NCAA to consider paying athletes? | The Boneyard

NCAA to consider paying athletes?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
How about for their actual playing? Ain't that many of them getting their images used for profit.
Seems like they are finally reacting to the O'Bannon debacle. Only took them 10 years to even start talking about the issue.

Reaction Score
It would only work if it was equitable. Sure stars get the glory, but when it comes to compensation everyone will try and be one.

I say set up a 5 year annuity (deferred payment) payable upon graduation or completion of 3 or 4 years. Perhaps 50k-100k per athlete.

Reaction Score
It would only work if it was equitable. Sure stars get the glory, but when it comes to compensation everyone will try and be one.

I say set up a 5 year annuity (deferred payment) payable upon graduation or completion of 3 or 4 years. Perhaps 50k-100k per athlete.

Why always overcomplicated over-engineered paternalistic bullshizz?

Pay. Them. A. Salary.

Simple.

Reaction Score
Terrible title (NCAA won't be the ones doing the paying), but yes, this is going to happen. If Olympic athletes can sell their likeness, there's 0 reason NCAA athletes can't do likewise. The previous Ed O'Bannon litigation opened the way for this to go through.

Reaction Score
Obviously, this is the ncaa scheme to come up with a rule that they will apply retroactively regarding 'shoe' money in order to provide cover for not disciplining their favorite schools or the eligibility of past players.

Reaction Score
I'd just like to post a theory if and when this comes to pass. Given the enormous sneaker/apparrel contracts that are getting handed out to top draft picks now, I bet you are going to see sneaker companies pony up a lot of dough for everyone in the top 15-50 very early. Like Mid-Teens early. Rather than wait until PROSPECTX gets to the draft and you have to give him 5-10m a year, I bet the Nike/Adidas will start sponsoring kids at $250-500k/yr for 4-6 years starting when they are 15-16. Making low-cost, high-upside bets on who turns out to be a superstar will make a lot of economic sense.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I'd just like to post a theory if and when this comes to pass. Given the enormous sneaker/apparrel contracts that are getting handed out to top draft picks now, I bet you are going to see sneaker companies pony up a lot of dough for everyone in the top 15-50 very early. Like Mid-Teens early. Rather than wait until PROSPECTX gets to the draft and you have to give him 5-10m a year, I bet the Nike/Adidas will start sponsoring kids at $250-500k/yr for 4-6 years starting when they are 15-16. Making low-cost, high-upside bets on who turns out to be a superstar will make a lot of economic sense.

If this happens contract buyout terms are going to be wild.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I can't believe I'm celebrating sneaker companies. But hey, why not. All praise due to O'Bannon, ncaa athlete formed unions, and the like, but sneaker companies know the bread is buttered by the athlete. They are the only economic force during the modern NBA era to possess the power and will to potentially crack open the nba-ncaa trust.

Reaction Score
Hi, I own Lucky Laddie's Used Cars in Gordo, Alabama. Come to our showroom to see what we have in stock, and you'll be greeted by a fat head of the new freshman RB for the Crimson Tide, 5* recruit, 8th on the depth chart!

Reaction Score
I can't believe I'm celebrating sneaker companies. But hey, why not. All praise due to O'Bannon, ncaa athlete formed unions, and the like, but sneaker companies know the bread is buttered by the athlete. They are the only economic force during the modern NBA era to possess the power and will to potentially crack open the nba-ncaa trust.

This won't be about sneaker companies paying kids. It will be about boosters paying kids. Just you watch. The floodgates will open, and only the slimiest will survive.

Reaction Score
This won't be about sneaker companies paying kids. It will be about boosters paying kids. Just you watch. The floodgates will open, and only the slimiest will survive.

What do you think will happen? The teams with the most money will get the best players?

HkFNdrs.png

Reaction Score
What do you think will happen? The teams with the most money will get the best players?

HkFNdrs.png

Those aren't the teams with the most money. Certainly not Villanova and Memphis. I can think of any number of schools who will suddenly become prime destinations. Like, all the SEC schools. FSU. Clemson. And after they expand scholarship limits to go along with this, it will be the wild west. Why bother watching at that point?

Reaction Score
If that means kids will get the right to profit off of their own likeness than so be it.

Reaction Score

HkFNdrs.png

I had no clue UGA had such a stacked class. I have no feel on Crean whatsoever.

Reaction Score
Those aren't the teams with the most money. Certainly not Villanova and Memphis. I can think of any number of schools who will suddenly become prime destinations. Like, all the SEC schools. FSU. Clemson. And after they expand scholarship limits to go along with this, it will be the wild west. Why bother watching at that point?

The point is that the effect of money is already a huge factor in paying for the best coaches, facilities, conference affiliation (chicken/egg thing), amenities, recruiting budget, s&c programs, (and probably payment) etc, There might be a couple schools who recruit better, but the hierarchy isn't going to change much. Talent development will still be important. Who you're able to hire and retain as your coach will still be more important than recruiting/booster budget.

We already live in a world where 1 of 2 schools have had the #1 team recruiting rank for the last 12 years straight. And those are the schools with the largest basketball budgets.

Reaction Score
I had no clue UGA had such a stacked class. I have no feel on Crean whatsoever.
I think 100/1 to win the title @ Westgate with the FF in ATL. Before they added the Northeastern grad transfer to offset some youth. There would be value @ 200/1 similar to Tech last year.jmho

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Uh uh, he met sneaker money. High profile schools w/ a constant flow of high profile players, one and doners ultimately receive the greatest attention, rightly so. These players make them tons of money.

Reaction Score
Uh uh, he met sneaker money. High profile schools w/ a constant flow of high profile players, one and doners ultimately receive the greatest attention, rightly so. These players make them tons of money.

No one is making tons of money except the coaches. Certainly not the schools.

Not sure what you mean about sneaker money. Why would they restrict selling your likeness only to sneaker companies? That seems indefensible. You will be able to sell your likeness to anyone and everyone.

Reaction Score
Looks to me like the NCAA wants to get back in the video game business. Like I said in the other thread, the idea that universities will pay teenagers salaries to play sports is absurd. At that point just do away with the college athletics model and set up youth athletics the way soccer is in Europe or by creating tiered minor leagues for all of the sports.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom