NCAA says it ruled on Sid Wilson's eligibility last month | The Boneyard

NCAA says it ruled on Sid Wilson's eligibility last month

Reaction Score
NCAA says it ruled on UConn player eligibility last month

NCAA spokeswoman Michelle Hosick declined to detail the decision, but said UConn was notified verbally on Dec. 20 and in writing on Dec. 22. She says the school has 30 days to appeal any part of the ruling, but had not filed such an appeal as of Wednesday afternoon.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
So he isn’t playing, and we are waiting to see if Ollie is fired mid season. In the case we fire Ollie mid season we don’t appeal it we don’t fire him then we appeal? Not sure the logic around not telling th fan base.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
So he isn’t playing, and we are waiting to see if Ollie is fired mid season. In the case we fire Ollie mid season we don’t appeal it we don’t fire him then we appeal? Not sure the logic around not telling th fan base.
Are we really considering firing Ollie mid-season? I think that would be beyond dumb.

Reaction Score
Do you think this is what pushes Benedict over the edge and brings about a mid-season firing?
I'm on record saying that there will be no mid-season firing. I'm not convinced he wont be back next year either. What should happen and what will happen are two very different things.

Reaction Score
Don't think so, most likely scenario is NCAA ruled him ineligible on Dec 20, UConn immediately appealed and won't comment until the appeal process is over.
No appeal yet.

NCAA spokeswoman Michelle Hosick declined to detail the decision, but said UConn was notified verbally on Dec. 20 and in writing on Dec. 22. She says the school has 30 days to appeal any part of the ruling, but had not filed such an appeal as of Wednesday afternoon.

Reaction Score
If the university was told last month, why keep it quiet until the appeal is over? Why not try to stir up public support and backlash like with the Braxton Beverly situation. What is there to lose?

Edit: Never mind, we haven't even appealed yet. The question as to why stay quiet still stands though.

Reaction Score
So UConn finds out on the 20th about Sid Wilson then tells the media this on the 29th:

NCAA says that as of today, they haven't filed an appeal. So they were waiting to hear what exactly?

Reaction Score
I think this simply means that no one at UConn was working between 12/22 and yesterday like most places. Of course the fact that the basketball team and its staff had games & stuff in that timeframe might make one think that someone would be around to respond to the letter, but it appears that no one did.

Reaction Score
Just hire a lawyer and have him make some angsty statements and Wilson will be eligible by MLK day. You'd be shocked at how quickly NCAA had "found more facts" on the Beverley case once he had a lawyer releasing statements rather than just himself/the team

Reaction Score
I think this simply means that no one at UConn was working between 12/22 and yesterday like most places. Of course the fact that the basketball team and its staff had games & stuff in that timeframe might make one think that someone would be around to respond to the letter, but it appears that no one did.
Hey, we're 7-7, what's the rush to appeal to have another player that could help?

Reaction Score
Between half the team leaving last year, this whole scenario playing out -- just seems like something isn't right around the program.

Reaction Score
Somehow, this at least put things in perspective for me. I totally hate the NCAA way more than I want Ollie fired(and thats saying alot).

But please lets not get hung up on semantics here. It was an extreme long shot for Sid to be granted eligibility.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For openers, there is no context to the verbal notification. Add to this, the written notification, which for all we know could have been sent via traditional (snail) mail on the Friday before Christmas (may have sat in an outgoing mail bin until the following Tuesday), may not have arrived on campus until yesterday (considering the holidays).

I imagine the appeal (or lack there of) would need to come from our compliance department and it would come from direction of AD Dave (with input from KO).

Also, it is very possible that we need the document in hand prior to filing the appeal (I would guarantee that there is a formal process, you can't merely pick up the phone and say "we appeal").

Before we throw out accusations of incompetence or ulterior motives it may make sense to get full information.

PS - it is no surprise to me that the written notice went out on a Friday before a holiday weekend. NCAA at its finest.

Reaction Score
No appeal yet.

Ah OK, I think the same point holds true, UConn won't comment until appeal process is over.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom