NCAA To Look At 14 Week Season | The Boneyard

NCAA To Look At 14 Week Season

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
NCAA to examine 14-week football playing season

A 14-week football playing season will be examined by the Division I Football Oversight Committee, the NCAA announced on Friday.

Currently, Division I football plays a 13-week season with one weekend off. In years when there are 14 Saturday’s between Labor Day and Thanksgiving, football plays a 14-week schedule with two off weeks.

The last 14-week season was in 2014, and the next is in 2019. After that, the calendar doesn’t allow for a 14-week schedule until the 2024 and 2025 seasons.

A permanent 14-week regular-season schedule would, as previously mentioned, afford each football program two off weeks during the season rather than just one.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Great! An extra week during which Bobby Fiasco can't possibly lose a football game.

Reaction Score
I can see a 13 game RS schedule with the P5 needing more conference games.

Reaction Score
Anything that extends the season I'm for, just more time to watch games. It's still a 12 game season, it just adds another rest week for players.

Reaction Score
It's all about taking care of the student-athletes... until it's not.
they'll try to spin it as being a benefit to the athletes giving them an extra break to enjoy being a student for that extra week in the fall, or reduces the injury risk... but I think we all know the deal.

Reaction Score
I always said move back the conference championship games a week, Give 2 bye weeks.

The NFL Should seriously consider this too. Start the playoffs a week later. Set up the Super Bowl around Valentines Day Boom!! I just did your job Goodell.

Reaction Score
Please let this happen!

Same number of games, but the networks would need more inventory to compensate for teams taking that extra bye week, this should in theory boost the value of UCONN football/AAC.

Reaction Score
I can see a 13 game RS schedule with the P5 needing more conference games.
BYU is playing a 13 week schedule this season because they get the travel to Hawaii exemption.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
It's all about taking care of the student-athletes... until it's not.

What are you talking about? This would give the players an extra week of rest.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
NU's Shawn Eichorst says Football Competition Committee doing a 'deep dive' on 14-week seasons, redshirt rules and more

Shawn Eichorst calls the mission a "deep dive." And it requires the kind of thoroughness that makes his summer anything but lazy.

Changes could be coming to college football, and Nebraska's athletic director is part of a group of NCAA representatives tasked with making sure any tweaks are the result of exhaustive and informed study. Eichorst — a member of the Division I Football Competition Committee as well as its oversight committee — is in the middle of ongoing discussions that include topics like standardizing 14-week seasons, altering redshirt rules and reshaping the size of support staffs.

Committee members will study the possibilities this summer and present recommendations when they reconvene Oct. 2-3.

The World-Herald spoke with Eichorst last week, and the A.D. updated where the committees are on a range of issues.

What is the status of a 14-week season?

The NCAA began reviewing the idea a year ago, Eichorst said, but recent passed legislation has essentially required the discussion to start over.

The same new rules that Eichorst helped spearhead last spring — an early signing day, eliminating two-a-days, earlier official visits, a 10th assistant coach and summer camp restrictions among them — have committee members in a wait-and-see approach before making any more changes.

For example: With two-a-days gone, how will coaches react to new fall camp schedules? Could this shift help keep players healthier and better manage a 14-game slate?

"Those variables changing have gotten us thinking more thoroughly and wholistically and comprehensively about what the practice and playing season should look like," Eichorst said.

He later added: "I think we're most interested in seeing how coaches and programs adjust and adapt. We're working very closely with the AFCA (American Football Coaches Association) and the conferences to get as much information as we can. I think that it will be important for us to pay attention to how programs manage their business."

Reaction Score
Eichorst also recieved input on putting games on Nickelodeon where the team the fails to pull off the fake fake field goal gets slimed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom