NCAA rule question | The Boneyard

NCAA rule question

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I’m wondering if anyone knows if UConn needed permission from the NCAA to schedule an exhibition game mid-season.

On edit - just saw the post that the game will count. But I’m still curious as to my original question.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I’m wondering if anyone knows if UConn needed permission from the NCAA to schedule an exhibition game mid-season.
It's not an exhibition.

In-season games against non-D1 teams that meet the NCAA definition of “countable opponents” count for official NCAA stats and team records. They just don't count toward the NET. Plenty of D1 teams play non-D1 opponents in season, and this situation is treated as those are.

Reaction Score
It's not an exhibition.

In-season games against non-D1 teams that meet the NCAA definition of “countable opponents” count for official NCAA stats and team records. They just don't count toward the NET. Plenty of D1 teams play non-D1 opponents in season, and this situation is treated as those are.

It was originally scheduled as an exhibition game.

Reaction Score
I hadn’t seen that. Source?

I don’t have a source but it was just announced today that the NCAA would recognize it as a game. It has also been mentioned on one of these threads

Reaction Score
The official schedule put out by UConn in September has never referred to it as an exhibition as far as I can tell. The 9/28 press release shows the game with TV coverage by Fox as if it were any other game.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I don’t have a source but it was just announced today that the NCAA would recognize it as a game. It has also been mentioned on one of these threads
This was the UConn press release announcing the game on Aug. 3.

Some folks here may have casually referred to this as an “exhibition,” but AFAIK that was never the official term.

Reaction Score
It was originally scheduled against Pittsburgh but the game fell thru ... see article above. They scrambled to find an opponent and got NCAA's blessing to play TMU.

Reaction Score

The NCAA has recognized this as an official game for months. There was really no need to get an official recognition. Also, UConn months ago had already scheduled two exhibition/scrimmage games, which is the maximum allowed. Thus this game could not be an exhibition under the rules.

Reaction Score
The UConn website has never listed it as an exhibition. Interestingly, as far Toronto Metropolitan's schedule is concerned, the game is listed as an exhibition for them.

1703078452006.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom