NCAA rule changes for WCBB... | The Boneyard

NCAA rule changes for WCBB...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Rule changes

Nothing overly dramatic. This article was written from June but it just showed up on my FB feed. Probably it was addressed here, but in case not...

Most interesting is the restricted arc in the lane is moving from 3 feet to 4 feet. Should limit even further those "floppers". Yes, ND fans - you know I'm talking about you... ;)

Reaction Score
I would have liked a rule change so that the shot clock resets to 20 (instead of 30) when the team on offense gets fouled in their front court. A similar rule is in effect in the WNBA, where it resets to 14 (instead of 24). This facilitates better pace of game, and closer contests late in games.

Reaction Score
I'd like refs to call more technicals on coaches who step far outside their box or are obviously demonstratively insulting to refs. Hell, I'd like to see technicals on coaches for yelling too much at their own players, but that will never happen. Why is it that the only place obnoxious and humiliating behavior is not only permitted, but applauded, is in athletic coaching?

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Why is it that the only place obnoxious and humiliating behavior is not only permitted, but applauded, is in athletic coaching?

A point very well taken, and at the collegiate level it is not limited to Division I. I have often asked myself precisely that question. The last bastion.

Why? Because they can. At the big time college level, winning and money-making are most important, so it is convenient to look the other way. Plus, the argument goes, I guess, that athletes are supposed to be tough and this crap is supposed to toughen them up. At Division III, not the same pressure to win, in fact some of the so-called elite schools would probably prefer not to be too good, but some of the coaches have tenure, the lifestyle is good and the job isn't all that demanding, and they hang around forever even though the game and the times have passed them by.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="bags27, post: 2361478, member: 6761 " Why is it that the only place obnoxious and humiliating behavior is not only permitted, but applauded, is in athletic coaching?[/QUOTE]
I agree but would like to add another forum to your comment .... U.S. Politicians.

Reaction Score
. . . Why is it that the only place obnoxious and humiliating behavior is not only permitted, but applauded, is in athletic coaching?

Don't parents yell at their kids anymore?

Sometimes parents and coaches have the same problem: getting kids to pay attention and do what they're told.

Reaction Score
I'd like refs to call more technicals on coaches who step far outside their box or are obviously demonstratively insulting to refs. Hell, I'd like to see technicals on coaches for yelling too much at their own players, but that will never happen. Why is it that the only place obnoxious and humiliating behavior is not only permitted, but applauded, is in athletic coaching?
Cripes! A coach's box that's 38 feet long? If you want to let them better communicate with players, why not just let them roam the entire court, for cryin' out loud? Or maybe give them a communication system, with the coach speaking into a microphone and each player with an earbud?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I assume you mean all the coaches who walk on the court regularly. I agree.

I have never noticed refs particularly shy about technicals when coaches even "look" insulting. Of the very few technicals that Vivian ever got - virtually all were for walking onto the court to argue a play. Always politely - one time she walked the entire way to the other end of the court to calmly (sort of) tell the ref what she thought, and collect the "T". Funny, actually, to watch.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
A point very well taken, and at the collegiate level it is not limited to Division I. I have often asked myself precisely that question. The last bastion.

Why? Because they can. At the big time college level, winning and money-making are most important, so it is convenient to look the other way. Plus, the argument goes, I guess, that athletes are supposed to be tough and this crap is supposed to toughen them up. At Division III, not the same pressure to win, in fact some of the so-called elite schools would probably prefer not to be too good, but some of the coaches have tenure, the lifestyle is good and the job isn't all that demanding, and they hang around forever even though the game and the times have passed them by.
is that Carla Berube's thinking?

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
is that Carla Berube's thinking?

From what I have heard, not even close. Seems like she is doing it the right way and Tufts is fortunate to have her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom