NCAA Tournament Day 1 Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

NCAA Tournament Day 1 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I sincerely can't believe they called that a goal-tend.

Not really. It would have hit the rim. By rule he goal tended it.
Just leave it alone. SMU's fault for not taking care of business. Don't ever leave it in the hands of the refs.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
There's a reason this is called March Madness.

Reaction Score
SMU needed 3 timeouts during that collapse.

One up 4 and their O stagnant. One up 2 trying to bring the ball up the court which resulted in a turnover. And one to wrap sense of that final call and set something up with 10 secs.

Reaction Score
Nic Moore, wide open for the win, barely grazes the front of the rim.

Reaction Score
The NCAA rules:

Goaltending occurs when a defensive player touches the ball during a fieldgoal try and each of the following conditions is met: (Exceptions: Rule 10-4.1.i)

1. The ball is on its downward flight; and
2. The ball is above the level of the ring and has the possibility, while in flight, of entering the basket and is not touching the cylinder
It had no shot at going it. It was caroming off (if it touched anything)... Maybe I'm misreading, but...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Am I the only one that really doesn't care? I don't have any allegiance to this league yet unfortunately and look at all other programs as competition to get out of this mess.
Check the "units" thread

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
The NCAA rules:

Goaltending occurs when a defensive player touches the ball during a fieldgoal try and each of the following conditions is met: (Exceptions: Rule 10-4.1.i)

1. The ball is on its downward flight; and
2. The ball is above the level of the ring and has the possibility, while in flight, of entering the basket and is not touching the cylinder
It had no shot at going it. It was caroming off... Maybe I'm misreading, but...
You beat me to it.... That ball had absolutely zero chance of going in, whether it hit the rim or not..... Horrible call... Can't think of one worse in recent memory

Ponies were straight up..... Robbed!

Reaction Score
You beat me to it.... That ball had absolutely zero chance of going in, whether it hit the rim or not..... Horrible call... Can't think of one worse in recent memory
Right. And the ball was partially below the rim. I really can't think of a worse call. If this were Duke or UNC, rather than SMU, I wonder how the NCAA would respond.

I think they realized it, too. That's why there was that delay. But you can't review goaltend, and you already whistled the play dead. Who does the ball go to?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

I was wrong. Well that's what I get for taking the analysts word for it being a "good" call. I suspect we're going to be hearing an awful lot about this in the next 24 hours. They'll say it was a judgement call and not reviewable. And then during the off-season they'll make it reviewable.

Reaction Score
I was wrong. Well that's what I get for taking the analysts word for it being a "good" call. I suspect we're going to be hearing an awful lot about this in the next 24 hours. They'll say it was a judgement call and not reviewable. And then during the off-season they'll make it reviewable.
Frankly, a play that serious should be reviewable. Getting the call right is what matters most. And they blew it big time.

Reaction Score
If that was goaltending then they need to replay the '83 NC State Championship and shutter the V Foundation, because it was the same play.
Offensive interference! Retroactively give Houston the title! This conference need some positive press...

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I have said all season that these refs were trying to screw us and our conference.

Can you believe that the NCAA chief ref and also broadcasters lie directly to the fans as if we can not believe the evidence of our own eyes.
That ball was below the rim and to the side and had no shot of hitting rim.
These people are embarrassing themselves. Not really, they are shameless.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
I have said all season that these refs were trying to screw us and our conference.

Can you believe that the NCAA chief ref and also broadcasters lie directly to the fans as if we can not believe the evidence of our own eyes.
That ball was below the rim and to the side and had no shot of hitting rim.
These people are embarrassing themselves. Not really they are shameless.
Agree with most you said, but watch the replay... The ball was above the rim when touched.... But no way in a million years could anyone convince me that ball had a chance to go in. According to the rules, that was no goaltending!

Reaction Score
Well hopefully Cincy can save some face and beat Purdue today.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
need cinci... still think temple would be good in the tourney

Reaction Score
Back to actual games: Ohio State/VCU is a lot of fun right now...

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
Back to actual games: Ohio State/VCU is a lot of fun right now...
Yup.... Russell with a gash over his eye, may have an impact. Hope OSU has a good "cut man"

Big fan of Deangelo Russell tho, he's a Husky, he just doesn't know it

Reaction Score
If that was goaltending then they need to replay the '83 NC State Championship and shutter the V Foundation, because it was the same play.
Best comment of the day, you're absolutely right. I almost expected SMU to get screwed, it's happened so much over the last two years.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
The 3 refs doing this VCU/OSU game are so inconsistent. College officiating is just so incredibly poor right now.

The 5th foul on the VCU big was a clean box out by him, and if anything an over the back on the OSU guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom