquistics. Lots of the same factors there.

The women's NET, unlike the men's won't take into account margin of victory.

"The women’s basketball NET algorithm is similar to the one the men use, although it doesn't take scoring margin into account. The men's algorithm factors in scoring margin with a maximize [sic] of 10-point difference."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How is this going to affect our BYers that cite a team's RPI during every thread concerning rankings and/or bracketology? I wonder if people in the tournament decision process decided how biased the RPI could be just like I tried to explain in many of the rankings and bracketology threads. Hmmm.
While many of us recognize that RPI is biased, we were still making projections based on what the Committee’s Official Metric was with RPI at the time. You’ll likely just see people refer to NET ratings instead of RPI next season as they use official statistical data that the committee uses instead of Massey or Sagiran.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see the new system used for some past years to see if it differed from the RPI/SOS. I hope that the sites that use their own version of RPI will continue it so we can compare/contrast.

RIP RPI

Plebe

Reaction Score
I'd like to see the new system used for some past years to see if it differed from the RPI/SOS. I hope that the sites that use their own version of RPI will continue it so we can compare/contrast.
For many teams it will differ, and very significantly for some. Warren Nolan's site (warrennolan.com) lists both the NET and RPI for MCBB over the past two seasons.

While the NET is probably an improvement over the RPI, it has yielded some funky quirks on the men's side, and it will do little to extinguish the subjectivity (read: controversy) in tournament selection and seeding. This article in The Athletic (from March 6, less than a week before the NCAAs were canceled) goes into some of the glitches of the NET from this past season:

The article notes that the committee's decisions last year did not hew closely to the NET:

The committee proved last year that it wasn’t glued to NET numbers: Temple (56th in NET), Arizona State (63) and St. John’s (73) received at-large bids, and UNC-Greensboro (60) was only knocked out by Oregon winning the Pac-12 tournament. Meanwhile, two teams with top 35 NET rankings, N.C. State (33) and Clemson (35), were left out.​

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The article notes that the committee's decisions last year did not hew closely to the NET:

The committee proved last year that it wasn’t glued to NET numbers: Temple (56th in NET), Arizona State (63) and St. John’s (73) received at-large bids, and UNC-Greensboro (60) was only knocked out by Oregon winning the Pac-12 tournament. Meanwhile, two teams with top 35 NET rankings, N.C. State (33) and Clemson (35), were left out.​

:mad:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Wait what? You're upset over #60 not making it but no comment on #33 NC State not making it, which clearly was raked over by the committee??? If I remember your thread of Hierarchy who you root for #2 was UNC-G and#7 was NC State so you interest of righteousness wanes after #5...cuz, let's be frank Wake Forest is never making the NCAAT with Hoover...:rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I wonder if someone will start a womens net site now...... it would be great if there was a women's kenpom site.

Wait what? You're upset over #60 not making it but no comment on #33 NC State not making it, which clearly was raked over by the committee??? If I remember your thread of Hierarchy who you root for #2 was UNC-G and#7 was NC State so you interest of righteousness wanes after #5...cuz, let's be frank Wake Forest is never making the NCAAT with Hoover...:rolleyes:

I love UNCG. I pull for State........ that was a very good Spartan team.... would rather see the #2 team from the Southern than the #10 team from the ACC make the tourney

Plebe

Reaction Score
I wonder if someone will start a womens net site now...... it would be great if there was a women's kenpom site.
I assume Warren Nolan will post the women's NET on his site, just as he did for the men's.

I love UNCG. I pull for State........ that was a very good Spartan team.... would rather see the #2 team from the Southern than the #10 team from the ACC make the tourney
Gave all those bid-stealing mid-majors over the years a little taste of their own medicine.

Reaction Score
I wish they provided us with what this seasons rankings would’ve looked like under NET so that we could get an idea of the impact it might have. It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out and who exactly it favors.

If it favors anybody, then it shouldn't be used.

Reaction Score
If it favors anybody, then it shouldn't be used.

I meant my observation strictly in the sense of who benefits from this rating as opposed to RPI. For example, would Missouri State and Princeton both be Top 10 Teams under the new rating? Would Stanford and Oregon get a boost because of the tough as nails conference that the Pac-12 was this year? On the men's side, the NET tends to favour one loss or undefeated mid-major teams but I think it's going to be interesting to see how exactly it shakes out.

Reaction Score
If I read the article correctly the NET will be an internal tool and not released publicly. How will that impact Massey and others?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
If I read the article correctly the NET will be an internal tool and not released publicly. How will that impact Massey and others?
View it like the Charlie Crème "bracketology" where he tries to guess the teams and the placement. WarrenNolan had the RPI and as @Plebe surmises, we suspect this site will try to replicate NET for our viewing pleasure and discussion. I still think that the NCAAT Women's committee gets too caught up in legacy names and chooses to ignore some of the tools not favoring that school. For example, Tennessee in my metrics analysis #66 RPI and 1-10 in Q1 games, would not have deserved a bid this year yet, Crème had them in. I would be curious to see where NET had Tennessee and then the committees talking points about them....:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Coincidentally, that's what I use to bring my fish up our of the water with.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I don't believe you read the article correctly:

"The women’s basketball NET rankings will be provided publicly on a daily basis on ncaa.com and ncaa.org starting in early December and continuing throughout the upcoming 2020-21 season."​

Not sure I understand your second question. RPI has (had) no impact on Massey, so why would the NET? And I'm not sure what you mean by "others".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom