NCAA experiementing with moving 3 point line | The Boneyard

NCAA experiementing with moving 3 point line

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
solution.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
NCAA experimenting with moving 3 point line

Wow a moving three point line would be tricky. They probably use lasers to project it on the court. I wonder if it will move consistently or randomly.

Reaction Score
Also notable:

Shot clock reset
The committee recommended resetting the shot clock to 20 seconds after a field-goal attempt hits the rim and the offensive team rebounds the ball in the front court.
Also, committee members proposed that when the shot clock is below 20 seconds, it will reset to 20 seconds when a single personal foul is called or a violation ... occurs. When the shot clock is at 20 seconds or above, it will not be reset in these situations.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Also notable:

Shot clock reset
The committee recommended resetting the shot clock to 20 seconds after a field-goal attempt hits the rim and the offensive team rebounds the ball in the front court.
Also, committee members proposed that when the shot clock is below 20 seconds, it will reset to 20 seconds when a single personal foul is called or a violation ... occurs. When the shot clock is at 20 seconds or above, it will not be reset in these situations.

I like this proposal. FIBA, the WNBA and the NBA reset to 14 seconds. I'm okay with 20 seconds.

I'm not sure about moving the 3-point line. Teams last season made 31.6% of three-pointers. Are they looking to make that % lower?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Men's basketball is also considering extending the 3-point line. I found this rationale in the article on the men's proposed rule changes:

The committee cited the following rationale for extending the line:
  • Making the lane more available for dribble/drive plays from the perimeter.
  • Slowing the trend of the 3-point shot becoming too prevalent in men’s college basketball by making the shot a bit more challenging, while at the same time keeping the shot an integral part of the game.
  • Assisting in offensive spacing by requiring the defense to cover more of the court.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It seems Div 1 men took about 3 more three-pointers per game compared to the women and made a higher % (35.2 vs 31.6).

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Extend the distance from the three point line to the basket, some of the time.

This proposal brought to you by the Association of Basketball Court
Paint Manufacturers and Applicators, Llc. Terms and Conditions Apply.
This proposal is not an offer to sell any securities.
See your professional financial
advisor before making investment decisions.
If your stiff neck lasts more than four hours, contact a pjysician.
You may have a blue pill stuck in your throat.

Reaction Score
I support moving toward one set of rules, since it’s the same set of players playing globally. Just move the 3-point line out, use the same shot clock and rebound reset clock, paint width, restricted area arc, etc. Just do it.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Apparently the underlying thought behind this change (not specifically for WCBB) was that the 2-point jump shot was in danger of disappearing from the game. The quants of the game have discovered that the shooting percentage on mid-range 2's is not much higher than for 3's, so on a probabilistic basis, it doesn't make sense to take 2-point shots other than dunks and layups.

If moving back the 3-point line is necessary to keep mid-range shots in the game, then I think it is a good and necessary move.

Reaction Score
I don't think it would enhance the game, it would make it less enjoyable to have fewer 3's.

Yep, I don't get it. 3-point percentage isn't that high anyway. So what's behind it? And most importantly, what does Coach Geno think about it? UConn's strategy, as he's enunciated, is that they take a third of their shots in close, a third from mid-range, and a third from 3. I'm guessing that his strategy would need serious revision if the line were moved back nearly 2 feet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom