NCAA Thinking of Rule Change | The Boneyard

NCAA Thinking of Rule Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Because we were almost an automatic qualifier and would have avoided "last 4 in". This happens every year and no problem but now it's us. How bout a rule making UCONN players play with an eye patch? Not making this up.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Because we were almost an automatic qualifier and would have avoided "last 4 in". This happens every year and no problem but now it's us. How bout a rule making UCONN players play with an eye patch? Not making this up.

I think you missed the point of the article.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
Let's have a play in game for the last non-power 5 teams to AUTOMATICALLY qualify for the tournament. I read that last night and thought I wasn't reading it correctly, but now I get they are suggesting making play-in games for AQ teams that aren't from small conferences (not even talking about a mid-major). Just go back to 64 already...the bubble has been weak as hell the last 5 years anyhow.

Reaction Score
I think you missed the point of the article.
We were almost an automatic qualifier so now the light bulb goes off to make things more fair with the play in? Why? Because with their convoluted formula we were the least qualified team?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We were almost an automatic qualifier so now the light bulb goes off to make things more fair with the play in? Why? Because with their convoluted formula we were the least qualified team?

The issue was the time of the game.

Not that it was UConn.

Reaction Score

They meant logistically in terms of the game times. There were too many "contingency plans" in place based on the endings of all of those games.

To summarize: too many moving parts for Sunday-
1) If UConn won, we would be an auto qualifier, bumping dayton out of the tournament and texas/ucla into the first four
2) If Dayton won, they would be an auto qualifier, bumping texas/ucla into the first four
3) if Georgia St. beat Georgia southern, there would be seeding issues
4) same as above if Sparty beat Wisco.

This has nothing to do with UConn. Would be the same scenario if Rhode Island made it to the finals of the A10.

Reaction Score
This story's a mess. What tweak would they make? Send an automatic qualifier to Dayton just because it happened on a Sunday? There were a lot worse auto bids than ours would've been. Would they send Wyoming too?

I didn't write the article I just copy and pasted it. I don't know what they would do. The post above me asked for the article and I pasted it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They've always had this backwards.

The play-ins should be at large bids ONLY - I've never understood why automatic qualifiers were picked to play.

They aren't. That's the point of the article. Auto qualifiers are exempt from the play in games.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No other automatic bid team ever had to play in that quick?

Most of the championship games late on Sunday have two teams that are in the field even if they lose.

You are taking this personally - it had nothing to do with it being UConn. Would have been the same issue if it was Tulsa.

Reaction Score
Most of the championship games late on Sunday have two teams that are in the field even if they lose.

You are taking this personally - it had nothing to do with it being UConn. Would have been the same issue if it was Tulsa.
Most insecure fan base around.

Everything is an intentional slight to UConn to a lot of posters. It is sad and really annoying.

Reaction Score

Everything is an intentional slight to UConn to a lot of posters. It is sad and really annoying.
Right, no sense worrying about how the NCAA has treated UCONN because it's always been fair and square. They probably don't even resent the way Bazz tweaked them on national tv at the championship last year, they loved it.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score

A lot more annoying are otherwise rational people who think we're in the end times, if you ask me.

Reaction Score
Right, no sense worrying about how the NCAA has treated UCONN because it's always been fair and square. They probably don't even resent the way Bazz tweaked them on national tv at the championship last year, they loved it.
You thought the NCAA would change a rule regarding the selection and seedings of teams because UConn almost won a bid. Think about that. Can't make up some of the theories around here.

Reaction Score
A lot more annoying are otherwise rational people who think we're in the end times, if you ask me.
It would not be the Boneyard if people were not burying the program and think it was destined for irrelevancy after every season. Off seasons following national titles included.

Again, most insecure fan base around.

Reaction Score
They could fix the issue quite simply by pushing their selection show to 8pm est instead of 6pm. 2 hours difference isn't going to make any difference as far as getting people to their locations by Wednesday/Thursday. ESPN would have to scramble a little to get their NIT show out but even they could push it out one more hour to 10pm est. NIT schools aren't going to cry foul if they have to wait an extra hour. Either that or ask the leagues and networks to get things wrapped up closer to 3-3:30pm est. that gives the committee ample time to flip their coins for the last couple spots.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I heard that Mark Emmert wants to shut down the university. He also has a dartboard in his office with Shabazz Napier's face superimposed on it.

Woe is us!

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Wow, Yale got snubbed pretty harshly. This has been a bad couple weeks for the Bulldogs.

More like a bad 53 years...last NCAA tourney appearance for them was in 1962.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom