NCAA Investigating Tennessee for NIL Violations | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA Investigating Tennessee for NIL Violations

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Oh boy, we're about to get banned again

Reaction Score
I just read this in the CBSSports article about Tennessee. Over a decade later and I'm still pissed what the NCAA did to us. :mad::mad::mad: At least we had our revenge a year later.

The NCAA also has gotten away from handing out postseason bans if they impact current athletes and coaches who have nothing to do with previous cases.

Reaction Score
I guess I better keep my G5 under wraps

"According to a New York Times report Tuesday, one element of the NCAA’s investigation is a collective using a private jet to fly heralded five-star quarterback recruit Nico Iamaleava to campus during his recruitment. Having a booster group pay for the trip is a violation of NCAA rules."

https://www.si.com/college/2024/01/...igation-for-nil-violations-in-multiple-sports

Yep, but... that would be a violation of NCAA booster rules not NIL.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Now, if that name doesn't sound like someone who's gonna hit the portal as many times as possible, I don't know what does.
I actually looked up that name. And it makes no difference whatsoever what his first name is.

Reaction Score
What can possibly go wrong with NIL money? As long as the athletes are reporting it to the IRS then I’m assuming anything goes. But what happens if a car dealership just decides to lend a car to an athlete for a week for free for example, how’s that recorded. Are free items/gifts allowed by other parties?

Reaction Score
The NCAA source says” The NIL money is being used as portal bait”. Wow it took a committee of college educated investigators to come to this astonishing conclusion. Leading to a bigger question, why is the NCAA as currently constructed still the gate keeper for college sports?
So money is a motivator. who knew?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
What can possibly go wrong with NIL money? As long as the athletes are reporting it to the IRS then I’m assuming anything goes. But what happens if a car dealership just decides to lend a car to an athlete for a week for free for example, how’s that recorded. Are free items/gifts allowed by other parties?
There has to be something of value exchanged, athletes can’t just be given an item/cash for free. However, a simple post of a photo on social media of the athlete in the free car mentioning the dealership would suffice.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Yes it’s wild as in WTF. But the NCAA is the wild, wild, midwest. The barn door is open and here they go trying to get the horses back in. It’s just crazy that this is happening. I feel pretty badly for Tennessee. This is just an institution refusing to accept that their relevance will never be what it was and terrified in not knowing what their exact role will be in the business of college sports moving forward. They no longer control all the purse strings money is power etc. Super conferences, NIL and their own blatant hypocrisy, they are fading fast. And that is a good thing for college sports IMO.
Kafka like. Bring on the show trials and ghosts of Stalin and Saddam Hussein.

Reaction Score

And yet another illustration of how many sides out there who now think the NCAA is nothing more than a paper tiger with no real power to police anything. The Attorney Generals of both Tennessee and Virginia are suing the NCAA over this investigation.

I already agreed with @Waquiot that there was "Nil" of a chance of anything happening to the Vols over this... this move just confirms it, as the NCAA will cower like the empty suits that they are, you watch.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The NCAA source says” The NIL money is being used as portal bait”. Wow it took a committee of college educated investigators to come to this astonishing conclusion. Leading to a bigger question, why is the NCAA as currently constructed still the gate keeper for college sports?
My guess is Alabama ratted them out

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My guess is Alabama ratted them out
Got a kick out of this because I was thinking about writing the same thing.

The only thing this suit does is gives rich boosters ideas. I look at NIL in the same manner as alcohol and the end of Prohibition. There are going to be a lot more players (boosters) getting involved which means that those boosters willing to cheat before NIL have a lot more competition. Football will be the sport most likely to suffer from this because of the number of players necessary to support a team. I expect the days of having two to six superior teams are heading to extinction. There will be a lot of mediocre good teams. It will be interesting to see if this sport retains its viewership when the best teams in the playoffs come in with 8-4 records.

This is the golden age for any high school player with talent in a sport that is valued by boosters. For example instead of a rendezvous in the basement with Laurie Fine you can get a trip to Monaco with a bevy of beautiful women sharing your view of the Mediterranean.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score

As I said in the OP. The business of college sports. The more I think about it you can make that statement about 3 or 4 sports being played at a particular school. In the end there has to be enough money left to allow other sports to continue to exist. Look at all the great opportunities the soccer and baseball programs at UConn have created not only for those that played at the next level but all the regular student athletes who will not play professionally. The problem is complex but I am certain the NCAA is not the entity that is going to figure it out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom