NCAA Women college recruiting analysis | The Boneyard

NCAA Women college recruiting analysis

Reaction Score
Duke, Texas and Tennessee in Top Ten. Mississippi State nowhere to be found.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's over the past 10 years. Not surprised to see Tennessee there. Warlick recruited like gangbusters while the head coach. Let's hope Harper does not fare nearly as well!

While some schools do more with less, Duke is the perfect example of doing less with more...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
abandon.gif

See.... I was in a good mood until I entered this thread and read through that list..... now Im in a not so good mood :mad: Lemme go eat some dessert..... lawd hammercy

Reaction Score
View attachment 54232

See.... I was in a good mood until I entered this thread and read through that list..... now Im in a not so good mood :mad: Lemme go eat some dessert..... lawd hammercy

Respect. Sympathy for anyone who continues to root for a disappointing team. Case in point, I’m an Orioles fan.

Of course, when was the last time the O’s were tied for first in May? :confused:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Really striking that of the four schools with the most Top 10 recruits, UConn is the only one to make a lot of noise during this decade. Pretty appalling output for Duke, Tennessee, and Texas, given that those three schools have more Top Ten recruits than Baylor, South Carolina, Louisville, Maryland, Notre Dame, and Stanford COMBINED!, and not one of those three made a single final four during that decade.

Reaction Score
Really striking that of the four schools with the most Top 10 recruits, UConn is the only one to make a lot of noise during this decade. Pretty appalling output for Duke, Tennessee, and Texas, given that those three schools have more Top Ten recruits than Baylor, South Carolina, Louisville, Maryland, Notre Dame, and Stanford COMBINED!, and not one of those three made a single final four during that decade.

To follow up on your observations, I wonder if these two groups of “top” recruiting teams can be distinguished by recruiting philosophy. Those that identify top players who fit with what they are trying to do, and those that simple look to scoop up any top ranked player.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the article is a little out of balance - top 100 recruits is not really a valid criteria in WCBB - the drop off from say the top 25 (or 30) and the next 75 is significant. And the drop off in the talent even in the top 10 is significant. I would rather have seen it listing top 25 and top 5.

I know there are a number of exceptions - players like Dolson for example, but they really are the exceptions and most of the impact players come from the top 25.

This does not reflect well on Duke, TX, and TN - coaching does matter! Hmmm - TX and TN made changes this year ... (sorry Triad!:eek::))

Reaction Score
Duke, Texas and Tennessee in Top Ten. Mississippi State nowhere to be found.

From the article:

"But it’s deeper than that. Schools aren’t only trying to recruit the highest-rated players. They want to find and develop the best players. ."

What comes in vs what goes out.

Recruiting:

1589474646040.png

Vs.

First Round NBA draft choices by school (Top 10) but for more than 10 years so will not align perfectly.

1)UConn - 26
2)Tenn - 15
3)Stan - 12
4)Duke - 11
5)ND-10

6)UNC - 9
Baylor-9
SCar -9

9)UGA - 8
Maryland-8

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is a margin of error. ESPN/HoopGurlz is not as accurate at ranking as they think they are. I would like to see the same numbers from the other ranking sites.

Were was Miss State? Not in top 30?

Reaction Score
I think the article is a little out of balance - top 100 recruits is not really a valid criteria in WCBB - the drop off from say the top 25 (or 30) and the next 75 is significant. And the drop off in the talent even in the top 10 is significant. I would rather have seen it listing top 25 and top 5.

I know there are a number of exceptions - players like Dolson for example, but they really are the exceptions and most of the impact players come from the top 25.

This does not reflect well on Duke, TX, and TN - coaching does matter! Hmmm - TX and TN made changes this year ... (sorry Triad!:eek::))
I think it's out of balance too because a player ranked number 11th is in the same category as a player ranked 95th and that's huge drop off in talent. There's not too many players ranked in the 90s that are playing in the WNBA. I wouldn't expect Miss St. and Oregon to have many top 10 players because came on the last part of the decade. Most of Duke and UNC top 10 players came from the early part of the decade. I know off the top of my head that UNC last top 10 players from the decade came in 2013. Did the article take in account of transfers? Who gets credit for them, the school that played for first or last school they played for?

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
There is no better evidence that Geno is the best player development coach in WCBB than this.
shouldn't it also take into account the quality of players? so something like a top10 WNBA/top10 HS class? or a net score (how many did you actually add/improve from non-top 10 into the top 10)?

Reaction Score
How many of those kids from Duke, Tennessee, and Texas transfer out?

Westbrook, Azura, & Prince right off the bat.

Reaction Score
There is no better evidence that Geno is the best player development coach in WCBB than this.

One could also postulate that he (and other top coaches) has a better eye for talent than some on line recruiting "guru."

An old addage in SEC football recruiting circles is that a comfortable coach recruits the players he thinks are best. A coach on the hot-seat recruits for "star ratings."

Reaction Score
Has UConn ever won a national championship without a #1 HS recruit? I’m not sure if Lobo was one or not. But one could argue that part of the differential in our success this factor (and Geno, of course)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom