NCAA's Mo'ne MONEY Hypocrisy | The Boneyard

NCAA's Mo'ne MONEY Hypocrisy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The NCAA has declared that Mo'ne Davis' appearance in a Chevy World Series commercial, for which she was financially compensated, will not affect her amateur status and future eligibility. The NCAA is okay with this young athlete accepting endorsement $$$$. So how come that same NCAA is going ballistic investigating the possibility that FSU QB Jameis Winston may have signed football memorabilia and received $$$$ for doing so? If found to have done this, Winston will receive harsh sanctions and likely lose his college eligibility. The NCAA is just fine with some athletes being paid for the use of their image or signature but looks to destroy the careers of others for doing the same? And while on the subject of the NCAA and fairness, Mark Emmert, does a congratulatory phone call to a 7th grader warrant a secondary rules violation?

Reaction Score
The NCAA has declared that Mo'ne Davis' appearance in a Chevy World Series commercial, for which she was financially compensated, will not affect her amateur status and future eligibility. The NCAA is okay with this young athlete accepting endorsement . So how come that same NCAA is going ballistic investigating the possibility that FSU QB Jameis Winston may have signed football memorabilia and received for doing so? If found to have done this, Winston will receive harsh sanctions and likely lose his college eligibility. The NCAA is just fine with some athletes being paid for the use of their image or signature but looks to destroy the careers of others for doing the same? And while on the subject of the NCAA and fairness, Mark Emmert, does a congratulatory phone call to a 7th grader warrant a secondary rules violation?

Reaction Score
The NCAA has declared that Mo'ne Davis' appearance in a Chevy World Series commercial, for which she was financially compensated, will not affect her amateur status and future eligibility. The NCAA is okay with this young athlete accepting endorsement . So how come that same NCAA is going ballistic investigating the possibility that FSU QB Jameis Winston may have signed football memorabilia and received for doing so? If found to have done this, Winston will receive harsh sanctions and likely lose his college eligibility. The NCAA is just fine with some athletes being paid for the use of their image or signature but looks to destroy the careers of others for doing the same? And while on the subject of the NCAA and fairness, Mark Emmert, does a congratulatory phone call to a 7th grader warrant a secondary rules violation?
Good for her. I'm sure the NCAA is gagging on their own rules, but the idea of retroactively punishing someone of Mo'ne's stature is too much for them these days.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Just ask Jeremy Bloom.

He got screwed at first. Did they ever reverse his decision? I thought they passed some new rules to account for his situation (ie supporting participation in an unrelated sport), but maybe it came too late for him. Then again, i may not remember any of this correctly.

Reaction Score
I'm sure there will be no issue between the NCAA and Davis, UNLESS she signs with UCONN.

Then I'm sure the retroactive punishment will be swift and severe.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
He got screwed at first. Did they ever reverse his decision? I thought they passed some new rules to account for his situation (ie supporting participation in an unrelated sport), but maybe it came too late for him. Then again, i may not remember any of this correctly.
The rules prior to Bloom allowed for his football eligibility because his contracts were all connected to snowboarding and being a world champion class performer. The NCAA went against their rules to make him ineligible after the fact rewriting their own rules. Bloom's crime was being worth too much in endorsements. The mess got uglier as it went on costing him the last two years of his college career.

From Wikipedia,
"Bloom was a wide receiver and punt returner for the University of Colorado football team. As a freshman he was selected to the first-team Freshman All-America list by collegefootballnews.com and the FWAA. He set many school records during his two years playing football for the Colorado Buffaloes, including a 96-yard (88 m) touchdown reception, the longest in school history. After a long fought battle with the NCAA to keep his skiing hopes alive for the 2006 Winter Olympics the NCAA declared him permanently ineligible, cutting short his college football career by two years. He went on to regain his #1 in the world skiing ranking in 2005 and competed for the United States in the 2006 Olympics. Two days after the 2006 Torino Olympics Bloom flew to Indianapolis to compete in the NFL Scouting Combine.

The NCAA has since changed the rules on amateurism so that student-athletes are only ineligible for a sport if they accept money for that sport. Under these rules, Bloom would be ineligible to ski for the Colorado team, but would be eligible to compete in all other sports, including football."

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The rules prior to Bloom allowed for his football eligibility because his contracts were all connected to snowboarding and being a world champion class performer. The NCAA went against their rules to make him ineligible after the fact rewriting their own rules. Bloom's crime was being worth too much in endorsements. The mess got uglier as it went on costing him the last two years of his college career.

From Wikipedia,
"Bloom was a wide receiver and punt returner for the University of Colorado football team. As a freshman he was selected to the first-team Freshman All-America list by collegefootballnews.com and the FWAA. He set many school records during his two years playing football for the Colorado Buffaloes, including a 96-yard (88 m) touchdown reception, the longest in school history. After a long fought battle with the NCAA to keep his skiing hopes alive for the 2006 Winter Olympics the NCAA declared him permanently ineligible, cutting short his college football career by two years. He went on to regain his #1 in the world skiing ranking in 2005 and competed for the United States in the 2006 Olympics. Two days after the 2006 Torino Olympics Bloom flew to Indianapolis to compete in the NFL Scouting Combine.

The NCAA has since changed the rules on amateurism so that student-athletes are only ineligible for a sport if they accept money for that sport. Under these rules, Bloom would be ineligible to ski for the Colorado team, but would be eligible to compete in all other sports, including football."

So basically, they went out of their way to screw him. Typical NCAA. It is truly amazing what this organization manages to 'accomplish'.

Reaction Score
So basically, they went out of their way to screw him. Typical NCAA. It is truly amazing what this organization manages to 'accomplish'.
They aren't accountable to anyone, that's the problem. The NCAA can do whatever it wants to whoever it wants whenever it wants. The rules are just for show. You can bet the next time something happens to UConn, Warde will just take it because he's not interested in fighting. Way to throw Geno under the bus, buddy (with respect to Mo'ne Davis)! The only thing the NCAA understands is lawsuits, and those take years to get settled. The strange thing, at least to me, is that it is run by people from the universities themselves, so you'd think it would be a little bit like letting the inmates run the prison, but that doesn't seem to be how it works out.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
They aren't accountable to anyone, that's the problem. The NCAA can do whatever it wants to whoever it wants whenever it wants. The rules are just for show. You can bet the next time something happens to UConn, Warde will just take it because he's not interested in fighting. Way to throw Geno under the bus, buddy (with respect to Mo'ne Davis)! The only thing the NCAA understands is lawsuits, and those take years to get settled. The strange thing, at least to me, is that it is run by people from the universities themselves, so you'd think it would be a little bit like letting the inmates run the prison, but that doesn't seem to be how it works out.

If the UNC thing happened here, there would cease to be an interscholastic sports program at UCONN.

Reaction Score
nothing surprises me with the NCAA anymore..... they are so easy to mock..... a friggin joke the whole ncaa institution

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Absolutely. I consider the situation with Bloom to be the NCAA's final decent into the lowest rings of Dante's Inferno.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
UCONN should apply for an appeal for the secondary violation they received.
I respectfully disagree. The NCAA can be described with many negative adjectives, including "vindictive." If UConn appealed and even if they won, the NCAA would come after them harder in the future, as if to make some sort of face-saving point. In this instance, there is no administrative or legal cost, nor penalty, nor fine. UConn played it smart by ducking the punch. And yes, that understandibly grates on us.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree. The NCAA can be described with many negative adjectives, including "vindictive." If UConn appealed and even if they won, the NCAA would come after them harder in the future, as if to make some sort of face-saving point. In this instance, there is no administrative or legal cost, nor penalty, nor fine. UConn played it smart by ducking the punch. And yes, that understandibly grates on us.
Not likely because it would clearly be seen that way and besides the NCAA would at that point look like it was exercizing a vendetta.

I don't expect the university to do it for a more practical reason the expense of the paperwork to appeal is greater than what would be recovered.

Reaction Score
I understand everyone's view about the ridiculous ruling against UCONN for the flagrant violation of recruiting a player that is tooooooo young. But I haven't heard anyone comment about the bigger picture. And that is 12 year olds world wide know the best WCBB program in the country. :)

45 TO GO

Reaction Score
If you legal types have some free time could you explain something to me? Long before the Jeremy Bloom situation, Chris Weinke played for the Toronto Blue Jays before his NCAA career at FSU. Now he was paid money from owners that made money on merchandising that had his number, image and whatever else on their merchandise. Isn't that a rules violation? Didn't he profit from the use of his image and what not? Of course it is easier to mess with a college athlete than the likes of billionaire MLB team owners. But I was just curious. :)

Reaction Score
When something doesn't make sense to me I like to go back and review my assumptions. In the case of the NCAA I was under the mistaken assumption that their rules were intended to protect athletes and sports. I was wrong. The one and only function of the NCAA is to protect a multi-billion dollar entertainment industry. A large part of the appeal of the college sports business is the image of the athletes as "amateurs". And it's that image that the NCAA is protecting. The rest is just PR.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If you legal types have some free time could you explain something to me? Long before the Jeremy Bloom situation, Chris Weinke played for the Toronto Blue Jays before his NCAA career at FSU. Now he was paid money from owners that made money on merchandising that had his number, image and whatever else on their merchandise. Isn't that a rules violation? Didn't he profit from the use of his image and what not? Of course it is easier to mess with a college athlete than the likes of billionaire MLB team owners. But I was just curious. :)
There had been a principle of separation between sports in existence for a while. Weinberg benefitted from that wall between football and baseball. That is what contributed to the hypocrisy of the NCAA's position regarding Bloom. Apparently, snowboarding and playing football in Colorado were too much alike.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Oh, the NCAA answers to someone -- the folks who pay them. (See upper echelon football and basketball programs).

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There had been a principle of separation between sports in existence for a while. Weinberg benefitted from that wall between football and baseball. That is what contributed to the hypocrisy of the NCAA's position regarding Bloom. Apparently, snowboarding and playing football in Colorado were too much alike.
Weike or Weinberg as autospell likes it. Ugh! I hate not being able to edit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom