NCAA recommends not to allow 1-time waiver | The Boneyard

NCAA recommends not to allow 1-time waiver

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

Seems right to me.

1. It would create total chaos.

2. Since we don't even know if there's going to be a basketball season yet, those one-time waivers could be totally squandered in the end. And you better believe if that happened, student-athletes would inevitably start asking for another one...

Reaction Score
The NCAA Division I Board of Directors said Thursday that it does not recommend potential changes to the transfer waiver process.

The Division I Council is expected to vote on a one-time transfer waiver in May that would allow student-athletes in football, men's and women's basketball, baseball and men's ice hockey to transfer and compete immediately at their new school. As it stands, student-athletes in those five sports have to sit out one year before competing.

Reaction Score
Pardon my ignorance but is there still going to be an official vote or is it a dead issue now?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I was hoping they would allow it.
Just my $.02, but I don't see how this really impacts UCONN in a negative way. Geno has significantly changed his coaching of freshman since Megan's first year. The way he treated Christyn and Olivia, and then Aubrey and Anna, was far different from how Megan was coached.

Part of it was due to the fact that Megan was playing behind Pheesa and Lou, not to mention Nurse and Williams (and I think Stevens), so he could afford NOT to play her. But she was in the doghouse far more frequently than any freshman since then.

Does that mean he's mellowed a bit, or was it simply having the luxury of having so much talent ahead of her when she was a freshman? My point - if the 1 year no-waiver transfer rule was in effect, I would not have been surprised to see her jump ship.

We will never really know what would have happened since she would have had to sit out a year. And she stayed. But going forward, with all the talent UCONN is amassing, will Geno go back to being super hard on freshmen?

And maybe I'm wrong on Megan - maybe Geno coached her exactly the way she needed. We won't know unless she ever addresses it.

On the flip side, would Azura have stayed 2 years is eligible right away? For Evina, given her injuries, it seems a blessing in disguise. Bottom line, seems like a mixed bag of impact for UCONN...

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So, allowing players to transfer one time without sitting is bad, but allowing players to be paid so long as they don't wear their school gear is good.

Sigh, it's like the NCAA uses a random generator to make decisions.

Reaction Score
As long as they're consistent. Waivers for all, or waivers for none. Not for anyone, not for any reason. Not even for favored schools.

Reaction Score
I'll bet the lower level schools (outside of the P5) and perhaps some of the lower P5 schools joined to block it because they would just become farm teams for the big boys. The latter will still take the premium recruits but will fill in the gaps by cherry picking players they originally didn't want that the lower level schools invested in and developed. The NCAA basketball tournament is exciting because of the periodic upsets where a non-major that carefully developed a compatible veteran roster beats a power full of young superstars. That would go away because the non-majors won't be able to keep their best players and the majors will use them to add upperclassmen.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Seems right to me.

1. It would create total chaos.

2. Since we don't even know if there's going to be a basketball season yet, those one-time waivers could be totally squandered in the end. And you better believe if that happened, student-athletes would inevitably start asking for another one...

It already is becoming chaos, I don't see opening up a 1 freebie rule as making things that much more chaotic. If a player is unhappy, they're likely going to transfer whether there's a 1 year rule or not IMO. Also, most other NCAA sports don't penalize for transfers and all have lower transfer rates than basketball.

Basketball far and away has the highest transfer percentage of any sport besides beach volleyball, which usually consists of indoor players transferring after completing eligibility to play on the beach for a season.

The current system is also creating a flood of graduate transfers, since several of these players have sat out in previous seasons due to the 1 year sit out rule from a prior transfer. Thing is, grad transfers more often than not do not complete their degree. It seems like most are purely a ploy to continue playing rather than actually focusing on getting a masters degree. Numbers reflect this in men's basketball and football. Not sure if the same can be said for women's basketball but my guess is it does.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I strongly suspect there are a number of potential transfers who were waiting intently to hear the NCAA’s decision on the one-time transfer waiver. If the decision had gone the other way, there may have been a flood of transfer announcements. As it stands now, I don’t anticipate an additional surge in players entering the transfer portal.

Reaction Score
The NCAA is going to have personnel cuts soon. With the large number of student-athletes transferring, I would be very surprised if they do not allow all transfers to play right away for the 2020-21 season. The man hours to review every case and the backlash from those not granted instant eligibility is not worth it for them.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Remember the atrocities at SMU? The players who may have tried to escape that venomous environment were free to go, and be punished. The NCAA is all for the
welfare of the student/athlete $$.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The NCAA is going to have personnel cuts soon. With the large number of student-athletes transferring, I would be very surprised if they do not allow all transfers to play right away for the 2020-21 season. The man hours to review every case and the backlash from those not granted instant eligibility is not worth it for them.
Good point.

Reaction Score
I would rather let everyone have a one time no questions asked transfer rather than the current system which says sometimes you can transfer and play right away, and sometimes you can't depending on how the NCAA feels on that particular day. I would rather have a black and white reliable system versus the unpredictable system we have now.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Not really if they continue their normal review process

1588275742593.png

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
As long as they're consistent. Waivers for all, or waivers for none. Not for anyone, not for any reason. Not even for favored schools.
Except for some NCAA sports that allow immediate participation, they are consistent. :rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Except for some NCAA sports that allow immediate participation, they are consistent. :rolleyes:
Snark aside from Centerstream (Trust me, I love snark more than most), the NCAA does allow all other sports the ability to transfer without penalty. From a Football and Men's Basketball perspective with Apparel/Shoe and the money generated, I understand the concern about "shadiness" for WCBB and Hockey, I have no idea why the NCAA puts restrictions on them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It already is becoming chaos, I don't see opening up a 1 freebie rule as making things that much more chaotic. If a player is unhappy, they're likely going to transfer whether there's a 1 year rule or not IMO. Also, most other NCAA sports don't penalize for transfers and all have lower transfer rates than basketball.
The difference is by replacing the swishy "hardship" guidelines with a bright line rule (1 time no sit out rule) you have a clear guideline that is applied equally. I think that is all anyone is asking for.

Reaction Score
I'll bet the lower level schools (outside of the P5) and perhaps some of the lower P5 schools joined to block it because they would just become farm teams for the big boys. The latter will still take the premium recruits but will fill in the gaps by cherry picking players they originally didn't want that the lower level schools invested in and developed. The NCAA basketball tournament is exciting because of the periodic upsets where a non-major that carefully developed a compatible veteran roster beats a power full of young superstars. That would go away because the non-majors won't be able to keep their best players and the majors will use them to add upperclassmen.
Very good analysis.

Reaction Score

I think it will be very surprising if they do let transfers play right away in 2020-21.

Reaction Score

It hasn't been blocked yet. There has been no vote. But I agree with your point that the lower level schools should all be against this proposal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom