NCAA Role in Alignment: | The Boneyard

NCAA Role in Alignment:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How come the NCAA has no role in this re-alignment? It seems like there would be a more manageable way to have had this go and apparently there is no governing body for this.

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, it was the NCAA's ruling that a conference can have a conference FB championship game if they have 12 FB programs. School Prz's and ADs saw dollar signs and began to raid other conferences to get to that 12 team total to get that magic game and it's associated TV money. Then came the fricken BCS. Everyone wanted to make sure they had a viable FB conference to ensure they'd get those auto BCS bowl bids and the dollars that came with them, and decided, H*ll, why not go and get more teams to ensure we'll keep that boatload of money streaming in for years.

Once this began to happen the BE was f*ed due to it's FB/BB and BB only mix of members and getting the few that were good in FB (VT, UM and eventually WV & Pitt) cherry picked from the conference. Due to the makeup of the BE it was hard to hold it together and what we see now was inevitable.

I still think that the BCS Conferences that have the highest level FB/BB, just might break away from the NCAAs and gobble up the majority of the TV money amongst themselves, leaving the lessor programs that are either in a non-automatic BCS bid conference or don't play big time FB at all in the dust.

Some have cursed UConn for going big time FB. Though it might have been too little too late, it was what was needed. They just couldn't build up and sustain a high level quick enough. I'm not a big college FB fan (more an NFL fan) but I must admit I was surprised at how good Coach E was able to build the program and became relatively competitive in what seemed like a short period of time. Granted we were never close to being a national contender, but I had my doubts that they could even be competitive with middle of the road major conference teams.

The timing simply couldn't have been worse for both the Men's BB and FB teams being down either with on the field/court performance or in the press (men's program just couldn't get their dirty laundry out of it!).

Getting back to the main point, the NCAA got this large poop rolling down the hill when they established that 12 FB program floor to hold a conf championship. That's what IMO started what we are now witnessing now.

I knew things might get messy a couple years ago when the movement started to get more frequent, but I must admit, I didn't think the BE would go from the premier hoops conference w/ UConn as the NC two years ago to its inevitable demise by the end of this season.

I feel an overall numbness to all this. It must be some sort of sports fandom shock or something. Hum...will my HMO cover any treatment for it?

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, it was the NCAA's ruling that a conference can have a conference FB championship game if they have 12 FB programs. School Prz's and ADs saw dollar signs and began to raid other conferences to get to that 12 team total to get that magic game and it's associated TV money. Then came the fricken BCS. Everyone wanted to make sure they had a viable FB conference to ensure they'd get those auto BCS bowl bids and the dollars that came with them, and decided, H*ll, why not go and get more teams to ensure we'll keep that boatload of money streaming in for years.

Once this began to happen the BE was f*ed due to it's FB/BB and BB only mix of members and getting the few that were good in FB (VT, UM and eventually WV & Pitt) cherry picked from the conference. Due to the makeup of the BE it was hard to hold it together and what we see now was inevitable.

I still think that the BCS Conferences that have the highest level FB/BB, just might break away from the NCAAs and gobble up the majority of the TV money amongst themselves, leaving the lessor programs that are either in a non-automatic BCS bid conference or don't play big time FB at all in the dust.

Some have cursed UConn for going big time FB. Though it might have been too little too late, it was what was needed. They just couldn't build up and sustain a high level quick enough. I'm not a big college FB fan (more an NFL fan) but I must admit I was surprised at how good Coach E was able to build the program and became relatively competitive in what seemed like a short period of time. Granted we were never close to being a national contender, but I had my doubts that they could even be competitive with middle of the road major conference teams.

The timing simply couldn't have been worse for both the Men's BB and FB teams being down either with on the field/court performance or in the press (men's program just couldn't get their dirty laundry out of it!).

Getting back to the main point, the NCAA got this large poop rolling down the hill when they established that 12 FB program floor to hold a conf championship. That's what IMO started what we are now witnessing now.

I knew things might get messy a couple years ago when the movement started to get more frequent, but I must admit, I didn't think the BE would go from the premier hoops conference w/ UConn as the NC two years ago to its inevitable demise by the end of this season.

I feel an overall numbness to all this. It must be some sort of sports fandom shock or something. Hum...will my HMO cover any treatment for it?
Analysis is dead-on IMO.

Reaction Score
I think DogMania summed up a lot of this very well but I don't think he is going back far enough. This ball got rolling back in 1984 with the lawsuit NCAA v. Univ. of Oklahoma Board of Regents when the the NCAA lost their monopoly over the tv rights for college football. For awhile it didn't seem to have much of an effect because everyone was used to the limited exposure that college football got. But as time passed, more and more money was available and the schools are all too willing (and who can blame them) to come up with ideas to snatch it up. The conference championship game is a perfect example, and I don't think the NCAA is going to have much of a say going forward.

Frankly, I think the NCAA has got to be worried about a lot of things. First, they don't seem to have much a future in the college football landscape once there are only 4 conferences (or less). They are dealing with the O'Bannon lawsuit which seems to have more legs than anyone first thought it did. There is growing sentiment that these kids should be paid for the value that they are creating in these schools and the NCAA's non-profit status, from what I've heard, is in jeopardy of being very closely scrutinized (although the BCS bowls should suffer the same fate).

The NCAA's fate, in my opinion, is tied to that of the ideal of amateurism that used to be the imaginary backbone of college sports. As more and more people become increasingly comfortable with the idea that the kids who generate millions of dollars for these schools should be compensated for their contributions, the NCAA is going to, and is already, find it much harder to justify the set of rules that they are in charge of enforcing, and also necessarily will find it hard to justify their own existence.

Reaction Score
This all very crazy to me, many of them already get a completely free education at some of the finest universities in the country and think to get paid on top that!? They would be gods of the school, of the state, of the country! Football will rule the world!!! I'm tired and confused right now. I don't feel like analyzing/thinking much right now but something about paying college students feels morally wrong. Not to say the college sports landscape isn't already corrupt, but geez.

Reaction Score
This all very crazy to me, many of them already get a completely free education at some of the finest universities in the country and think to get paid on top that!? They would be gods of the school, of the state, of the country! Football will rule the world!!! I'm tired and confused right now. I don't feel like analyzing/thinking much right now but something about paying college students feels morally wrong. Not to say the college sports landscape isn't already corrupt, but geez.

I think that for a vast majority of the kids in college, the free education is more than enough compensation for what they bring to the school...but for some it is clearly not enough.

Also, the kids later realize that as an 18 year old arriving on campus they sign documents that give the NCAA (and the member institutions) the right to use their likeness in perpetuity. That's the basis of the O'Bannon lawsuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom