NCAA exploring Big 5 conference autonomy | Page 7 | The Boneyard

NCAA exploring Big 5 conference autonomy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, its opening the Pandora's box for many reasons. Classification of stipends and student/employee status is just another area that will be very gray. Like Upstater said, stipends are not treated universally in each state or university and sometimes vary even within a University depending on the type of stipend. Status of funding during summer semester is also treated different for some people. Speaking for Pitt, some fellowships and stipends are taxable at local/state/federal and for SS/Med/UC, while others are only taxable for federal returns. The best thing to do is take everything to the tax man and let them figure it out. As a general rule that I have seen with students at Pitt, most post doc fellowships and TA stipends are considered income and taxable by all authorities and SS/Med/UC is taken out each month. Most education/research stipends and NSF scholarship/stipends are considered scholarship/stipend and taxable only by federal taxes and no SS/Med/UC is taken out. I have spoken directly with State and Local tax authorities and they have said this to be true. Pitt also defines grad students as both students and employees, and interchanges your status depending on the situation. Again, leading to confusing when preparing taxes or other forms that require employment status.

Like you touched on: Are athletes going to be considered students or employees? Is the stipend considered a scholarship, a stipend, a grant, income, etc? Sounds like it could be messy, and tax considerations are not something the schools can simply solve themselves. It would require states and federal government support. Good luck with that.

I

All your examples show that the stipend is treated as income by taxing authorities. That's my feeling as well. When the state reports the number of new hires at the local university, athletes will now be added to the role of new hires.

I get a kick out of articles every year that list 25% new hires at the local university. That % is largely a result of older students coming off the rolls and newer students starting with new stipends. Now with athletes, you're going to see these articles: "Your local university just made 3,500 new hires in August."

Reaction Score
Someone made the analogy of comparing the p5 autonomy issue as similar to the big state small state issue at the first Constitutional convention.
Ironically it was settled by the Connecticut compromise with a bicameral legislative branch based on Connecticuts'.
Since Connecticut is in a similar position now maybe Warde can come up with a Connecticut compromise II.
Maybe utilizing the Professional Soccer model of relegation and promotion.
From p5 to G5 and back loosely based geography.
That rewards performance and punishes non performance .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr
Top Bottom