NCAA only benefits a certain school | The Boneyard

NCAA only benefits a certain school

Reaction Score
Rice is not alone. There are currently mixed signals about who can get paid as an athlete and who cannot. While Olympic swimming star Katie Ledecky of Stanford is one of the most recent to have to stop competing collegiately in order to start earning money, Notre Dame basketball star Arike Ogunbowale recently received a waiver from the NCAA that allowed her to make money as a participant on Dancing with the Stars. The NCAA said it was granting the waiver because the show was unrelated to her basketball abilities.

Rice isn't buying it.

"I couldn’t for the life of me understand the explanation,” she said, “because obviously she’s there because she hit two winning shots in two basketball games (in the women’s Final Four), so that’s the connection.”

Condaleeza Rice on the current problems with the NCAA, USAToday

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'd wondered about that. Heaven forbid someone buys her a Coke because she plays because she plays basketball, but being paid to be on network TV is somehow okay.

Reaction Score
Rice is just kidding. She went to ND. That’s why we were happy when she was on the football playoff committee. Unfortunately we stunk the years she could have helped us out.

Reaction Score
Rice is just kidding. She went to ND. That’s why we were happy when she was on the football playoff committee. Unfortunately we stunk the years she could have helped us out.
Not undergrad. And taught at Stanford, the college she is almost universally associated with.

Reaction Score
Not undergrad. And taught at Stanford, the college she is almost universally associated with.

That’s why no one realizes that she likes ND. I was on campus a few years ago when she came back for a round of golf. The only problem was when we fired Ty Willingham. She liked him, but I think she’s forgiven us for that

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The only problem was when we fired Ty Willingham. She liked him, but I think she’s forgiven us for that

Yeah but then he went to UW and completely cratered the Huskies. UW fans will never forgive Willingham for that, and it's ND's fault for letting him become available! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Yeah but then he went to UW and completely cratered the Huskies. UW fans will never forgive Willingham for that, and it's ND's fault for letting him become available! :rolleyes:

We were getting tons of crap for firing Willingham. Then he went to Washington and demonstrated to the world that he was a terrible coach. ND fans will always owe a debt of gratitude to the West coast Huskies for that.

Reaction Score

You really think she was kidding? I haven't read the article but that quote didn't read like she was being lighthearted.........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom