NCAA Performance Over The Last Decade (a different stat) | The Boneyard

NCAA Performance Over The Last Decade (a different stat)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A couple of recent threads have introduced the topic of which programs have performed the best over the past five years and how those programs differed from those of the previous five years.

Here is my Top Twenty using a simple statistic: the number of games played over the course of a tournament. A team making the competition plays 1 game. Make it to the second round, that's another game played, etc. Comparing teams over time is as simple as summing the "games played" across the interval of interest (or different intervals).

It might seem counterintuitive that such a simple statistic could yield significant discriminating power. It is the nature of the contest itself (win or go home) that provides the context that yields the power. Every team (save the champ) has exactly one loss per tournament appearance.

Inherent in the games played number, for example, is winning percentage. If a team played 3 games, they went 2-1. Want to know which teams went to the Elite Eight and then went home? Games played equals 4.

Team A made the Sweet Sixteen (before losing) five times in five years. Team B made the Final Four (before losing) three times and missed the tourney entirely the other two years. Who performed better? Answer: they performed the same. Five Sweet Sixteens at 3 games per equals 15 games, same as three Final Fours at 5 games per.

Also included in "games played" which other comparisons often ignore is credit for making the tournament at all, and for making the second round before bowing out.

One wrinkle added to my calculation is that of an "implied game." When just the games played are counted, there is no differentiation between the two teams that play for the championship. Both play 6 games. The champion gets no recognition for its unique achievement. The title winner, however, would have played a seventh game had the tournament continued whereas the runner-up would not. Thus, the champion is credited with a 7th games played by virtue of this "implied game."

Note: Using "wins" instead of "games played" would accomplish the same objective as the "implied game" without resorting to an artificial construct. Wins, however, suffers from two disadvantages. It requires more information, namely the result of each contest, and is therefore more difficult to calculate and prone to error. More importantly, "wins" ignores information. Those 32 teams that lose in the first round are not recognized for having accomplished something the 200+ not making the tourney didn't.

The Top Twenty (rank, team, games played)

2009-2013
1 Connecticut 31
2 Stanford 24
3 Baylor 22
4 Notre Dame 21
5 Duke 18
6 Oklahoma 18
7 Louisville 17
8 Texas A&M 17
9 Tennessee 16
10 Kentucky 14
11 Maryland 13
12 Gonzaga 13
13 Georgia 12
14 Iowa State 11
15 Vanderbilt 10
16 Michigan State 10
17 Purdue 10
18 Florida State 10
19 California 10
20 LSU 9

2004-2008
1 Tennessee 29
2 LSU 25
3 Connecticut 23
4 Duke 20
5 Stanford 20
6 North Carolina 19
7 Rutgers 18
8 Baylor 17
9 Maryland 16
10 Georgia 15
11 Purdue 14
12 Vanderbilt 13
13 Michigan State 13
14 Notre Dame 11
15 Oklahoma 11
16 Arizona State 11
17 George Washington 11
18 Minnesota 10
19 DePaul 9
20 Ohio State 9

Ten Years (2004-2013)
1 Connecticut 54
2 Tennessee 45
3 Stanford 44
4 Baylor 39
5 Duke 38
6 LSU 34
7 Notre Dame 32
8 Maryland 30
9 Oklahoma 29
10 Georgia 27
11 North Carolina 27
12 Rutgers 25
13 Purdue 24
14 Louisville 24
15 Texas A&M 24
16 Vanderbilt 23
17 Michigan State 23
18 Florida State 19
19 Ohio State 18
20 DePaul 17

Changes Between 2004-2008 and 2009-2013

Biggest Losers:
(fewer games per year during 2009-2013 than during 2004-2008)
LSU 3.2
Tennessee 2.6
North Carolina 2.2
Rutgers 2.2
George Washington 2.2

Biggest Winners:
(more games per year during 2009-2013 than during 2004-2008)
Gonzaga 2.4
Kentucky 2.4
Louisville 2.0
Notre Dame 2.0
Texas A&M 2.0

Also interesting (according to me anyway) is that ten teams (Baylor, UConn, DePaul, Duke, Georgia, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Stanford, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt) made the tournament all ten years. Nine teams (LSU, Marist, Maryland, Michigan State, Middle Tennessee, North Carolina, Ohio State, Purdue, and Rutgers made the field nine times. Eight teams (Florida State, Wisconsin-Green Bay, Iowa, Iowa State, Liberty, Louisville, Temple, and Texas A&M) appeared eight times

183 different teams have played in the tournament over the past ten years.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Biggest losers gave me a chuckle! Good stuff. Thanks for figuring it out!

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Rutgers isn't even on the top-20 list for 2009-2013. Brutal.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I did a similar metric a year or possibly 2 ago and RU was 9th. A quick drop due to a first round exit followed by not making the tourney at all.

There has not truly been a pleasant season to enjoy in like 4 years, but the last 2 have been brutal. And even though many of us understand many of the contributing factors, it just has not been fun.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I did a similar metric a year or possibly 2 ago and RU was 9th. A quick drop due to a first round exit followed by not making the tourney at all.

There has not truly been a pleasant season to enjoy in like 4 years, but the last 2 have been brutal. And even though many of us understand many of the contributing factors, it just has not been fun.
I haven't really evaluated where they logically should be this year, but what kind of season do you expect for RU? Lots of talent, but hard for me to figure. Will Lee be back at 100% this year? Do you see them as a top 10 or top 20 team at all?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I haven't really evaluated where they logically should be this year, but what kind of season do you expect for RU? Lots of talent, but hard for me to figure. Will Lee be back at 100% this year? Do you see them as a top 10 or top 20 team at all?
Lee graduated, it is Canty that is more of a concern. Rutgers could really use some of her talent which was never seen at RU, due to her on-going injury and health issues.

This could be a very good year or another disaster. On average, most fans including myself are cautiously optimistic. Certainly the lack of a decent point guard last year really hurt, which Scaife (sp?) may remedy. And we get Burke that transferred from Illinois and I think is solid. I'm a little nervous about the center position (also an issue last year due to Lee and Oliver's injuries), but I admit to being more disconnected now that I am not local.

This is the team that will make or break Vivian, because - on paper - they should be quite decent. If they cannot have a successful season (which obviously includes NCAA, and I think at least one victory there) then I think she will be gone. That said, I have always felt that she is and has been only one piece of the issues that sort of drove the RU bus off the road. I don't think things went awry because of CVS, although I do think that she is responsible for not being able to "right the ship". How's that for some cliches.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Uconn is absolutely dominant. The past four seasons have wrought four F4s and two NCs. The team is poised to be a national championship team next year. Probable top 5 in Stef, plus probable top two wings in Breanna and KML. The bench figures to be Bria, Brianna, and Kiah, as well as Saniya (probable starting lineup is Mo, KML, Morgan, Stef, and Breanna). Truly a spectacular balance of talent and coaching. I really can't wait for next season. I'm in the hospital with brain surgery, so I am able to rehab in anticipation of the upcoming season.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Hope things are OK, Alex. Blessings to you and the kids in this time.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Certainly the lack of a decent point guard last year really hurt, which Scaife (sp?) may remedy.
I think she could be really good. She was a good get for Rutgers.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I really can't wait for next season. I'm in the hospital with brain surgery, so I am able to rehab in anticipation of the upcoming season.
First off, Yikes!, sorry to hear that. Hope everything goes well, Secondly, you don't really need brain surgery to be on here though. ;)

The bench figures to be Bria, Brianna, and Kiah, as well as Saniya (probable starting lineup is Mo, KML, Morgan, Stef, and Breanna).
ummm, no. I'll bet your bottom dollar Hartley is starting. It may (may) come down to Jefferson or Tuck for that final starting spot, though I'll put my money on Jefferson.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
MoJeff, Hartley, KML, Stewart, Dolson are the starters.

Morgan first of the bench along with BBanks depending on the position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom