NCAA creates Commission on College Basketball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA creates Commission on College Basketball

Reaction Score
Statement From President Mark Emmert on the Formation of a Commission on College Basketball

Committee roster chaired by Condoleezza Rice

Chair - Dr. Condoleezza Rice, Former Provost, Stanford University, 66th U.S. Secretary of State
Mary Sue Coleman, President, Association of American Universities
General Martin E. Dempsey, U.S. Army, Retired, Chairman USA Basketball
Mark Emmert, President National Collegiate Athletic Association
Jeremy Foley, Athletics Director Emeritus University of Florida Athletic Association
Jefferey A. Hathaway, Vice President/Director of Athletics, Hofstra University
Grant Hill, Owner/Vice Chairman Atlanta Hawks
Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C., President University of Notre Dame
Mike Montgomery, Retired Basketball Coach, Analyst, Pac-12 Networks & Westwood One Sports
G.P. “Bud” Peterson (ex officio) President Georgia Institute of Technology
David Robinson, Founder Admiral Capital Group
Kathryn Ruemmler, Former White House Counsel, Partner, Latham & Watkins LLP
Gene Smith, Sr. Vice President & Wolfe Foundation Endowed Athletics Director, Ohio State University
John Thompson III, Former Head Basketball Coach, Georgetown University
j
What a joke that committee will be. Either Condoleeza Rice doesn't know or care that a major part of the problem is Emmert and the NCAA. You can tell that Emmert had a huge say on who would become a member of the panel - Hathaway? Give a break. I'm totally disgusted. Congress should investigate the NCAA and college basketball. It's not like congress ever gets anything accomplished. They have the time to take this on.
If I were Herbst I would be lawyering up
That a Kanaroo court

Reaction Score
I trust Rice.
I'll think about trusting her if she does the right thing and kicks Emmert and Hathaway off the commission before it ever begins. I question her judgement. Why on earth would she ever agree to be on a commission with those damn clowns?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
To paraphrase AI, "commission, we in here talkin' about commission, commission, I mean listen we talkin' about commission". When you're in trouble form a commission. Useless.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
She's worked with you before? Why bring politics into this?
It was a joke that you made political. Although all jokes have an underlying basis of truth, supposedly (supposedly applied with intent of equivocation).:cool:

Reaction Score
*Takes two weeks to form a committee and release a statement.*

This actually sounds very promising, though. Could be the impetus to switch away from current eligibility/amateur rules towards a different system.

I guess I'm still skeptical, though.

It sounds to me like schools will be penalized for one and dones (withholding scholarship for a year). If you have one and done, you can't offer another player the scholarship until a year or 2 go by.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
This list of names reads like a whose who of individuals who look like they have no knowledge or ability to fix anything or make any reasonable change. Good PR move Emmert.

Reaction Score
For this to be legit they started right with someone from the outside. But then to staff it with a bunch of folks living on the teet of the athletes (and probably paying them for their study) = 1 year process and recommendations to do a bunch of minor stuff while keeping the milk flowing.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
False. You intentionally made it political. It's obvious where you were going with it. You're a tool.
Are you confusing me with the person who you were originally taking to task? I want you to know I am neither @David 76 or @freescooter. I am fleudsipcon aka fleudy.

My statement was meant to provide some levity to the situation. I agree with you politics belongs in the cesspool. Apparently from your above statement juvenile behavior is a different matter.

I hope calling me a tool made you feel better. I will pretend it hurt me deeply so that you can continue to feel good. :cool:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
This list of names reads like a whose who of individuals who look like they have no knowledge or ability to fix anything or make any reasonable change. Good PR move Emmert.
The APR was a PR move and a means to settle a personal score with UConn.

The NCAA has to do something but there is a decent chance more and more people will recognize that they lack the power to do something meaningful, or worse, as some of us conjecture, have individuals who are complicit.

Reaction Score
Are you confusing me with the person who you were originally taking to task? I want you to know I am neither @David 76 or @freescooter. I am fleudsipcon aka fleudy.

My statement was meant to provide some levity to the situation. I agree with you politics belongs in the cesspool. Apparently from your above statement juvenile behavior is a different matter.

I hope calling me a tool made you feel better. I will pretend it hurt me deeply so that you can continue to feel good. :cool:
Ok, fair enough. I overreacted. Sorry about that. It just seems politics are shoved in our face 24/7.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Ok, fair enough. I overreacted. Sorry about that. It just seems politics are shoved in our face 24/7.
The Boneyard is for over reactions. No need to apologize.

Just think of this place as an incubator for toughness. JC was in players faces 24/7. It was tough love. Not every player could handle it. We've witnessed the results of those who did.

The Boneyard is a gym for fan toughness. Sooner or later only the tough remain.

I'm curious. Did you think I was the original poster or was there something in my tongue in cheek post you thought was political?

Reaction Score
The Boneyard is for over reactions. No need to apologize.

Just think of this place as an incubator for toughness. JC was in players faces 24/7. It was tough love. Not every player could handle it. We've witnessed the results of those who did.

The Boneyard is a gym for fan toughness. Sooner or later only the tough remain.

I'm curious. Did you think I was the original poster or was there something in my tongue in cheek post you thought was political?
Actually, I just assumed that you were the original poster. But I was replying the part of your post when you said that I was he one who made it political. I was surprised when I realized that you weren't the original poster, though. It's been a long week.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Actually, I just assumed that you were the original poster. But I was replying the part of your post when you said that I was he one who made it political. I was surprised when I realized that you weren't the original poster, though. It's been a long week.
Hopefully the week get's better.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I thought it was funny enough and obscure enough that I risked it. But it was all based on an across the aisle compliment. I long for the day you can make that kind of joke and not offend.
It used to happen all the time. People as apolitical as Johnny Carson and Bob hope did it and no one flew off the handle. But the waters have been poisoned and I apologize.

Flurry, remind me to avoid you when the bus approaches

C

Chief00

The classic bureaucratic move by Emmert. Since you appointed the commission members they won’t criticize you.

When we also discuss sneaker and apparel companies involvement in these scandals just pull out a list of major NCAA advertisers. They are covered.

Then there is Jeff Hathaway. Jeff and Mark are peas in the pod. It was Jeff’s not Jim’s responsibity to have the academic support system up to speed. He back stabbed Jim in his testimony and Emmert is now returning the favor.

Since Condi wants to be the next NFL Commissioner maybe she will break protocol and view this as more than an honorary post?

Reaction Score
I think a Commission should be formed to investigate all the commissions and task forces. I think Flavor Flav should head it. It should be called Task Force Tick Tock, as in this big clock be ticking down for you. Accepting nominations for the remaining members to round out this fine Super Commission.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom