NCAA Stats | The Boneyard

NCAA Stats

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
If you paid attention to the NCAA team stats over the years, it is not unusual for UConn to be leading or near the top in a ridiculous number of categories. That wasn't the case in the first few weeks this year, but that's not because the UConn team isn't up to their lofty standards, it has been because the schedule has been so tough.

While Stanford doesn't look quite so strong now as when we were about to play them, it still the case that the first five opponents are all ranked in the top 35 (Massey). The Nevada team was the first, and until next week the only triple digit ranked opponent followed by two more top 35 teams with Notre Dame and Depaul. I vaguely considered how one might calculate adjusted stats to reflect the opponents strength but I haven't done that yet so until then, the raw stats produced by NCAA are the only way to go.

UConn often as near the top of points scored and points allowed and of course, when leading those two stats, points margin. It's a little tougher to maintain those positions when you're playing the teams on top of the heap while many of those teams have a generous helping of cupcakes.

Even though the UConn schedule hasn't exactly reach cupcake level with Oklahoma ranked 51 and Duquesne ranked 61, UConn's been improving in their aggregate stats.

UConn has climbed to third in points per game, averaging 89 per game within striking distance of Baylor at 92.

UConn is not among the leaders in scoring defense yet but that will change when they get into the conference schedule. It moved up to fifth place and scoring margin at almost 29 points a game, while Baylor, with six triple digit opponents is leading the category at almost 39 points per game.

UConn is hitting the shots, leading the nation at 52.5% field goal accuracy. UConn's field-goal defense is relatively low in 34th place, holding opponents to 35% per game but again I expect that to climb soon.

Historically, UConn has been a so-so free-throw shooter. They picked that up in recent years, often in the top 10 but they regressed this year; players who can't seem to miss from beyond the arc throw up bricks at the foul line.

UConn's three point accuracy is fifth in the nation at 42%, while individually, Kia Nurse is leading the nation at 55%.

UConn is typically at or near the top in the assist to turnover ratio. Despite the tough schedule, they are still sixth in the nation. Watch that climb.

UConn typically is stellar in the team stats and often doesn't have many players topping individual categories partly because they play as a team and share the ball so much. That sharing hurts aggregate totals but doesn't hurt percentages and as mentioned Kia Nurse is currently atop the leaderboard hitting 55.8% of her three point field-goals.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As indicated, most stats depend to a large degree on how good the competition is and the way they play. Many years ago, before the advent of the shot clock, Pete Carrill’s Princeton team always led the nation in defense because an offensive possession might go 2-3 minutes before they took a shot.

What I like to look at is MOV. Last year through 10 games, UConn was 10-0 with an average MOV of 24.4 ppg. This year, against an arguably tougher schedule, UConn is 10-0 with an average MOV of 28.7 ppg.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks for the update. And as you said this is standard for Uconn stats in comparison to other teams. It is not only the Uconn schedule that dictates this, but also the scheduling of teams like Baylor. Baylor sometime plays a few ranked teams OOC, but even when they do that, they fill the rest of their schedule with home games against the dregs of D1 schools - their MOV is frequently around 50 OOC and then as they play in conference it slowly reverts to the norm in the low 20s. Same thing for FG percentage for and against as the offense is a progression of lay-up lines while the defense is playing against incredibly over matched teams.

Uconn with an inverted schedule compared to most teams in the country has the opposite trajectory stats wise - their defensive and offensive stats building through their weaker conference. Even during the glory days of the big east the conference schedule overall tended to be easier than the OOC - every ND game offset by games against Providence, Seton Hall, Pitt, and Cinci. Seldom were there more than a few teams that could actually keep scores respectable in BE play.

Reaction Score
It appears to me, but may not be factual, that the starters are playing deeper into the 4th quarter this season than last. There are 3 players at 30+ minutes and Lou is at 29, even though she only played 15 minutes against Cal. Would Azura's and Megan's minutes be as high if Lou doesn't get hurt. Probably not. More playing time for starters equates to larger MOV.

With very good teams, stats can be deceiving, because of the substitutions in the 4th. It would be really interesting if there was a way just to do Half Time (or through the 3rd Quarter) stats nationally.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It appears to me, but may not be factual, that the starters are playing deeper into the 4th quarter this season than last. There are 3 players at 30+ minutes and Lou is at 29, even though she only played 15 minutes against Cal. Would Azura's and Megan's minutes be as high if Lou doesn't get hurt. Probably not. More playing time for starters equates to larger MOV.

With very good teams, stats can be deceiving, because of the substitutions in the 4th. It would be really interesting if there was a way just to do Half Time (or through the 3rd Quarter) stats nationally.
I think you’ll find that the starters played more minutes last year during the tough 1st 10 games. The Huskies had almost no bench last year, and concussions to Crystal and Saniya left them severely limited.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That cannot be right. Don't you know that this is a weak, underperforming team? :rolleyes:
Yes but they disguise their weakness well, particularly when they bring that gangly 6’6” kid off the bench. She’s not all that good. ;)

Reaction Score

I think Geno has been playing his first six as much as possible when they are all available because of the early season injuries/illnesses..........despite their dominance, I still don't think they are totally in sync...............once the conference schedule starts I would expect/hope to see the first six getting plenty of rest, especially in the fourth quarter...........can't wait to read that the second team is a total mess as always.............

Reaction Score
This is a bit off the topic of the thread, but Baylor's approach to scheduling seems so foolish to me. They perennially play these cupcakes, and I mean cupcakes -- rankings past 200. :( Then, when they don't have Griner and OS, they can't make the FF. Gee, I wonder why.

Then, take Tara, who does more with less. Baylor does less with more.

Geno is brilliant. But we know that. Hmm, doesn't KimM know this? I don't understand. :)

End of rant.

I just want to win the last game we play this year. (I miss the hats and the tee shirts.)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This is a bit off the topic of the thread, but Baylor's approach to scheduling seems so foolish to me. They perennially play these cupcakes, and I mean cupcakes -- rankings past 200. :( Then, when they don't have Griner and OS, they can't make the FF. Gee, I wonder why.

Then, take Tara, who does more with less. Baylor does less with more.

Geno is brilliant. But we know that. Hmm, doesn't KimM know this? I don't understand. :)

End of rant.

I just want to win the last game we play this year. (I miss the hats and the tee shirts.)
That has also been Frese's philosophy. I've often complained that this type of scheduling does a team no favors. Equally as bad is that Baylor plays so few games outside the state of Texas. None of this prepares a team for the NCAA's and is the reason I believe why both of these teams fall on their faces once the music starts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom