NCAA Considering Major Change To Transfer Rules | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA Considering Major Change To Transfer Rules

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Talk about opening a can of worms. Sure would provide us with a lot to talk about. And the effect on men's basketball and football would be unimaginable. I can just see the line of boosters with suitcases of cash lining up outside locker rooms.

Alydar, such shocking cynicism... :rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Phil I don't see this scenario happening because the talent levels are so drastically different between (P5 +UCONN) and other conferences. Even 2 years at a very good mid major would not prepare a player to make an impact at a P5 school.

I dunno about that. The JUCO's have produced players that really help P5 teams.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I dunno about that. The JUCO's have produced players that really help P5 teams.
I can't think a JUCO college player besides Danielle Adams of TA&M that made an impact on a NCAA WCBB championship team.
Olivia Gaines was JUCO POY and a role player at SC.
Adut Bulgak was JUCO POY and a very good player at FSU.
Evelyn Akhator was also JUCO POY and a good player for Kentucky.
In all cases you are talking about the JUCO's best player and not much of an impact. Did they help the P5 teams? Absolutely, just not to the extent of being a "farm system" for P5 as was being suggested.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I can't think a JUCO college player besides Danielle Adams of TA&M that made an impact on a NCAA WCBB championship team.
In all cases you are talking about the JUCO's best player and not much of an impact. Did they help the P5 teams? Absolutely, just not to the extent of being a "farm system" for P5 as was being suggested.

Shannon Bobbitt was the differnce between TN winning the NC in 2008 and not winning. Can't get much more of an impact that that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Shannon Bobbitt was the differnce between TN winning the NC in 2008 and not winning. Can't get much more of an impact that that.
??? Candace Parker the MOP didn't have anything to do with that? How about that Nicky Anosike?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I'm a little hazy, but didn't Shannon Bobbitt, a JUCO guard, make a major contribution at Tennessee a while back? Farm system? Good grief no. I'm waiting for someone to sue and force the 1 and done on the woman's side of college ball.

Reaction Score
If the NCAA changes the transfer rule to immediate playing it takes the emphasis off the initial choice of college, the "finding a school that fits my academic, social and athletic requirements!" If you screw up your first choice, don't worry transfer to another school it's no big deal! I think it's important that an student/athlete take the time to research & visit colleges and eliminate others to see which SHOE has the better fit! If it changes, players don't care if they make a mistake there's a way out of the problem they created, just leave!
Others have made mute the recruiting coach decides college B is better than college A and leaves their team & recruits high & dry! There is a bond built between the athlete and the coach built up through recruiting then the fickle coach decides to bolt! A new coach comes in and doesn't think player xyz is worth the scholarship and treats xyz differently than the previous coach.

Reaction Score
So with the new rule of not having to sit out, it is feasible that a player can start the season with one team, transfer after the first semester, and then play for another team during the second semester?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think you missed the point.
:D This is probably not the first, or last time that will happen.
Please try again. Thanks.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thoughtful article from Mark Lewis at Bluestar on the transfer debate..interesting thoughts:

Transfers - The Sanity Of Sitting Out - Bluestar Media
I have corresponded with Mark over the years and found his advice about recruiting to be very sensible and invaluable.
With this particular article Mark appears to be addressing college athletics in general and not Women's basketball specifically. The differences in women's and men's collegiate athletics are so vast that one solution (as Mark is proposing) does not fit all. The specific differences are revenue generating sports (women have none), the value of professional contracts (women lag significantly behind) , & rules for entry into professional leagues (women are disadvantaged). Men can enter the NBA 1 year after graduating HS, women cannot enter the WNBA until in most cases 4 years after HS. The NCAA proposed a greater level of "autonomy" for P5 football teams. When that autonomy gets fully implemented good luck getting funding for many women's NCAA teams. A high school baseball player can be drafted by a MLB team and still make the choice to attend college. Despite all these disadvantages women are graduating at a higher rate and transferring at a lower rate than men. A one size solution (everyone sits out a year) unfairly compounds the existing disadvantages for women at a time when women are meeting the primary objective of attending college and actually graduating.
Mark also presents another false strawman in the article-that scholarship should be more like employment contracts, with incentives like a players shooting percentage built in. Geno had a similar opinion a few years back regarding paying the players saying I'm paraphrasing: "Does that mean we get to take scholarship away when they start playing bad? The reason this is false is because a scholarship (per the NCAA) cannot be based on incentives.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Wasn't it "no waiting" that allowed PHS to assemble her first winning squads?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Good point about limiting the number of transfers to a team. I would strongly support this say set the limit at 1 or 2 transfer in per year/team. I would also support a sliding GPA scale for eligibility to both play and practice
3.0 GPA or higher immediately eligible to play and practice.
2.5-3.0 GPA eligible to practice immediately & play after 1 semester.
>2.5 Eligible to practice after 1 semester eligible to play after 2 full semesters.
This would completely end the NCAA farce of year of academic preparation where a student is doing everything a team does except playing in games.
I don't often reply to my own post but in this case someone else might have read it and hopefully will implement my suggestions.
"Students with better grades could face fewer restrictions if they want to transfer, and schools may end up with less control over where athletes go."
NCAA reforming transfer rules by tying them to academics

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
It would be cool if they lost a year, freshman transfer after 1st year... only gets to play right away but only for 2 more! Of course this wouldnt work on the Men's side cause they leave early anyways

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So with the new rule of not having to sit out, it is feasible that a player can start the season with one team, transfer after the first semester, and then play for another team during the second semester?

Shades of DD squared. Pretty obvious Brenda's point guard would have done that.

Reaction Score
If the NCAA changes the transfer rule to immediate playing it takes the emphasis off the initial choice of college, the "finding a school that fits my academic, social and athletic requirements!" ...

To a certain degree I have no problem with giving players a do-over. High schoolers for the most part are too inexperienced to sort through all the factors in choosing a school. A lot of what they get is propaganda. Most college coaches are trying to sell their program. Players can easily be swayed by high school & AAU coaches, many of whom that try and steer players toward certain schools and away from others. And while many parents are well prepared to help their child make a rational decision due to their being involved in the sport, others have no experience in the process and with nowhere to turn to for totally unbiased guidance are left trying to decide who to believe based on little more than a gut feeling. Under those circumstances I don't think it is too much to allow them a second chance.

On the other hand college coaches would be faced with the problem of having player(s) leave after recruiting for the next season was virtually finished. I wouldn't want to be a coach who, after signing 2 players for my next year's team and thinking I have 12 players to find out in December that 3 players were leaving.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I have corresponded with Mark over the years and found his advice about recruiting to be very sensible and invaluable.

Mark also presents another false strawman in the article-that scholarship should be more like employment contracts, with incentives like a players shooting percentage built in. Geno had a similar opinion a few years back regarding paying the players saying I'm paraphrasing: "Does that mean we get to take scholarship away when they start playing bad? The reason this is false is because a scholarship (per the NCAA) cannot be based on incentives.
Actually, Mark was denoting the many reasons why an athlete should not have an "employee" status, unless I completely misunderstood him. Being an employee would lead to tax implications and the possibility of incentive clauses. There obviously is an alternative model (at least for football) of simply creating a semi-pro football team to represent the school, but obviously then they wouldn't be students.

As you point out, there are tremendous differences between sports, and a one size fits all solution is difficult to imagine. That said, and in agreement to our MBB coach out here, Sean Miller, the easier the transfer process is, the more difficult it will be to recruit a "team", maintain a "team" and build a program. And as someone noted above, there is always the coach that doesn't think recruiting of a player that went elsewhere isn't over until their eligibility is. Rutgers experienced at least one and possibly 2 transfers that "smelled" of meddling, and I know absolutely - at least per the athlete - of an attempt by another school to get them post LOI.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom