NCAA Rule Changes | The Boneyard

NCAA Rule Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...l-rules-shot-clock-block-charge-arc/27368185/

On Friday, the men's basketball rules committee announced that it would recommend shortening the shot clock from 35 seconds to 30, increase the restricted area arc in front of the basket from three feet to four feet, and three changes aimed at reducing timeouts.

The strategy is simple: A shorter shot clock is expected to lead to more possessions, a faster pace of play and perhaps an increase in scoring. Expanding the charge circle should reduce the low-post collision rate.

For timeouts, the recommendation are to reduce timeouts from five to four, with no more than three carrying over from the first to the second half; quicker resumption of play coming out of timeouts and player disqualifications; disallowing coaches from calling timeouts in live ball situations; and making a timeout called within 30 seconds of a media timeout stand for the media timeout.

In addition, the committee wants officials to be able to review shot clock violations on made field goals at any point in a game. And the committee recommended lifting the ban on dunks in pre-game warmups. Finally, the committee wants officials be able to penalize players for faking fouls, or diving.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The TO within 30 seconds of the media TO is the biggest. That will literally cost TV partners millions of the course of the season.

I really like the fake dive penalty but that will need to be enforced via replay since many of the dives are tough to discern at game speed.

Reaction Score
I'm interested in seeing how the faking fouls/diving rule would be policed. Can't fine them like in the NBA. Also, disallowing timeouts in live ball situations is an interesting one. Not sure what the reasoning would be.

Reaction Score
Just saw a piece on ESPN with Bilas and Greenberg. Both of them reacted very positively to the rule changes, and I have to say I agree. Rule changes can be very polarizing, but in this case, I think they made the correct calls. Bilas may have gone a little too far with saying that the NCAA should just adapt the FIBA rulebook in its entirety, but he's got a point.

Reaction Score
The TO within 30 seconds of the media TO is the biggest. That will literally cost TV partners millions of the course of the season.

I really like the fake dive penalty but that will need to be enforced via replay since many of the dives are tough to discern at game speed.

Wouldn't be shocked if advertisers just forced the channels to cut into their halftime coverage.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Hope the Time Out rules are passed, but I think most of the people on the Rules Panel are coaches and they wont like giving up time outs.

Reaction Score
Hope the Time Out rules are passed, but I think most of the people on the Rules Panel are coaches and they wont like giving up time outs.
Really hope they pass the restriction on coaches call timeouts during live ball play. I hate that so much.

Reaction Score
I'm interested in seeing how the faking fouls/diving rule would be policed. Can't fine them like in the NBA. Also, disallowing timeouts in live ball situations is an interesting one. Not sure what the reasoning would be.

To stop them from using timeouts to save possession, I guess. I don't like that they can't call timeout to try to reset a play, though.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
K can't be happy, two rules going to hurt him

Reaction Score
To stop them from using timeouts to save possession, I guess. I don't like that they can't call timeout to try to reset a play, though.

They'll just have to hope their players are listening.

It's to remove the situation where a ref has to decide if a timeout from the sideline happened before some kid traveled or lost the ball out of bounds (or any other confusing scrum situation) when they are close to simultaneous... easy answer now, the kid has to call timeout.

Reaction Score
finally they will be able to dunk in pregame warm ups. Of course Stanford dunked in their pregame warm ups this year and wasn't penalized, cost us the game.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Really hope they pass the restriction on coaches call timeouts during live ball play. I hate that so much.

Honestly there is not one proposed rule change that I am against. Everything is great as far as I am concerned. I dont care if they test 6 fouls in the NIT either.

Reaction Score
All mens basketball should be played under the same rules. Not overly into the idea of no goaltending like fiba, but it would be best for global youth development to simplify things.

Reaction Score
All mens basketball should be played under the same rules. Not overly into the idea of no goaltending like fiba, but it would be best for global youth development to simplify things.

There general gist of the goaltending rule exists in FIBA. Basket interference is the one that's different.

Reaction Score
I like all the changes but I want you to be able to get the ball at half court when talking a timeout at the end of a game. You really can't do anything with less than 5 seconds having to go full court.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Cutting down on timeouts will cost the NCAA millions upon millions in ad revenue. I highly doubt that actually goes through.

Reaction Score
There general gist of the goaltending rule exists in FIBA. Basket interference is the one that's different.
yeah thats what i meant the slapping the ball off the rim is a little ridiculous, players are also getting more and more athletic. I really wish there was a 3 sec violation call on defense in the ncaa though, not sure why that isn't a talking point.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Or at the very least, they should be very similar.

Also, the FIBA goaltending rules are idiotic.

Reaction Score
I don't see the necessity to penalize diving. Just don't call the foul, ref!
Keep the TOs in live game situations. That's when some real in-game coaching comes in to play.
I'll miss the 5 second rule but it may be necessary to get rid of it with the shot clock change.
I like the rest of the changes.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...l-rules-shot-clock-block-charge-arc/27368185/

On Friday, the men's basketball rules committee announced that it would recommend shortening the shot clock from 35 seconds to 30, increase the restricted area arc in front of the basket from three feet to four feet, and three changes aimed at reducing timeouts.

The strategy is simple: A shorter shot clock is expected to lead to more possessions, a faster pace of play and perhaps an increase in scoring. Expanding the charge circle should reduce the low-post collision rate.

For timeouts, the recommendation are to reduce timeouts from five to four, with no more than three carrying over from the first to the second half; quicker resumption of play coming out of timeouts and player disqualifications; disallowing coaches from calling timeouts in live ball situations; and making a timeout called within 30 seconds of a media timeout stand for the media timeout.

In addition, the committee wants officials to be able to review shot clock violations on made field goals at any point in a game. And the committee recommended lifting the ban on dunks in pre-game warmups. Finally, the committee wants officials be able to penalize players for faking fouls, or diving.

One rule change I'd like to see implemented that was not mentioned is adding a 6th foul to ALL levels of men's and women's college basketball, similar to the NBA.
It will keep starters in the game longer, and change the rotation strategy of the coaches. I don't think it would be a bad thing for the college game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom