NCAA Rule Changes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA Rule Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
According to Bilas earlier, the removal of the closely guarded 5 second rule only applies to dribbling, so you can still get called for 5 seconds while holding the ball and not moving if someone is on you.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
One rule change I'd like to see implemented that was not mentioned is adding a 6th foul to ALL levels of men's and women's college basketball, similar to the NBA.
It will keep starters in the game longer, and change the rotation strategy of the coaches. I don't think it would be a bad thing for the college game.

The problem is the games are 8 minutes shorter than the NBA.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
One rule change I'd like to see implemented that was not mentioned is adding a 6th foul to ALL levels of men's and women's college basketball, similar to the NBA.
It will keep starters in the game longer, and change the rotation strategy of the coaches. I don't think it would be a bad thing for the college game.

NCAA and NBA are already synched up on fouls per game.

5/40= 8
6/48= 8

From college to the pro's they each get one foul per eight minutes of play.

Reaction Score
I really like FIBA's no basket interference. Players are so athletic these days it's a crime to restrict it.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
According to Bilas earlier, the removal of the closely guarded 5 second rule only applies to dribbling, so you can still get called for 5 seconds while holding the ball and not moving if someone is on you.
Ah that makes more sense. But it still limits the effectiveness of trapping.

Edit: As pointed out above, with the shorter shot clock it actually makes a little more sense anyways. I personally would keep the rule as is but I'd rather get rid of it and get the 30 second shot clock.

Reaction Score
Yeah, so you won't see the refs doing the wide arm gesture anymore while the PG dribbles at half court.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Saw this mentioned on the women's board, FIBA now has it so that after an offensive rebound the shot clock only resets to 14 seconds. The suggestion would be to have it only reset to 20 in college. I would be all for that.

Reaction Score
UConn's 2004 championship can be credited to Calhoun outcoaching Krzyzewski by benching Emeka during foul trouble while Shelden Richardson and Shavlik Randolph were in foul trouble throughout the second half.

During tons of tournament games, Calhoun attacked the opponent's best player to limit their minutes (Derrick Williams in 2011, throughout the 2004 tournament).

Therefore, do not change the rule.

Reaction Score
yeah thats what i meant the slapping the ball off the rim is a little ridiculous, players are also getting more and more athletic. I really wish there was a 3 sec violation call on defense in the ncaa though, not sure why that isn't a talking point.
That rule can wait til Brimah leaves.

Reaction Score
they should only give an extra foul if they go back to trying to call all the hand checking fouls to clean the game up. Of course the goal should be to not have players commit fouls in the first place. I also worry more allowed fouls will let teams hack a shaq, they would need a rule to prevent that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Saw this mentioned on the women's board, FIBA now has it so that after an offensive rebound the shot clock only resets to 14 seconds. The suggestion would be to have it only reset to 20 in college. I would be all for that.
Thatd be really good to see. So annoying when a team can kill over a minute on that.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
"• Allowing only a total of 10 seconds to advance the ball to the front court (with a few exceptions)."

Would this eliminate the TO saving the O against good backcourt D?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
making a timeout called within 30 seconds of a media timeout stand for the media timeout.

Where was this rule when Jim Calhoun was coaching?!?!

How many freaking times did he call a TO with 8:03 on the clock?

Reaction Score
"• Allowing only a total of 10 seconds to advance the ball to the front court (with a few exceptions)."

Would this eliminate the TO saving the O against good backcourt D?
Resetting the ten second clock on TOs is so stupid.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
all this is doing is covering up the problem, not fixing it...kids come in and dont know how to play... they cant shoot, they cant shoot free throws, and all they want to do is attack the rim... the basics and fundamentals are whats missing and what would fix the game

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Also, disallowing timeouts in live ball situations is an interesting one. Not sure what the reasoning would be.

Not disallowing timeouts there. Just not allowing the bench to call them. Which is a good thing, IMO. Player with ball can still call TO.

Reaction Score
Carnac said:
One rule change I'd like to see implemented that was not mentioned is adding a 6th foul to ALL levels of men's and women's college basketball, similar to the NBA. It will keep starters in the game longer, and change the rotation strategy of the coaches. I don't think it would be a bad thing for the college game.

No. Not in a 40-minute game. It failed once, it will fail again.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain the pre game dunking rule? Because I always see players dunking before the game so I am confused as to what exactly the rule is

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Can someone explain the pre game dunking rule? Because I always see players dunking before the game so I am confused as to what exactly the rule is
It's a technical if dunking in the layup lines pregame with the refs on the floor I believe.

Reaction Score

You can't dunk during any dead ball situation. If you saw it and it wasn't punished, it's because the refs weren't on the court yet. They have to be there to enforce it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom