NCAA proposes new transfer rules | The Boneyard

NCAA proposes new transfer rules

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
This is going to be a pretty big change. While they are allowing conference-specific rules, here's the general highlights:

- Players can transfer and play immediately as long as their GPA is 3.0 or higher
- Players no longer need permission, but they need to notify the school they want to transfer
- Incoming freshmen can transfer immediately if their coach leaves

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-transfer-group-requests-feedback-rule-concepts

Want to guess how many players are now going to have 2.8 GPAs (enough for athletic, academic, and APR success--but low enough to hinder transferring)?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Want to guess how many players are now going to have 2.8 GPAs (enough for athletic, academic, and APR success--but low enough to hinder transferring)?
You, sir, are a cynical man. ;)

Reaction Score
Allowing players to transfer and play immediately is going to significantly destabilize rosters. Bad idea. College basketball needs more continuity, not turnover -- it's bad enough with the one-and-done rule and the g-league option.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This could be chaotic. One key element will be timing. What is the window during which this happens? Presumably the NCAA will want these players to complete the academic year. So you find out several key players are gone when? In May? Or do they announce after the tournament? Even then, the misalignment with the recruiting period will create a feeding frenzy.

Essentially, these kids declare free agency, then they can see who stays and goes elsewhere. Shamet leaves WSU...boom, now some PG is looking to transfer there. They need to think through the timing. I have no issue if player A at UCLA decides he wants to go to his home school at say, Illinois. But letting them transfer before they have a destination is going to create a mess.

Reaction Score
I don't have the link, but the Big 12 was putting together a proposal after this one came out (the article above is from February) that would modify the rule to this: you could transfer immediately if your coach left or was fired. You would not be able to follow your coach to their new school. You would still have sit out a year under any other situation, except grad transfers.

That seemed to be gathering more momentum among schools and conferences that the proposal above.

Reaction Score
Allowing players to transfer and play immediately is going to significantly destabilize rosters. Bad idea. College basketball needs more continuity, not turnover -- it's bad enough with the one-and-done rule and the g-league option.
I can’t like this enough. Before long we’ll just be having one big draft every July to figure out who plays where. Not really a draft because god knows they will never allow mismajors first pick, but more like free agency. They are really making every effort to turn this game into a pickup league.

Reaction Score
This is going to be terrible for programs going through a rough stretch. We're going to see what happened to Pitt this year happen at several schools every year, even without coaches getting canned. One bad year will set some programs back five years or more.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
smh impatient millennials

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If I get this, a kid with an under 3.0 can still transfer, but has to sit a year. Presumably interconference transfer could still require a waiting period (2 years?) even for the 3.0 kid. This is one of those rules that could be dropped or revised if it turns the game into a free agent system and if the powers that be decide its bad.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I hope it's a complete cluster$@#k. It won't happen the first year, but the second, I hope 3,000 players transfer, whole programs are decimated and can't field teams, and Duke and UK become invincible. Right in the NCAA's pie hole.

Reaction Score
Horrible. Insane. Beyond stupid.

The squid won't even recruit high school. He will field an all-poached team.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I agree this is insanity. Some details are not mentioned like what happens to those with a 2.9 grade point average. They can transfer but have to sit out a year? A semester? They can't transfer? If the Assistant coach that recruited a kid leaves but the HC stays can that kid transfer?

Reaction Score
This is going to be a pretty big change. While they are allowing conference-specific rules, here's the general highlights:

- Players can transfer and play immediately as long as their GPA is 3.0 or higher
A 3.0 is super easy to get. I barely even went to class my Freshmen year, really slacked off, etc and barely passed. Got serious my 2nd year and for the rest of my UNI career and got a 3.1 career gpa ... Most of my more studious friends left with 3.5s and 3.75s. Probably could have gotten something similar had I taken Freshmen year more serious.

They could at least increase the minimum IMO.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I like this better:

You enroll in a school. If you transfer after you play in a game for that school, you are ineligible. There are plenty of options for kids to play basketball for a living if that is the only reason for attending school in the first place.

If you want to give kids a pass if their coach leaves, fine sit out a year as it is now.

Problem solved.

Reaction Score
This is designed to allow big schools to raid small ones. You want to embarrass us Loyola. Next year your best underclassmen will play for us. I agree with subba.

Reaction Score
A 3.0 is super easy to get. I barely even went to class my Freshmen year, really slacked off, etc and barely passed. Got serious my 2nd year and for the rest of my UNI career and got a 3.1 career gpa ... Most of my more studious friends left with 3.5s and 3.75s. Probably could have gotten something similar had I taken Freshmen year more serious.

They could at least increase the minimum IMO.
EDIT - READ the link, its recommendations of a 'working group'.
Too much focus on GPA aspect, last thing we need is more NCAA monitoring of anything & schools/coaches whatever making their way around strictly enforced NCAA rules.

I don't think the sit one year thing is broken, I thought this was going to be about the grad transfers playing immediately - essentially the minor problem that this would turn into a massive problem.

My guess is the working group threw the 2nd thing in there so that they can have the equitable outcome of the 'student athletes' can transfer and play immediately because coaches can. No chance players even one-time transfer and play immediately even if limited to Rhodes scholars only.

Reaction Score
This could be disastrous. Every time a frosh or soph. Gets bothered that they are not getting enough time on the floor they would be gone. No player development over years. How are you supposed to build a program with this system??

This disaster will totally change college hoops. I enjoy watching players grow over 4 years. Usually the teams with a few veterans that came into their own as upperclassmen are the ones that go deep into March.

If a player is really good he is gone pro in a year or two.. Now your going to have to deal with losing a bunch of players to transfer too.

Reaction Score
A transfer can already play immediately unless it’s within the same conference. My boss’s son plays D1 soccer within the AAC and was considering a transfer - schools within the AAC weren’t going to be an interest because of that rule.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
A transfer can already play immediately unless it’s within the same conference. My boss’s son plays D1 soccer within the AAC and was considering a transfer - schools within the AAC weren’t going to be an interest because of that rule.

?

No they can't. If that was the case, Sid Wilson would have played this past year.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
So say Duke is the odds on favorite to win it all in a particular season, returning everyone but their Center. The best returning center in the country can transfer to Duke to create a super team so long as he has a 3.0 or his coach leaves?

Reaction Score
Coaches will hate this because:

A) It will remove a primary means of player control - access to playing time. A player who thinks he isn't getting enough playing time (or worse, doesn't think he is being featured at the level he expects) can use the threat of transfer as leverage.

B) The life of the coach will become a life of perpetual recruiting. Won't that be just eternal bliss?

C) Plans for building teams will be overturned by player empowerment meaning coaching jobs will be at stake over transfers. See comment about player leverage.

But this will only happen if the power conferences want it. They will have to see some financial advantage. That being the case, it's a long way from being a done deal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom