OT: - NCAA Womens Volleyball Regional Semifinals 12-6 ESPNU | The Boneyard

OT: NCAA Womens Volleyball Regional Semifinals 12-6 ESPNU

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
NCAA Womens Volleyball Regional Semifinals Triple header now being televised on ESPNU. A nice palette warmer for those who cant wait for our own basketball tournament. The nature of volleyball allows the announcers to provide a lot more background material about the players and programs which I like. (I think I am in the minority on this issue)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
These WCVB crowds make WCBB crowds look like lines at a corner lemonade stand.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
These WCVB crowds make WCBB crowds look like lines at a corner lemonade stand.

I'm not sure what that means. Big 10 teams tend to have strong fan bases, especially Nebraska. They are absolutely rabid for their vball program. Hawaii has a really strong following too.

My UW Huskies went down in flames in the 2nd round last weekend. Just pulling for any Pac 12 teams now, plus BYU. Anybody but Penn St. or Nebraska is okay too.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what that means. Big 10 teams tend to have strong fan bases, especially Nebraska. They are absolutely rabid for their vball program. Hawaii has a really strong following too.

My UW Huskies went down in flames in the 2nd round last weekend. Just pulling for any Pac 12 teams now, plus BYU. Anybody but Penn St. or Nebraska is okay too.

Well. BYU playing now (seed 13) vs Kentucky (seed 4) Tied 2-2 in the 5th set BYU 6 Kentucky 5. As close as it gets.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeah, I see that. BYU was up big early in the 5th but Kentucky came roaring back.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yeah, I see that. BYU was up big early in the 5th but Kentucky came roaring back.

Yup. Penn State (1 rank) vs Missouri (unseeded). PSU 1-0 25-17. Probably will not be close.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Penn State wins it in three straight games but that result obscures the fact that Missouri was up 51 early in the third than a Penn State came back a bit they extended it again to a four-point lead at 10 six and almost made it to 11 six but a challenge stood and Penn State came roaring back. Lee was awesome as usual.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Nebraska absolutely steamrolled Colorado, which was without its starting libero. Not that Colorado had much of a prayer anyway, but that destroyed their back row play.

Plebe

Reaction Score

Also, these regional tournaments are being played on the home court of the highest seed in each region. This was a change made by the volleyball committee a few years ago, precisely to remedy poor attendance at regionals.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

He means that the volleyball crowds in the NCAA volleyball tourney are much larger than the women's games in the NCAA basketball tourney on average, except for the national championship game. I believe that is what he means.

JordyG

Reaction Score

Ever see the line at a corner lemonade stand? Pretty small. In some WCBB games this year the band had a better attendance. Not so in WCVB. Every time I tune in the stands are packed.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I guess corner lemonade stands aren't a big thing around here. Yeah I definitely saw one of those games recently where the band outnumbered the rest of the fans in attendance (Gonzaga @ Washington St.).

Plebe

Reaction Score
Ever see the line at a corner lemonade stand? Pretty small. In some WCBB games this year the band had a better attendance. Not so in WCVB. Every time I tune in the stands are packed.
Here are the top schools in WVB attendance this year:
upload_2017-12-8_16-26-0.png

For comparison, here are the WCBB attendance figures from last year:
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/w_basketball_RB/reports/Attend/2017.pdf

In summary, average attendance is considerably higher for WCBB than for WCVB.

For example, the #30 team in WCBB attendance (Middle Tennessee at 3,626) is close to the #5 team in WCVB attendance (Texas at 3,607).

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Down to 8 teams left. The almighty Big 10 has 3 teams and the Pac 12 has 2. SEC also has 2 and then there's Texas.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Down to 8 teams left. The almighty Big 10 has 3 teams and the Pac 12 has 2. SEC also has 2 and then there's Texas.
Match of the day was the first one, Kentucky-BYU. Amazingly high level of play for a Sweet 16 match, and hard-fought through five tough sets.

The Texas-Utah match was highly dramatic (16-14 in the 5th) but very, very sloppy.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I watched a bit of the matches off and on. I was really pulling for Utah. So close, but couldn't quite pull it off.

The Stanford-Wisconsin match was an offensive showcase. Both teams hit for high percentages from what I gathered. You never know with volleyball, but if Texas and Stanford both play similarly to how they played today, the Cardinal should definitely prevail.

I haven't seen Florida play at all this year. USC seems like a bit of a long shot but I didn't expect them to sweep Minnesota today either.

I'll be shocked if Penn St. and Nebraska don't advance, that would be a heck of a show down with those 2 in a semi final next weekend.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I watched a bit of the matches off and on. I was really pulling for Utah. So close, but couldn't quite pull it off.

The Stanford-Wisconsin match was an offensive showcase. Both teams hit for high percentages from what I gathered. You never know with volleyball, but if Texas and Stanford both play similarly to how they played today, the Cardinal should definitely prevail.

I haven't seen Florida play at all this year. USC seems like a bit of a long shot but I didn't expect them to sweep Minnesota today either.

I'll be shocked if Penn St. and Nebraska don't advance, that would be a heck of a show down with those 2 in a semi final next weekend.
Yeah, I was pulling for Utah as well. Adora Anae is one of my favorite players to watch, and Utah has really come on strong in the past couple years. When they first joined the Pac-12, they were near the bottom of the conference. I like seeing new programs rise up and achieve success.

Stanford is an all-around better team than Texas, but Texas has amazing offensive weapons in Ogbogu, White and Nwanebu. Their passing and setting are just extremely inconsistent. If they pass well and their freshman setter holds her own, they can hang with anyone.

Florida has three great players: middle hitter Rhamat Alhassan, outside hitter Carli Snyder, and opposite Shainah Joseph. Alhassan and Snyder are likely to be First Team All-Americans. Florida is certainly beatable but when they're clicking, watch out.

Even though the committee seeded Kentucky #4 and they're hosting regionals, everyone seems to think Nebraska will roll them tomorrow. Certainly Nebraska has been impressive thus far, absolutely crushing Washington State and Colorado. It would be very hard to bet against them.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sounds like you know your volleyball Plebe.

I kinda figured Kentucky was a paper tiger and really thought BYU would take them out. All credit to UK for finishing strong in that 5th set. I'd like nothing more than for them to beat Nebraska, but I don't think it will happen. There's a long and not very friendly history of UW and Nebraska meeting in the tournament. Was fairly back and forth for a while but Nebraska has won the last 3 or 4 in a row. And their coach comes off as quite a bit of a jerk.

I have nothing against Russ Rose from Penn St. on the other hand, he seems like a good guy, but I got kinda tired of them winning. 6 Championships in 8 years I think.

Plebe

Reaction Score

I kinda figured Kentucky was a paper tiger and really thought BYU would take them out. All credit to UK for finishing strong in that 5th set. I'd like nothing more than for them to beat Nebraska, but I don't think it will happen. There's a long and not very friendly history of UW and Nebraska meeting in the tournament. Was fairly back and forth for a while but Nebraska has won the last 3 or 4 in a row. And their coach comes off as quite a bit of a jerk.

I have nothing against Russ Rose from Penn St. on the other hand, he seems like a good guy, but I got kinda tired of them winning. 6 Championships in 8 years I think.
Oh yes ha I am well aware of the history between UW and Nebraska in volleyball. And I would love nothing more than to see Mr. "The Ball Was Out" walk away tomorrow with that mopey look on his face after a loss ;) Nebraska has pretty much always been the team I've rooted against. But they are an outstanding team with a very balanced attack, and their combination of blocking and digging may be the strongest in the country.

A lot of people from the Big Ten and Pac-12 are dismissive of Florida and Kentucky (and SEC volleyball in general) much the same way that UConn, SEC, and ACC snobs in women's basketball have thumbed their nose at the Pac-12 for years (and still continue to do so, to a degree). That probably won't change until one or both of Florida or Kentucky reach the Final Four and/or start knocking off the likes of Nebraska and Penn State in the tournament.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

Yeah I hate it when one team wins year after year after year.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeah I hate it when one team wins year after year after year.

Yeah, there are undeniable parallels between PSU women's vball and UConn women's hoops. The Nittany Lions even ran off a winning streak that lasted at least 2 full seasons, maybe even 3.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Utah has really come on strong in the past couple years. When they first joined the Pac-12, they were near the bottom of the conference.

Definitely agree. Same story w/ Colorado. Both struggled for several years to adjust to the competition level in the Pac 12 but they are doing well now.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Mr. "The Ball Was Out"

I attended that match! Always sweet to see Nebraska lose. I had know idea the two coaches were at each other's throats after the match until after I had gotten home.

Unfortunately I was also at the match when UW was up about 9-3 in a 5th set and then Jordan Larson went on a ridiculous serving run of about 9 or 10 straight points and the Huskers emerged victorious. That was a crushing defeat for the Dawgs.

Another year I saw UW take out a young Penn St. squad...that didn't lose another match for about 3 years after that night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom