OT: - NCAA Investigating a Number of Schools over NIL Violations | The Boneyard

OT: NCAA Investigating a Number of Schools over NIL Violations

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well this didn’t take very long. Today NCAA President Mark Emmert announced to reporters that the NCAA is investigating several schools over NIL violations.

The interesting element in this news is that NCAA member institutions, Congress and state governments practically begged the NCAA to provide some guidance on NIL. In the end, the NCAA basically punted it back to the states and individual schools to figure it out for themselves.

Stay tuned……

Reaction Score
Well this didn’t take very long. Today NCAA President Mark Emmert announced to reporters that the NCAA is investigating several schools over NIL violations.

The interesting element in this news is that NCAA member institutions, Congress and state governments practically begged the NCAA to provide some guidance on NIL. In the end, the NCAA basically punted it back to the states and individual schools to figure it out for themselves.

Stay tuned……
Thanks for the post
This falls under the “what else is new” umbrella

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
How can you break the rules when there aren't any? Thus far it's seemed like a free for all, any creative way you could come up with to give money to student athletes was all god.

How many times can the NCAA clearly demonstrate that it is completely broken? Looks like they're doing it again.

Reaction Score
This was only a matter of time. One thing that caught my eye was players wearing their uniform or school name in pictures for NIL deals. That was a definite “no” from the start. I won’t name names but a ND WBB player who I root for is definitely guilty.

Curious to see what kinds of punishment gets handed out for these violations.

Reaction Score
How much you want to bet that when this is over...the catalyst will have been some school performing poorly with recruiting?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have it on good authority that a talented freshman named after a former Stanford basketball star has been receiving both mild and extra spicy salsa with her tortilla chips at Chipotle’s for free.

Just sayin……

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
If these are football schools, don’t be surprised if a certain large southern conference withdraws from the NCAA.
It kinda seems like it's been coming for a while. NCAA seems like they are trying to speed the process.

Reaction Score
I have it on good authority that a talented freshman named after a former Stanford basketball star has been receiving both mild and extra spicy salsa with her tortilla chips at Chipotle’s for free.

Just sayin……
Napkins included?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If these are football schools, don’t be surprised if a certain large southern conference withdraws from the NCAA.
Don’t be surprised if the NCAA received a tip or tips about NIL violations from teams within a certain large southern conference about other teams within that same conference.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
My brother didn't believe me when I told him, just a few weeks ago, but it's just a matter of time IMHO before the big boys leave the NCAA. I would imagine the SEC will go first. Since football rules the roost, the Big10, Big12 and ACC should follow shortly after. They will set up their own mega conglomerate, or whatever, and if the Pac12 doesn't follow, or isn't invited, they will be left out.

Last time I checked, the Pac12 was actually #8 behind the independents, American, and Mountain West.

Once that happens, I imagine the NCAA will sue, congress will get involved, and laws about monopolies will be discussed and possibly the whole cadre broken up. To get around that maybe they create something LIKE The NCAA, but governed by the heads of the main conferences.

It will be a huge mess and take years to sort out. Maybe the NCAA is in a stronger position since congress has gotten involved with sports before. I really have no idea and am certainly not an expert. Just speculating and W.A.G.'s...

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Just sayin……
Azzi with mild salsa? I think you're just making stuff up now. . .

Reaction Score
My brother didn't believe me when I told him, just a few weeks ago, but it's just a matter of time IMHO before the big boys leave the NCAA. I would imagine the SEC will go first. Since football rules the roost, the Big10, Big12 and ACC should follow shortly after. They will set up their own mega conglomerate, or whatever, and if the Pac12 doesn't follow, or isn't invited, they will be left out.

Last time I checked, the Pac12 was actually #8 behind the independents, American, and Mountain West.

Once that happens, I imagine the NCAA will sue, congress will get involved, and laws about monopolies will be discussed and possibly the whole cadre broken up. To get around that maybe they create something LIKE The NCAA, but governed by the heads of the main conferences.

It will be a huge mess and take years to sort out. Maybe the NCAA is in a stronger position since congress has gotten involved with sports before. I really have no idea and am certainly not an expert. Just speculating and W.A.G.'s...
Makes sense. At this point what is the benefit to the big conferences for staying in the NCAA? I don't see how the government can force schools to be a part of the NCAA. There are schools that are not a part of it now. There are other associations to which universities belong that are invite only (e.g. AAU), so a new conglomerate of whatever schools that want to form it have precedent for not sharing.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I don't see the Big South Conference leaving

Reaction Score
I don't see the Big South Conference leaving

The ACC and SEC all formed from schools formerly a part of the Southern Conference. Perhaps they will all reform into one large conference again under the old name, and then leave the NCAA......

Reaction Score
This was only a matter of time. One thing that caught my eye was players wearing their uniform or school name in pictures for NIL deals. That was a definite “no” from the start. I won’t name names but a ND WBB player who I root for is definitely guilty.

Curious to see what kinds of punishment gets handed out for these violations.
That’s a deal with the ACC. Each conference sets it’s own rules for that. Im pretty sure the SEC is getting ready to do the same thing or something similar - kids being able to sell jerseys with their name on the back. Somebody tweeted about it to Dawn not too long ago and her answer was “stay tuned”. That generally means it’s in the works.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
The ACC and SEC all formed from schools formerly a part of the Southern Conference. Perhaps they will all reform into one large conference again under the old name, and then leave the NCAA......
We won the SoCon in MBB a number of times; maybe we can return to our glory days of the 30s.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom