NCAA Transfer Portal - The process | Page 14 | The Boneyard

NCAA Transfer Portal - The process

Reaction Score
Any chance Edsall will attempt to go after former Texas Tech Qb? Exciting to watch and is a dual threat Qb. Definitely an upgraded Pindell 2.0 with better passing

He'd be a GREAT fit for us, which means more than likely it's a pipe dream at best (which makes zero sense)

Reaction Score
QB Starkel (formerly Texas A&M, then Arkansas) transferring to San Jose State who we are playing in 2020.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Simply hilarious....or negative harbinger for kids at G5 schools when their program gets off to a bad start?

Reaction Score
Simply hilarious....or negative harbinger for kids at G5 schools when their program gets off to a bad start?

P5 will use intermediaries to recruit right off G5 rosters. Bagmen in full effect.

Reaction Score
To be fair I think the staff are engaging players in the portal. The problem is - UCONN is not a destination many want to transfer to. Is what it is.
a bit demoralizing as a fan... the only thing that fixes this is we win with what we got.. BUT, we gotta try and win games.. moral victories are no longer in play....

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
You can only bring in those who want to come in. They are hitting the portal, but you can't make someone come or even visit.

Reaction Score
You can only bring in those who want to come in. They are hitting the portal, but you can't make someone come or even visit.
I know bro.. It's just so bothersome to see all of what we have right at these athletes' fingertips and noone wants to even take advantage of it.. Not that noone, but the top tier talent type kids (no disrespect to the kids we already have... they're just not immediate impact kids.. they get thrown in the fire way too soon.)

Reaction Score
we need to recognize on the college football highway, we are viewed as a Weigh Station. Independence isn't helping. Not winning and having the media focus on a ll things negative is not helping. Unimaginative team concepts is not helping. Of campus stadium that is less than half filled is not helping.

You are a 4 star player who is unhappy in his current environment - why are you coming here? And don't say playing time; if I am as good as I think I am I should get PT wherever I go.

Reaction Score
P5 will use intermediaries to recruit right off G5 rosters. Bagmen in full effect.
Actually, if you check the transfer portal, G5 to P5 transfers are not common. What is more common are P5 to G5 (or lower) transfers, P5 to P5 transfers, and G5 to G5 or lower transfers. Here is the current data:

P5 to G5 or lower transfers: 76
P5 to P5 transfers: 48
G5 to G5 or lower transfers: 38
G5 to P5 transfers: 14
FCS to P5 transfers: 2

The numbers make sense as the reason most kids transfer is lack of playing time or a coaching change. The D'Eriq King situation is an outlier in which a very good G5 player (potentially) transfers to a P5 school.

One other point on transfers. Usually, kids transfer to schools that either recruited them in high school (already have ties) or their hometown is relatively close to the new school. For example, USF is getting Florida kids returning home. QBs can be different as they are looking for an opportunity to start.

Reaction Score
The portal is new. Give it time and you'll see G5 to P5 more. I expect Coyle to end up at a P5.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Ireland Burke - three star DT from Queens appears to be headed closer to home by transferring to Rutty after just one year at BC. He has some UConn coaches following.

Reaction Score
The portal is new. Give it time and you'll see G5 to P5 more. I expect Coyle to end up at a P5.
I just don’t think so. There are plenty of P5 transfers available and if you can sign 4* and 5* recruits as well, why go after G5 transfers?

Reaction Score
The Coyle situation is somewhat odd. He hasn’t graduated yet, so I would think he has to finish up the Spring semester at UConn to graduate and be immediately eligible as a grad transfer next year. So, that means if you are going to recruit him now, you have to be certain he will graduate and that he is good enough to play. And, he would miss Spring practice at a new school and miss strength and conditioning this winter. I think these issues complicate his transfer.

One last point. If you enter the portal before the Spring semester starts, the school is not obligated to keep the player on scholarship. I would think if players were asked to leave, UConn will probably honor the scholarship for the Spring semester for the redshirt juniors. If players are leaving on their own as redshirt juniors, they probably should have waited until January 22nd to enter the portal as then UConn would be obligated to honor your scholarship for the semester.

Reaction Score
I think by bringing up Coyle you are actually confirming Jim’s point. Out of all of our transfers, MAYBE one will have a shot at P5. As he states, not as common as people want to think

Reaction Score
Ireland Burke - three star DT from Queens appears to be headed closer to home by transferring to Rutty after just one year at BC. He has some UConn coaches following.

that one was probably a no brainer...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom