NCAA Naismith POY 10 Finalists Announced | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA Naismith POY 10 Finalists Announced

Reaction Score
They are "Precious" for two different reasons. Precious I was nicknamed Precious by her teammates because of Geno favoring her. Precious II was nicknamed Precious because of her contributions on the court. Not saying Precious I didn't contribute just saying how she got her nickname.

From a story a couple of years back apparently Napheesa's father named her Precious which comes out Napheesa in his native Sera Leone language. Since that story I have off and on called her Precious. It is fitting now because how much Uconn needs her contributions.
And Yes was Precious to her teammate, i.e. the "fair-haired" player. Is that why Harry agreed to let her get a historic scoring mark in Pa?

Reaction Score
Katie Lou Samuelson
Connecticut: 19.9 P, 7.1 R, 3.8 A
For the Huskies, Samuelson is the perfect yin to Collier’s yang. A shooter’s shooter, Samuelson arguably the nation’s premier 3-point shooter though her percentages are down from the 2017-18 campaign.

According to the NCAA Lou is listed as 89th in 3PT% in Division I. Hype has a life of its own.
Yeah, but Lou’s 47.5% led the nation last year. She likely will finish in the top 2-4 of career 3-point shooters. To paraphrase Curly in City Slickers, “Season ain’t over yet.”
This season's stats also say that Collier is a poor ft shooter and for someone who plays down low that is a big thing in addition to her being a weak 3pt shooter. Those negatives count too.

Reaction Score
From a story a couple of years back apparently Napheesa's father named her Precious which comes out Napheesa in his native Sera Leone language. Since that story I have off and on called her Precious. It is fitting now because how much Uconn needs her contributions.
And Yes was Precious to her teammate, i.e. the "fair-haired" player. Is that why Harry agreed to let her get a historic scoring mark in Pa?
Folks, it is Sierra Leone not Sera Leone

Reaction Score
Folks, it is Sierra Leone not Sera Leone
Thanks, however that won't help this
feeble brain, Sera is locked in--so the next time it will be Sera. However, you will always know the difference. The true question is: is the rest of that posting accurate? Thanks.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
This season's stats also say that Collier is a poor ft shooter and for someone who plays down low that is a big thing in addition to her being a weak 3pt shooter. Those negatives count too.
Not sure to what you are referring. I was pointing out Lou is still considered a leading 3PT threat while her 3PT results have her ranked at 89. The talking heads believe their own hype and ignore reality.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Yeah, but Lou’s 47.5% led the nation last year. She likely will finish in the top 2-4 of career 3-point shooters. To paraphrase Curly in City Slickers, “Season ain’t over yet.”

No it is not over. I hope not for 12 more games? In sales all that mattered was your performance relative to your current quota. What have you done for me lately? Last year she was the best. This year 89th. As of this moment Lou is the 6th best UCONN career 3PT shooter. Her career 3PT% is 41.5%. Nurse is in 4th place at 42.8%. Hope for Memphis again in the AAC tourney. Seriously!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I thought Asjha Jones was also ascribed the moniker "Precious," because Geno rarely wailed on her. Napheesa, who is truly named "Precious," might be Precious III.

Reaction Score
No it is not over. I hope not for 12 more games? In sales all that mattered was your performance relative to your current quota. What have you done for me lately? Last year she was the best. This year 89th. As of this moment Lou is the 6th best UCONN career 3PT shooter. Her career 3PT% is 41.5%. Nurse is in 4th place at 42.8%. Hope for Memphis again in the AAC tourney. Seriously![/Q
Not sure to what you are referring. I was pointing out Lou is still considered a leading 3PT threat while her 3PT results have her ranked at 89. The talking heads believe their own hype and ignore reality.
My point was why does KLS's sub par (for her) 3pt shooting mean more than Collier's sub par (for everyone) ft shooting, not to mention that she is not a threat from behind the arc.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Because the article didn't say anything about Phee being one of the best shooters in anything. But did refer the Lou as one the best 3PT shooters when this year this is clearly not the case. I don't understand why she is having so much trouble. Since as Geno says you don't know what you will get from her game to game. But yet occasionally she shoots lights out but then goes cold for a few games. I can understand the games when she is buffeted about defensively. But not when she has time and is not hounded by a defender. In any case neither Phee or Lou will be the POY. Ionescu has been preordained. All those triple doubles, her aggressive leadership style, on court presence, and her highly ranked winning team will get her the title. Also she is believed to be quite consistent game to game.

Reaction Score
Sabrina Ionescu is a lock for POY. Her stats this season are off the wall (and this is not to take away from the other 9 finalists, which have had a really good season)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No, I think Arike deserves to be on as well. I think the girl from Marquette would be first to go. I’d probably put Kalani on before Young.
I'm trying to remember a time when the #1 team in the country didn't have a POY candidate.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Thanks @Orangutan, this makes much more sense! Though, I still don't see Alana Smith, Kalani Brown nor McCowan making the final 5. At this point KLS is on the outside of that grouping as well :oops:.
My top 5, would be Collier, Ionescu, Gustafson, Durr, Anigwe. The choice of Anigwe over Ogunbowale was tough but 30 pts and 30 rebounds leaves an indelible imprint more so than the ESPN overplayed Adam "I am so annoying" Amin moment....

Reaction Score
Here is the *real* list of Naismith Semifinalists

Anigwe
K. Brown
Collier
Durr
Gustafson
Ionescu
McCowan
Ogunbowale
Samuelson
A. Smith

My prediction for 1st team AA: Sabrina, Arike, Durr, Gustafson, Kalani

Reaction Score
My prediction for 1st team AA: Sabrina, Arike, Durr, Gustafson, Kalani
I think you would have to choose between Durr and Arike, and put Collier in there for the 1st team. Last year the AP chose Durr on the first team over Arike, and that race between the two is looking to be very close again this year.

Reaction Score
Compiled the ten nominees plus Bridget Carleton in spreadsheet (stats taken from each individual school website this morning 03-04-2019). Main spreadsheet is sorted per total points/gm. Also sorted each stat category to top 5 (. Spreadsheet I believe should be self explanatory, If missed anything or something wrong, please let me know...and don't hold back. :rolleyes: Don't know this Bridget Carleton but she's in few top 5 ranks (name in red)

1551723430639.png

Reaction Score
IMO Top 5 should probably read: Ionescu, Durr, Collier, Gustafson, Arike. Hard not to have Brown but her numbers aren’t great enough and not sure anyone really thinks Baylor is far and away the best team. Would be different if they were undefeated. Sabrina holding the lead for POY. Gustafson charging & Collier lurking in the bushes. Durr’s 47 point game will help her but doesn’t do much else besides score. But my oh my can she score.

Conference Tournaments will decide POY I believe. Pheesa at a major disadvantage because of this.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Compiled the ten nominees plus Bridget Carleton in spreadsheet (stats taken from each individual school website this morning 03-04-2019). Main spreadsheet is sorted per total points/gm. Also sorted each stat category to top 5 (. Spreadsheet I believe should be self explanatory, If missed anything or something wrong, please let me know...and don't hold back. :rolleyes: Don't know this Bridget Carleton but she's in few top 5 ranks (name in red)
For my money Carleton is the best player not included in the 10 finalists. She's always been kinda under the radar, and apparently still is.

Reaction Score
Thanks @Orangutan, this makes much more sense! Though, I still don't see Alana Smith, Kalani Brown nor McCowan making the final 5. At this point KLS is on the outside of that grouping as well :oops:.
My top 5, would be Collier, Ionescu, Gustafson, Durr, Anigwe. The choice of Anigwe over Ogunbowale was tough but 30 pts and 30 rebounds leaves an indelible imprint more so than the ESPN overplayed Adam "I am so annoying" Amin moment....
I don't get this about KLS. She is actually having her best all-around season. She is a victim of her reputation as great 3pt shooter. That is the only part of her game not up to HER standards. She has is at career highs in Reb, FT%, Blocks & As. Plus, her incomparable (for big stars) team play and more ways to help her team to success than any other player in the country. Obviously, I'm saying as she was last season, still the best player in the country.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think part of the narrative is during their two losses at Baylor And at Louisville, KLS did not have great games, whereas Ms. Brown and Ms. Durr did, thus minimizing her loftiness.i agree with you as she is having a great year in all stats including being the back up point guard as Geno stated tonight after the USF game. Hopefully, all the voters saw how sluggish the offense was when Lou was absent and even Napheesa struggled getting open as USF had her guarded and shadowed all night. Not having to worry about another shooter/paint presence player which Lou has become at 6’3”.

Reaction Score
I don't get this about KLS. She is actually having her best all-around season. She is a victim of her reputation as great 3pt shooter. That is the only part of her game not up to HER standards. She has is at career highs in Reb, FT%, Blocks & As. Plus, her incomparable (for big stars) team play and more ways to help her team to success than any other player in the country. Obviously, I'm saying as she was last season, still the best player in the country.
I agree, she is getting killed for her 3pt % which is actually still above Durr & Arike last I checked. She deserves to be on the Naismith top 10 list.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom