NCAAT- Who to root for? | The Boneyard

NCAAT- Who to root for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is the first time I didn't watch the selection show since 2012-13 and the second time since 2009-2010 (there is a pattern here).

Moreover, I really haven't taken the time to look at the bracket much at all and probably don't plan to.

Although I put myself in the camp of mainly just watching Uconn games, the Tournament is still pretty exciting.

So, the question now is who do I root for?

There are some teams who I absolutely will root against (UK, UNC, Duke and others), but since I told myself I need to be more positive this year, I think I will try to root for some teams.

Obviously a cinderella would be optimal, but I'm choosing teams that I think have a decent chance to win it all. Here is my list of five teams, in order:

1. Virginia - I have nothing remotely negative to say about their team or program
2. Gonzaga - Similar to UVA, I wouldn't mind seeing Gonzaga get over the hump
3. Wisconsin- I've sorta gotten used to the thought that Diamond Stone might not come to Uconn anyway.
4. ISU- I like their coach
5. Wow- I honestly cannot find a fifth team.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
SMU or bust for me

Reaction Score
I had this question myself. Virginia and ISU are good choices. Also SMU, right?

Reaction Score
I don't want Louisville or Kentucky to join the 4 title club. Don't have to worry about that this year, so that's good. I called a Wisconsin, Duke, Kentucky, Arizona Final Four before the season with Duke over UK in the title game. I'm sticking with Duke over UK. I don't hate Duke, but I hate how Kentucky operates.

Wichita State, Wisconsin, Eastern Washington, Albany, and whoever is playing Kentucky are my teams this year.

But honestly, this is going to be such a chalk year save for the upsets of overseeded teams.

Reaction Score
Northern Iowa came from nowhere out of the MVC this year. They could play Louisville and Villanova consecutively in the tourney if they survive Wyoming. I could root for them a bit. Yale is out so...:(

I don't like Few as a tourney coach at all. The players and style of ball though are fun to watch at times. Whoever can knock off Duke in the South I will root for.

Reaction Score
I never hated on Jay Wright so I am going old BE here and Villanova. They never had football to stab us in the back during re alignment. I suppose SMU for conference validation reasons. I like Madison so my distant 3rd is Wisconsin phooey.

Reaction Score
For--Wisc, Virginia, Nova, Zags, Zona (pretty much anyone who can potentially take down the Against group)
Against- UK, Duke, UNC

Reaction Score
SMU, Villanova(I liked them during 1984 when UCONN bball was bad) and Cincy(I still don't understand the hate towards them besides playing some ugly bball). I hope they beat Kentucky! I feel they match up with them physically but will they score enough.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
SMOD! (The Sweet Meteor of Death)

relax_meteor_hitting_earth_2012.jpg

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I can tolerate an SMU run (especially a blowout of UCLA) but I can't stomach seeing Nic Moore lift a NC trophy. Once the 12-16 seeds are eliminated, I think Michigan State might have a shot if they upset UVA. I could also pull for ISU if they get past Gonzaga & Duke. Of the top seeds, I guess Wisconsin is the least odious.

Above all though, Anyone But Kentucky. Duke is a close second but I'd prefer them over a 40-0 season.

Reaction Score
Northern Iowa came from nowhere out of the MVC this year. They could play Louisville and Villanova consecutively in the tourney if they survive Wyoming. I could root for them a bit. Yale is out so...:(

I don't like Few as a tourney coach at all. The players and style of ball though are fun to watch at times. Whoever can knock off Duke in the South I will root for.
N.I. got the AAC treatment. They had a great regular season record and are ranked top 10 yet got a 5 seed. Meanwhile Louisville gets a 4 seed. I think Maryland could do a little damage but they are in Kentucky's bracket. I like their guards. SMU has to beat UCLA or our conference will be further embarrassed. Iowa State is a trendy pick but I'll go with Wisconsin to pay back UK for last years loss.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Wisconsin is the only single "favorite" who I'll be rooting for. Otherwise I will be rooting for my bracket (provided I do one) and upsets/lower seeds.

Reaction Score
Iowa State - while most of college bball has become nearly unwatchable, they're one of the only teams in the country that actually plays a fun brand of basketball.

I'll root for SMU and Cincy, too, but won't really care when they lose. And obviously the underdogs, because duckk the P5.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Villanova, Gonzaga, UVA.

Rooting hard for Valparaiso and Stephen F. Austin to go on cinderella runs as well.

Reaction Score
Wisconsin, SMU, Providence, Nova, Zags, Iowa State.
Only rooting for PC so far. Other than that, this is mostly my list.

No Kentucky.
No UNC--unless they are playing Kentucky.
No Duke, unless they are playing UK or UNC.
No Louisville, unless they are playing UK, UNC, or Duke.
No Kansas, unless they are playing UK, UNC, Duke, or Louisville.

Otherwise, go SMU, Gonzaga, Wisconsin, Arizona, Iowa State, Wichita State, or Villanova, in roughly that order. I'll pick up other teams as they get farther.

Reaction Score
SMU Cincinnati, and all nonpower conference teams, and anyone playing a nbe team.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Anybody but Kentucky. Maybe even dook, but i threw up a little bit thinking that.

Reaction Score
Forgot about iowa state. I like those guys so ill be rooting for them too. Maybe ill root for Cinci too but it wont be as easy as rooting for SMU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom