NCAA pay athletes agreement | The Boneyard

NCAA pay athletes agreement

Reaction Score
Not sure if this is bad or better, but it probably will make a difference.

NCAA and power conferences agree to settlement paving the way for schools to pay student-athletes​

Kyle Feldscher
By Jacob Lev and Kyle Feldscher, CNN

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score

College Athletes Can Get Paid by Schools in NCAA Accord (1)​

The National Collegiate Athletics Association and its Power Five conferences have agreed to a settlement of nearly $2.8 billion to resolve antitrust litigation, following years of legal fights with student athletes demanding fair pay.

Five conferences were sued. The legal liability is still attached to the remnants of the PC12.

Reaction Score
This will give the Power 5 conferences another big advantage in the recruiting process.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Crazy amounts of money involved. The sad part, to me, is that it's real. It would be great if the kids on It's Academic (a high-school quiz show) had grounds to sue for billions. Or even millions.

[/soap box]

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
One of the real impacts here is that the schools that invested heavily in football looking for the golden egg...will now get a broken egg.
Broken in that it will take 10-20 years to work off the, $2.8 billion payments to former athletes, and football now has the added expense of paying players, making it less profitable.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
You want questions? We got em. Plenty.

N.C.A.A. Athletes’ Pay Deal Raises Questions About Future of College Sports​

The landmark settlement made many wonder what the reality — and impact — of revenue-sharing plans with college athletes would look like. N.C.A.A. Athletes’ Pay Deal Raises Questions About Future of College Sports
What the Times article lacks is detail about the proposed settlement.

Those of us who competed as college amateurs, “for the love of the sport”, with or without athletic scholarships (Now there's an oxymoron!) can save the fond memories. That world is dead and gone.

This new world may be good for some college athletes, but probably won't touch most. Stay tuned for the exciting new episodes of How the Legal Profession Got Rich Litigating the Employment Contracts of Power 4 Field Hockey Players.

Reaction Score
This gives me hope that schools like Duke and Stanford will be compelled to compensate their athletes and that could at least partially close the NIL gap the collectives (especially the ones at the large public schools) have created.

Reaction Score
Crazy amounts of money involved. The sad part, to me, is that it's real. It would be great if the kids on It's Academic (a high-school quiz show) had grounds to sue for billions. Or even millions.

[/soap box]
It would be great if the outcome was standardized - so the the rules were unambiguous, applied to all and player/schools could understand/abide by them.

I fear it will be a crazy quilt of special interests and exemptions that make the lawyers even richer at the expense of the schools & athlete families.

Reaction Score
Thamel thinks amateurism is dead in the NCAA. Good riddance. It was always an exploitative relationship.

I’d be sad to see the collapse of college athletics, if that’s the result. But I doubt it will be. I imagine we’ll end up with a more transparent system in which players are remunerated for the real value of their property. That may leave a bad taste in the mouths of some. But the current scheme has long irritated me.

Reaction Score
I would consider an annual scholarship a form of payment. I played 3 sports in college because I enjoyed it. Since it was an Ivy, scholarships weren't even an option. Loved competing and being part of a team. I was able travel to campuses throughout the northeast (and some spring trips south) and treasured every day. These remain among my fondest memories.

This was in the early days of Title IX and I suppose we all just felt fortunate to finally have an opportunity to play the sports we loved at a high level. Graduating without student loans is a nice reward for those focused on a quid pro quo.

Reaction Score
As a former athlete and the parent of one I would say this decision will have many unintended consequences that many sports will not be able to survive. Most athletic departments have difficulty making money now and very few of them will have the additional money to fund a payment to all players.

Now if this took out the NIL and "donations" could be made to athletic scholarship funds instead it could help to have money left to pay lesser sports. The challenge as I see it is paying athletes who participate in sports that really don't generate revenue and even more interesting will be how they decide to split up the money.

Reaction Score
It is about time. The NCAA is finally, slowly, adapting to the times. Sadly, this movement is months away, if not longer. This still has to get approval by a judge and it opens up more questions. Plus, paying the players won't stop the under the table payments by some programs, coaches, and boosters. When players were getting brown bags of cash in the 60s, 70s, and suitcases of cash in the 80s and 90s, the trend will continue.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Plus, paying the players won't stop the under the table payments by some programs, coaches, and boosters. When players were getting brown bags of cash in the 60s, 70s, and suitcases of cash in the 80s and 90s, the trend will continue.
Nothing is under the table any more, it's all out in the open with NIL.

Reaction Score
I would consider an annual scholarship a form of payment. I played 3 sports in college because I enjoyed it. Since it was an Ivy, scholarships weren't even an option. Loved competing and being part of a team. I was able travel to campuses throughout the northeast (and some spring trips south) and treasured every day. These remain among my fondest memories.

This was in the early days of Title IX and I suppose we all just felt fortunate to finally have an opportunity to play the sports we loved at a high level. Graduating without student loans is a nice reward for those focused on a quid pro quo.
Amateur athletics will still exist, in the Ivies, and at the d2 and d3 schools.And the competition, even in d3 is very intense. My grandson will be playing baseball at a d3 next year. Really good baseball, very strong academics.

Reaction Score
This new world may be good for some college athletes, but probably won't touch most. Stay tuned for the exciting new episodes of How the Legal Profession Got Rich Litigating the Employment Contracts of Power 4 Field Hockey Players.

That is were there is even more questions.

Field Hockey is a great example. Does Dionne van Aalsum get paid…. Not get paid? How does it work for the international student on a student visa?

Reaction Score
Amateur athletics will still exist, in the Ivies, and at the d2 and d3 schools.And the competition, even in d3 is very intense. My grandson will be playing baseball at a d3 next year. Really good baseball, very strong academics.
That’s where I send most of my donations. My alma mater and Whitman College, a great D3 women’s bball team (and excellent academics) my daughter attended. Cal was my grad school and I live nearby so I’ll continue to support them unless things go haywire totally with the pay to play world.

Reaction Score
Nothing is under the table any more, it's all out in the open with NIL.
We still have shoe company reps working the summer basketball tournaments, more on the men's side vs women's side, trying to get player X to attend whatever program sponsored by shoe company X.

Reaction Score
Here's a good take on the problem from Sally Jenkins:

"The major universities that control the NCAA became so untethered from behaviors befitting campuses that they are now lobbying, begging even, for antitrust protection from an endless cycle of billion-dollar settlements and court judgments that they provoked with their chronic commercial abuses of athletes’ rights. Without a federal shield, they contend, college athletics will be ungovernable. Fine. Grant a limited antitrust protection — but with caveats that force these power conference schools to stop behaving like strip miners. Drag them back to the realm of learning."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom