Men - NCAA Roster Size/Scholarship Limit change coming? | The Boneyard

Men NCAA Roster Size/Scholarship Limit change coming?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This will hurt a number of schools (who are not pulling in P level revenues), which I imagine was the plan.

Adding twenty plus men's athletic scholarships will require a combination of additional women's scholarships (I'm guessing a similar ruling will be in place for softball) and fewer men's scholarships offer in other sports (for schools unwilling/unable to add forty to fifty scholarships).

It will get quite a bit more difficult for the little guy to compete against SEC/ACC/B1G/B-12 schools in baseball.

Reaction Score

“As part of the new revenue-sharing model — beginning in 2025-26 academic year — by-sport scholarship restrictions are eliminated, and schools are permitted to offer scholarships to the entirety of their rosters. The new roster limit figures are not final until the approval of House settlement terms.”

Reaction Score

-> At the time, the feeling was that baseball could eventually increase scholarships to a more palatable number, potentially 17-18. It was an idea that honestly seemed like a pipe dream at the time.

Now? Division I Baseball is on the cusp of being in an incredible position from a scholarship standpoint. This week, Sankey confirmed to Yahoo! Sports’ Ross Dellenger, in this piece, that Division I Baseball is expected to settle on a roster limit of 34 players, which is a decrease from the 40-man roster that programs will enter the 2025 campaign with. That reality will make the evaluation process even more critical for coaches. However, the most important piece of news from Sankey is about the scholarship limit or lack thereof.

Division I Baseball is expected to permit programs to offer full scholarships to everyone on their roster. So, if the roster is set at 34 players, all 34 could ideally be on a full scholarship – quite a contrast from the current setup, which allows for 11.7 scholarships to be spread over a 40-man roster. For teams that can’t get to the 34 full-scholarship threshold, you could theoretically spread 18 scholarships over 34 players. One mid-major coach told D1Baseball this week that it would make the situation ‘doable’ for them and others in the same boat.

Another mid-major coach, Austin Peay’s Roland Fanning, echoed those sentiments to D1Baseball. “I think it’s honestly really good for mid-major baseball. There are going to be more players who can’t be on a Power Four baseball roster because of the roster decrease, and that means they’re going to have to find another avenue in which to play college baseball,” Fanning said. “That’s a win for guys like us, that’s a win for DII, NAIA and especially junior college baseball. By doing this, you’re really going to force the bigger conferences to really evaluate those slots. This will be benefit the player, and the mid-majors.” <-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom