NCAA Votes to Allow College Athletes to Profit off Name Image and Likeness | The Boneyard

NCAA Votes to Allow College Athletes to Profit off Name Image and Likeness

Reaction Score
trouble for the NBE before UConn even had a chance to recapture its glory?

maybe i'm just cynical, but with the exception of Duke, Notre Dame, USC, maybe Nova... big public schools are gonna round up all their boosters like never before, putting small private schools at a tremendous disadvantage. my only hope is that with the ability to legally profit from their NIL, recruits will be much more hesitant to take under the table payments and endorsements that would surely violate whatever rules are implemented...but i'm not holding my breath

Last edited:

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score

For a little more info if you're looking for it. January 2021 implementation it looks like. Val Ackerman of Big East got the ball rolling in the meeting it seems.

Reaction Score
At least our AG/senator’s won’t be taking on a gorilla

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
This is not a good thing, the beginning of the end of amateurism. Stop handing out taxpayer funded scholarships & $ to pay for facilities and such. Title 9 lawsuits will get this all twisted into a cash snafu

If the money is coming from private enterprise is that even in play?

Reaction Score
This is the only thing that can save UConn athletics, IMO. We are more P5 than G5. While it may not be good or clean it's the only way we can remain with the Haves versus the HaveNots.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Booster: come play at State U and i'll make sure you do some commercials for my dealerships. You'll make a million dollars your first year.

Recruit: uh, ok.

Booster: That's some real smart thinking there, son.
It will probably be somewhat more subtle, but only marginally so.

Reaction Score
Booster: come play at State U and i'll make sure you do some commercials for my dealerships. You'll make a million dollars your first year.

Recruit: uh, ok.

Booster: That's some real smart thinking there, son.
Was thinking the same thing. What is going to stop this from escalating into bidding wars on recruits? (way more than we have now)

Reaction Score
Was thinking the same thing. What is going to stop this from escalating into bidding wars on recruits? (way more than we have now)
Nothing. What is stopping people from setting up dummy corporations to filter money to recruits in the form of endorsements? Nothing. This will lead to the end of amateurism in due time. However, this is the product of a governing agency being a clown show for years and the government forcing their hand.

the Q

Reaction Score
Nothing. What is stopping people from setting up dummy corporations to filter money to recruits in the form of endorsements? Nothing. This will lead to the end of amateurism in due time. However, this is the product of a governing agency being a clown show for years and the government forcing their hand.

I think you mean the govt running in someone elses lane....

the Q

Reaction Score
So who starts their own eBay like spinoff site first?

Rivals or 247?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You people are assuming recruits pick schools now for academic reasons?

It's just a new layer to the recruiting process. Some schools will adapt, some won't and the world keeps spinning. Only now the people you pay to watch will make a few bucks.

Did we enjoy our championships because the kids were poorer? I'm pretty sure they came here looking for the eventual payoff that comes with being coached by Calhoun.

Reaction Score
Yeah.

I’m not against things like the UCF kicker making money, or them getting paid for video games or shirts or whatever. But this was always an end around to legalize pay to play.
Yup, it sounds nice in theory and any reasonable person thinks people should be paid when their likeness is used and others are getting paid for it but we live in a predatory capatalism world. This is going to breed more corruption and create a larger divide between the have and have nots.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Better conference = more TV exposure in prime time = higher chance to profit off of your own likeness

Why would anyone want to go to a smaller school, especially if you’re a top or borderline top recruit? This is just the beginning.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
Yup, it sounds nice in theory and any reasonable person thinks people should be paid when their likeness is used and others are getting paid for it but we live in a predatory capatalism world. This is going to breed more corruption and create a larger divide between the have and have nots.
Human nature

Reaction Score
This is the only thing that can save UConn athletics, IMO. We are more P5 than G5. While it may not be good or clean it's the only way we can remain with the Haves versus the HaveNots.

so UConn will be the only Have in a conference of Have Nots? what is that worth?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom