NCAA/CT priorities regarding scalping | The Boneyard

NCAA/CT priorities regarding scalping

Status
Not open for further replies.

sTu

Reaction Score
It has always annoyed me that with the myriad of laws the NCAA devotes their time to creating out of some hard to understand for me morality that they allow scalping within ten feet of Gampel . Bless the almighty dollar.

I have not cared about this activity at the XL Center until recently. The police will allow scalpers to work their trade even inside the XL Center and at the door. Heck the scalpers almost hold the door open for you. Two of the last three times at the XL Center (I am at almost all games) I have witnessed three Hartford policeman in a borderline nasty manner towards an homeless" type playing an harmonica asking him to move thirty to forty feet from the doors of the XL Center. They forced this person to move further away in a demeaning manner. Being pessimistic and some of that attitude from personal experience I wonder why the scalpers are allowed and tolerated and the music maker is not given the same freedom?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
The Hartford police, rather than scalp, prefer to "count coup" on the homeless musicians.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I wonder why the scalpers are allowed and tolerated and the music maker is not given the same freedom?

Rules differ city by state by district. Naught to do with the NCAA, I believe.

sTu

Reaction Score
At the XL center my only question is about the actions of the Hartford Police and their blatantly different behavior of panhandling vs. scalping. I do not think selling tickets above a couple of dollars over face value is legal?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
scalpers are related to the event... a panhandler isnt, as innocent as that guy is

sTu

Reaction Score
Scalpers are related to the event? What does that mean? Are you saying the event circumvents the law?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
scalping is legal... and I guess the city doesnt want some homeless "looking" guys blocking the entrance to a big money event so they ask the guy to move down a lil bit.

sTu

Reaction Score
According to this short quote from a May 2o12 article scalping is NOT legal, but there is obviously a lot going on at many levels (my belief would be large amounts of money involved) that present practices are unlikely to change. It is what it is. Maybe if the harmonica player shared in this case his profits. :)

"Why is it OK for a vendor like Ticketworld to buy a block and essentially scalp them," says Nancy, "when I would be arrested for scalping? I cannot believe the difference in our ticket prices."
Consumers have been asking that question for years. As far back as 1998, Richard Blumenthal, then the state's attorney general, tried to use Connecticut's $3 scalping limit to prevent a ticket reseller located in Massachusetts — coincidentally, Ticketworld — from charging $125 for tickets to a New Haven event that originally sold for $32.50. It reached the state Supreme Court, which overturned a Superior Court decision and allowed Ticketworld to continue charging huge premiums for tickets

Reaction Score
Scalping IS legal now in CT. Jodi Rell signed the bill: LINK

As for the harmonica payer, I've never seen the police move him, and he's often outside after the game. (His musical skills are dubious, at best, but he's a friendly guy.) In the past ten years, in fact, except for one nasty cop two years ago, I have found the Hartford police to be very tolerant of all that goes along with all the people before and after game at the XL Center. They have been professional, cheerful, and very accommodating.

Just my experience. . .

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
How can any court in the land hear a case vs. a street scalper and ignore the presumably legal (and highly profitable) scalping of tickets by the likes of StubHub?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
managing patrons going to a UConn women's game is a piece of cake for the Hartford Police. btw if scalping was illegal there's no way they'd be doing it at the gates of the XL Center in front of the police.

Reaction Score
I also failed to say that some of the best UConn tickets I've gotten were from scalpers.

(There was also a time in Baltimore where I was not so lucky with scalped baseball tickets, but the when ticket-taker at Camden Yards looked at my tickets, she asked why I'd bought them, then took me directly to the office, where they traded-- for free-- my crappy, tourist-rip-off tickets for two in center field.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom