NCAA considers changes to NIL and the portal. | The Boneyard

NCAA considers changes to NIL and the portal.

Reaction Score
Heard this on TV so it may not be completely correct.

1. Move portal out December and past the end of the season. Coaches are busy enough while their teams are playing.

2. Once a player accepts NIL money he must play that season for his school. If he chooses to stop playing, the school stops paying. Not sure if they can get back a portion of the NIL.

I looked but couldn't find an article. But these both make sense. If anyone can find something a little more official, please post.

Reaction Score
Issue with the portal is that there must be enough time for the player to enroll in their new school. Since most colleges start in the second week of January, it means it has to start before the end of the season.

Reaction Score
1 - makes perfect sense.

2 - the school doesn't pay the NIL directly - so not really enforceable. BUT, if I were a collective I would pay it out like a salary. Go into the portal - money stops coming. For the high end guys - they will get guarantees, but would stop some of the low end movement in season.

Reaction Score
Issue with the portal is that there must be enough time for the player to enroll in their new school. Since most colleges start in the second week of January, it means it has to start before the end of the season.
If a hs kid can commit in mid- to late December and enroll in January, so can a transfer.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I like the idea of pushing the portal date back but I don't think it will make a difference. We had kids declaring for the portal in September or October. There's nothing to stop a kid in an FSU like situation to declare their intent for the portal in late November even if the portal doesn't open until early January.

Reaction Score
If a hs kid can commit in mid- to late December and enroll in January, so can a transfer.
I read the initial post as moving it out of December and past the cfb championship game, which would be in mid January.

Reaction Score
No. It just means transferees couldn't work out with their new schools for spring practice, but would have to wait for summer to join up. I don't see any harm in making transferring less beneficial while still allowing it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is all nibling around the edges. This may cut back on some of the transfers, but the most talented kids are still going to be drawn away by the money either from other college programs that offer them more dollars or the NFL through the draft. Those kids are not going to risk injury late in the season (bowls or otherwise) if they have relative assurance of money in their future.

College football is trying to be a little pregnant. It's now full fledged professional athletics with practically unrestricted free agency. Build a business model around that reality. Have the 40-50 programs who will be able to afford playing in that realm and break them away from the remaining programs where kids will play for a scholarship and get paid for living expenses.

Reaction Score
No. I it just means transferees couldn't work out with their new schools for spring practice, but would have to wait for summer to join up. I don't see any harm in making transferring less beneficial while still allowing it.
It is a minor inconvenience but should absolutely be put in place. I doubt there is anything they can do about NIL but I hope they have a go of it.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
No. It just means transferees couldn't work out with their new schools for spring practice, but would have to wait for summer to join up. I don't see any harm in making transferring less beneficial while still allowing it.
I agree with this. In theory, this might make kids put a little more thought into where they go in the first place. However, players would still be able to say "I intend to enter the portal" just have to wait a bit longer to do so.

Reaction Score
If schools honored the scholarship through the summer, then sure it's not an issue. But that's not what would happen.

Also would probably be litigated down as discrimination or something. Can't allow regular students to transfer at any time and not allow college athletes the same recourse.

Reaction Score
There are two problems as I see it:

1) Players opting into the portal after 4 games.
2) Bowl game participation.

There is so much money floating around CFB and I'm all for the players getting theirs. Just need some guardrails. This was always going to be messy - just have to continue to tweak it. Will never be perfect.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This is all being done to protect the bowls. I have a feeling after two seasons of the new playoff, the bowls will become obsolete and it won't matter when the portal is. No one will care about the bowl games and will care about the playoffs. The players of those 12 teams will stay to play those games and then move on. I don't see how the bowls survive unless teams actually break away. However, at that point, why have bowl games?? The FCS doesn't have bowl games for consolation prizes for going 6-6.

Reaction Score
This is all nibling around the edges. This may cut back on some of the transfers, but the most talented kids are still going to be drawn away by the money either from other college programs that offer them more dollars or the NFL through the draft. Those kids are not going to risk injury late in the season (bowls or otherwise) if they have relative assurance of money in their future.

College football is trying to be a little pregnant. It's now full fledged professional athletics with practically unrestricted free agency. Build a business model around that reality. Have the 40-50 programs who will be able to afford playing in that realm and break them away from the remaining programs where kids will play for a scholarship and get paid for living expenses.
This sounds like ESPN Strategery to salvage what little remaining value the non-Natty bowl games retain.

Reaction Score
If schools honored the scholarship through the summer, then sure it's not an issue. But that's not what would happen.

Also would probably be litigated down as discrimination or something. Can't allow regular students to transfer at any time and not allow college athletes the same recourse.
Since this is based on a benefit not available to regular students (athletic scholarship and NIL funding) I don't see why the discrimination argument is an issue. If they want to transfer without those special benefits then they can do so any time, just like a regular student.

Reaction Score
Since this is based on a benefit not available to regular students (athletic scholarship and NIL funding) I don't see why the discrimination argument is an issue. If they want to transfer without those special benefits then they can do so any time, just like a regular student.
Regular students have had NIL since social media became a thing. Theres a reason the NCAA had to back down on limits on transfers.

Reaction Score
This sounds like ESPN Strategery to salvage what little remaining value the non-Natty bowl games retain.

After watching the Orange Bowl do you think the bowls outside the playoffs have any future?

Reaction Score
Regular students have had NIL since social media became a thing. Theres a reason the NCAA had to back down on limits on transfers.
To the extent the social media revenues are derived purely from tools available to everyone you are right. However, for most athletes the primary revenue source is from NIL collectives that only fund athletes. The Alabama QB with over $1M NIL income is not being funded from social media revenue sources open to all. The Utah football players that all (the entire scholarship roster at least) received free pickups were not getting something available to all. For those that are able to develop their own purely independent following (e.g. Paige Bueckers) they would only be limited on the portion of their income that is from sources that only fund athletes.

Reaction Score
Nothing outside of the playoffs matter anymore. Just wait until they up March Madness. So sad.

Reaction Score
Heard this on TV so it may not be completely correct.

1. Move portal out December and past the end of the season. Coaches are busy enough while their teams are playing.

2. Once a player accepts NIL money he must play that season for his school. If he chooses to stop playing, the school stops paying. Not sure if they can get back a portion of the NIL.

I looked but couldn't find an article. But these both make sense. If anyone can find something a little more official, please post.
Quick, name all the schools that pay NIL!

----

PENCILS DOWN!!!

Right, once again, the answer is zero schools pay NIL.

Reaction Score
Quick, name all the schools that pay NIL!

----

PENCILS DOWN!!!

Right, once again, the answer is zero schools pay NIL.

The schools don't pay NIL. The donors who pay NIL are in league with the schools. Do you think Alabama donors are paying for kids to go to Georgia?

Reaction Score
Do you think Alabama donors are paying for kids to go to Georgia?
No but they should be paying for a new OC. Tommy Rees blew a tire Monday night and cost them the game. His utter failure to adjust in the first half was malpractice. And the last play, please.
As for Bowl games, as long as fans want to watch, and bettors have action--and sponsors want to get their name out there, there will be ancillary bowl games. Incentivize participation and things can flow right along.

Reaction Score
The schools don't pay NIL. The donors who pay NIL are in league with the schools. Do you think Alabama donors are paying for kids to go to Georgia?
So youre saying Nike can't sign a player without declaring a school?

First rule of holes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom