NCAA scheduling question/nit: men vs women | The Boneyard

NCAA scheduling question/nit: men vs women

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Our women played their Elite 8 on Monday and are playing in the semis 4 days later on Friday.

Our men played their Elite 8 on Saturday and are playing in the semis 7 days later on Saturday.

Through the first 2 weekends of the tournament, the men have been the first up playing on days 1 & 3 with the women following on days 2 & 4. This is being reversed for the final weekend.

I know that within both sides of the tournament, there is no advantage. The Hawkeyes are playing the same schedule as the Huskies. Same for Alabama vs our men's team.

The question is why, outside of its possible impact on television coverage, does the NCAA reverse the schedule and give the four remaining women's teams that many fewer days to recuperate, practice, and game plan? Why not maintain the same schedule throughout the tournament and give both sides an equal opportunity to be at their best?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Our women played their Elite 8 on Monday and are playing in the semis 4 days later on Friday.

Our men played their Elite 8 on Saturday and are playing in the semis 7 days later on Saturday.

Through the first 2 weekends of the tournament, the men have been the first up playing on days 1 & 3 with the women following on days 2 & 4. This is being reversed for the final weekend.

I know that within both sides of the tournament, there is no advantage. The Hawkeyes are playing the same schedule as the Huskies. Same for Alabama vs our men's team.

The question is why, outside of its possible impact on television coverage, does the NCAA reverse the schedule and give the four remaining women's teams that many fewer days to recuperate, practice, and game plan? Why not maintain the same schedule throughout the tournament and give both sides an equal opportunity to be at their best?
The women used to do the FF on Sunday/Tuesday, however the prevailing thoughts were that having the women's final game the day after the men's would not garner enough interest. Even though the women's initial rounds are Fri/Sun & Sat/Mon, only the top seed is guaranteed the extra day of rest (S Carolina), as it was a point of contention in prior years.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
the prevailing thoughts were that having the women's final game the day after the men's would not garner enough interest.
I understand that - so why not have the women play days 1 & 3 throughout the tournament. You get to the same result for the final weekend and both sides of the tournament have equal time to rest and plan.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I understand that - so why not have the women play days 1 & 3 throughout the tournament. You get to the same result for the final weekend and both sides of the tournament have equal time to rest and plan.
Maybe maximize the number of games on tv per day? If everyone played on the same days, there aren't enough ESPN networks to show them all.

Reaction Score

I believe it plays into Geno and CD's hands as they are better at short turn arounds than any other group of coaches historically.

Just like my Aussie brothers I say, "No worries, mate!"

Go Huskies! Beat the Hawkeyes!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom