NCAA ratifies immediate eligibility for athletes who transfer (ESPN) | The Boneyard

NCAA ratifies immediate eligibility for athletes who transfer (ESPN)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
There's also a little NIL info in the article. Not thrilled with a new metric, similar to APR, as that's what messed up the MBB a while back.

By eliminating the so-called year-in-residence for transfers, an athlete must be academically eligible at the previous school and not subject to any disciplinary suspension or dismissal to compete immediately at a new school. Transferring athletes must also meet progress-toward-degree requirements before competing.
The board will ask the committee on academics to explore creating a new metric -- similar to the NCAA's Academic Progress Rating -- that would hold schools accountable for graduating the transfers they accept.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Obvious question: What does 'immediately' mean?

I assume it would include students leaving one school for another at the end of a semester.
Does 'immediately' mean more than that? Transfer in November...in March...play right away...play
'immediately'?

Reaction Score
Obvious question: What does 'immediately' mean?

I assume it would include students leaving one school for another at the end of a semester.
Does 'immediately' mean more than that? Transfer in November...in March...play right away...play
'immediately'?
Does this eliminate the transfer and enroll deadline?

Reaction Score
If immediate means immediate can 1 school "loan" a player to another school for the NACC tournament and take that player back after the tournament? What a mess that would be...

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The portals still exist with specific dates for transferring. I would assume that there are requirements in place for players that wish to transfer outside of the portal entry timeframes.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
If immediate means immediate can 1 school "loan" a player to another school for the NACC tournament and take that player back after the tournament? What a mess that would be...
Players still have to use the portal to qualify for immediate eligibility I believe.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There has been substantial talk about how the portal and immediate play has influenced coaches coaching style; afraid they will push players out of their programs. More of this in the men's game than the women's to date. This new rule will add to this pressure. I don't like it. It is not necessary. The NCAA sees more money in facilitating stacking super teams.

Reaction Score
The portals still exist with specific dates for transferring. I would assume that there are requirements in place for players that wish to transfer outside of the portal entry timeframes.

The timeline is for immediate eligibility. A player can enter the portal at any time.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
There has been substantial talk about how the portal and immediate play has influenced coaches coaching style; afraid they will push players out of their programs. More of this in the men's game than the women's to date. This new rule will add to this pressure. I don't like it. It is not necessary. The NCAA sees more money in facilitating stacking super teams.
However, this new rule alleviates the issue with the NCAA and the DOJ going head to head with respect to players only getting one free pass to not sit out a year.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
It's more the opposite. Players and their lawyers see coaches, administrators and university presidents move at will and just want the same flexibility. Lawyers argue that college players are employees and should move as easily between schools as a kid between McDs and BK.

The NCAA supports the old sit out a year route, but keeps losing in court. Not about NCAA money, just about employee law.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
One thing I forgot - somewhere in this rule change is that the portal deadline now extends to grad transfers. I'll see if I can find it in the official, and probably long, NCAA legislation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom