NCAA officially cannot regulate NIL | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA officially cannot regulate NIL

Reaction Score
1 observation. Take a kid like Castle who will play 1 or 2 years for UConn. I'm wondering what his most important priority will be for choosing a college program if he knows he is going to the show sometime soon. The coach. The program's history. The largest $bag. I'm thinking the largest NIL deal may not be quite as important. You get a great combination like UConn and Hurley and if the kid connects, NIL may not be that big a deal. The coach will probably be the single biggest factor. Case in point is the Big 10. Lots of big programs which will no doubt have cash, but they still don't win when it counts.

Reaction Score
1 observation. Take a kid like Castle who will play 1 or 2 years for UConn. I'm wondering what his most important priority will be for choosing a college program if he knows he is going to the show sometime soon. The coach. The program's history. The largest $bag. I'm thinking the largest NIL deal may not be quite as important. You get a great combination like UConn and Hurley and if the kid connects, NIL may not be that big a deal. The coach will probably be the single biggest factor. Case in point is the Big 10. Lots of big programs which will no doubt have cash, but they still don't win when it counts.
Castle will only play 1 year at UConn. This has been beaten to death by now.

Reaction Score
Obviously $$ isn't the only consideration in picking a college, but you don't think it's very high up on the priority list for many of these kids?

I guess it's the same as schools offering academic scholarship money to come to their school. Not every kid chooses the college that offers them a lot of money, but it's definitely a consideration for most families. Or else why would schools offer it?

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I think most football players will be more likely to go searching for the biggest bag they can get. In football, its basically the NFL or bust so they need to get as much money as they can in college because the majority aren't going to make it. And they have to be in college for at least 3 years. In basketball, the best only stay a year or 2 and even for everybody else, there are way more professional opportunities in bball than football. JMO well see how it all plays out

Reaction Score
To summarize: The NCAA, which is essentially just the member schools, made a set of rules. One of the member schools that was part of making the rules violated the rules and then sued to prevent the group that they were a part of from enforcing the rules that they agreed to.

I am terribly impressed by Tennessee.
And the judge

Reaction Score
"NCAA rules prohibit athletes from signing NIL contracts that are designed as inducements to get them to attend a particular school -- one of the few restrictions in place for how athletes can make money...."

Come on.... isn't that what NIL really is??? :confused:

Reaction Score
I'm just a fan on his first cup of coffee, but this brings up so many questions.

If this renders the NCAA less powerful, (and it seems so) will they be able to maintain a level of control over the game? Able to maintain a level of revenue? Eventually become just a sidebar?

Does each university make their own rules with the athletes? Seems there will have to be contracts to be sure they show up for games? And practice?

Will universities be an institution of higher learning for non-athletes only with sports entertainment on the side?

It does sound very wild west.

Reaction Score
NIL was portrayed as the "kids' opportunity to earn money based on their Name, Image and Likeness" that grew from the decision on Ed O'Bannon's lawsuit.

Many of us (or maybe just naive me) believed that meant they could do commercials or special events for a local business, for example, or license their names to be used on apparel, video games or any number of other commercial opportunities that bring value to a business and income to the player. That, as I understood it (naively obviously) meant the kid could contract with an agent who would manage his deals for a percentage.

That is not what it's become.

If the courts uphold this decision, and Dartmouth's players joining a union becomes the norm, the players will have been deemed to be employees and won't it be fun to watch what happens when they strike the week before the NCAA tournament to secure more money or benefits and less practice time?

If the collegiate model implodes, what will replace it? The G-league or something like that? Who's going to pay for the losses they incur? Not the alums or legislature.

I went to a couple Albany Patroons games when I lived near Albany when Bill Musselman was the coach, but that was just out of curiosity. No way would I be a season ticket holder for such a team and neither will most people in the country.

The NCAA is weak enough already but if they're castrated like this there won't be enough TV contract money for anyone, not even the B1G, to maintain long term viability.

I wonder if the NFL and NBA are worrying about this issue too, because the expense of developing immature (body and skill wise) players for their leagues would end up costing the owners a lot of money the colleges take care of today. Like the African Academy for the NBA or the Dominican League for baseball.

Reaction Score
NIL was portrayed as the "kids' opportunity to earn money based on their Name, Image and Likeness" that grew from the decision on Ed O'Bannon's lawsuit.

Many of us (or maybe just naive me) believed that meant they could do commercials or special events for a local business, for example, or license their names to be used on apparel, video games or any number of other commercial opportunities that bring value to a business and income to the player. That, as I understood it (naively obviously) meant the kid could contract with an agent who would manage his deals for a percentage.

That is not what it's become.

If the courts uphold this decision, and Dartmouth's players joining a union becomes the norm, the players will have been deemed to be employees and won't it be fun to watch what happens when they strike the week before the NCAA tournament to secure more money or benefits and less practice time?

If the collegiate model implodes, what will replace it? The G-league or something like that? Who's going to pay for the losses they incur? Not the alums or legislature.

I went to a couple Albany Patroons games when I lived near Albany when Bill Musselman was the coach, but that was just out of curiosity. No way would I be a season ticket holder for such a team and neither will most people in the country.

The NCAA is weak enough already but if they're castrated like this there won't be enough TV contract money for anyone, not even the B1G, to maintain long term viability.

I wonder if the NFL and NBA are worrying about this issue too, because the expense of developing immature (body and skill wise) players for their leagues would end up costing the owners a lot of money the colleges take care of today. Like the African Academy for the NBA or the Dominican League for baseball.
I don’t see college sports going away. However it is ironic those who celebrate the fall of the ncaa without realizing that the whole thing can go overboard with it.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The romanticizing of anti competitive and anti labor monopoly that stole money from thousands is kinda funny though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom