NCAA Hoops - Week of 2/16-2/23 | The Boneyard

NCAA Hoops - Week of 2/16-2/23

Reaction Score
Didn't a catch a thread for this week, so I'm starting one a day early.

Anyone catch the box score for Georgetown's upset over Butler?

Both Mac McClung and Omer Yuertseven did not play, so Georgetown's starting lineup of Blair/Allen/Mosely/Pickett/Wahab played a possible 185 of 200 minutes with their three backcourt players playing all 40 minutes. And doing this will still playing Ewing's fast-paced style?

Incredible job by Ewing willing this team together, especially after losing four players mid-year. Between McClung, Yurtseven, Blair and Pickett they have a heck of a battle-tested core going into next year.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
SMU may play their way to the bubble conversation after beating Houston last night. They’ve got a big game @ Tulsa next Saturday

Speaking of the Golden Hurricane, they’re the latest to beat USF after winning in Tampa yesterday. Igbanu is a serious problem. They’ll play @ Houston on Wednesday night. Win that one and they’re back in the conversation for an at-large.

Villanova @ Temple will be fun this afternoon before UConn and Memphis.

Don’t expect much in the way of fireworks between Cincinnati and ECU or Wichita St and Tulane today

Reaction Score
Was on a road trip that took me through Tuscaloosa yesterday, led to an impromptu stop to see LSU/Alabama. On the hard court it’s usually LSU blowouts, but fans really showed out for the rivalry game (although have to say, the arena is terrible for fan noise, great crowd muffled by the design).

Nate Oats was a fantastic hire for that team. Bama will contend for the SEC title in year 2 if they can learn defense. His team has shot lights out the last 2 games (22/59 3P FG last week in 1 game alone). They were up 18 early in the second but got rattled when their leading scorer got his 4th. LSU closed it to 1, but bama hung tough and made clutch possessions under 2 min. Top 2 scorers are underclassmen, put up 27/26. Also one dude was playing one handed, with a cast on a broken wrist,still grabbed 17 boards.

Reaction Score
Was on a road trip that took me through Tuscaloosa yesterday, led to an impromptu stop to see LSU/Alabama. On the hard court it’s usually LSU blowouts, but fans really showed out for the rivalry game (although have to say, the arena is terrible for fan noise, great crowd muffled by the design).

Nate Oats was a fantastic hire for that team. Bama will contend for the SEC title in year 2 if they can learn defense. His team has shot lights out the last 2 games (22/59 3P FG last week in 1 game alone). They were up 18 early in the second but got rattled when their leading scorer got his 4th. LSU closed it to 1, but bama hung tough and made clutch possessions under 2 min. Top 2 scorers are underclassmen, put up 27/26. Also one dude was playing one handed, with a cast on a broken wrist,still grabbed 17 boards.
Our big guys couldn't get 17 rebounds if they had 3 hands.

Reaction Score
Our big guys couldn't get 17 rebounds if they had 3 hands.
Did I mention he’s only 6’7 / 205...against an LSU team that has great size and usually dominates the paint. Just always in the right place/right time.

Drew

Reaction Score
ECU is currently beating Cincinnati by 8 with 12 minutes to go on CBSSN

Reaction Score
What is happening at 'Nova? Down at half right now to Temple...

Drew

Reaction Score
To OT we go in Greenville. 61-61 on CBSSN

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Anyone who thought that Ewing could not rise to the occasion as a decent head coach needs to closely look at the job he has done this season with what he had on day one to where he stands today. Unreal.

Reaction Score
Ewing does need to get a pat on the back this year for sure.

The St. John's v Xavier game was great just now.
I watched the last 10 minutes. Dunn has been a surprise for St. John's and has done a nice job embracing the lead guard role.

I never like when good players get hurt, but Mustapha Heron's injury has benefitted St. John's in the long-term as it has allowed Marcellus Earlington to step up into a starring role. I loved his sweet no-look reverse layoff late in the 2nd half. Earlington has averaged 18 points and 10 boards (at only 22 minutes per game!) in his last three games.

Everytime I watch Zach Freemantle, I see a kid who's going to be a pain in our side for three seasons. He's a do-everything big man which a nice chip on his shoulder. When he made the game-winning shot, it was cool to see Tyrique Jones get super pumped up in Freemantle's face.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Anyone else just watch that finish to UCF/Cincy in 2OT. UCF up 3 decides to foul with 6 seconds left. Cincy makes the pair and both teams out of timeouts, UCF gets called for 5 seconds (quickish count IMO). Cumberland tried to get fouled and missed bank shot in the lane and UCF rebound with 1.2 secs left. UCF misses first ft but makes the 2nd which he should’ve tried to miss. Cincy inbounds to Cumberland at almost midcourt puts up the prayer which goes in but is no good as it clearly went out of his hands at 1.3 secs when only 1.2 secs were left. Big road win for UCF, I have not watched them at all this year. All I know is that they are down and in a rebuild but have a similar record.

Reaction Score
Anyone else just watch that finish to UCF/Cincy in 2OT. UCF up 3 decides to foul with 6 seconds left. Cincy makes the pair and both teams out of timeouts, UCF gets called for 5 seconds (quickish count IMO). Cumberland tried to get fouled and missed bank shot in the lane and UCF rebound with 1.2 secs left. UCF misses first ft but makes the 2nd which he should’ve tried to miss. Cincy inbounds to Cumberland at almost midcourt puts up the prayer which goes in but is no good as it clearly went out of his hands at 1.3 secs when only 1.2 secs were left. Big road win for UCF, I have not watched them at all this year. All I know is that they are down and in a rebuild but have a similar record.
One bid AAC intensifies

Reaction Score

Yeah that was something else. You should see their fans complaining about how Jalen was able to get a shot off in .7 and it counts and cumberland can't do the same with 1.whatever. wah wah wah.

Reaction Score
Louisville 90
cuse 66

They are still talking about being on the bubble

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
NC State is currently up a dozen on Duke.
Providence is up 9 on Gtown,. Mclung
is hurt and out of the game.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I can't believe that Cinci has played 4 OT games in a row and have not fared very well in them. They look on paper to be a decent team but J Cumberland is not the J Cumberland of the past 2 seasons. While his cousin is a really good shooter, J Cumberland misses the really strong PG he has enjoyed in the past.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
2 of the Top 4 have lost today, and Gonzaga is in big trouble in Provo.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Kansas should be #1 on Monday. Can’t imagine it would SDSU.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom