NCAA.com - Best college PGs in the last 30 years | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA.com - Best college PGs in the last 30 years

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I clicked the link and my first thought was that the list was too short. You could argue Bazz for Jimmer or Jameer Nelson. The young man that wrote the article went to HS with my sons(I'm getting all Chief-y now) and I'll give him an earful about the Bazz omission.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Bazz suffers from "just saw that" syndrome in this case... I think a lot of you and clearly some national people are underrating his run compared to Kemba.

If I HAD to choose, I'd probably pick Kemba, but there are tons of objective reasons why you could argue Bazz was just as or more impressive.

I'll never forget either run; they were special as hell. Kemba's took on immortal status almost immediately, and that's tough to surpass no matter how good.

Make no mistake though, Bazz carried that team in many of the same ways, and if you separate the external factors and look objectively, it should be right there as an all time great run by a single player.
Yep. It's really a 1 and 1A kind of a thing. Bazz had an amazing run. Side by side against Kemba's, you probably give Kemba the nod, but as a stand alone what Bazz did was spectacular.

Kemba profits by a late season swoon for the team, followed by 11 in row. Without the swoon the 11 in row definitionally can't happen. Still the Kemba run is among my favorite memories as a Husky fan, as is Bazz's 'hungry Husky run.

A single such run would be astounding. Two? Amazing. Two within four years? Legendary!

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Agreed that Kemba was better than Bazz.
Disagree about the cast members. Kemba's were way more talented, Oriakhi, Roscoe, Jeremy Lamb.
Compared to Deandre, Phil Nolan, Boatright. I mean, there is quite a difference there.

Not to mention freshman Bazz.

The guy was an all-heart stud from the moment he stepped on the court. You could tell he was special.

And as for @champs99and04 regarding his run vs Kemba, I'm actually disagreeing with that to a degree, though my overall point may seem contradictory ... But watch the highlights and look at the numbers during Kemba's '11 run ... He was insane.

Bazz was and is a totally different player, so his "taking over" looks different than Kemba. It may make his games seem less than Kemba, because he was more patient, calm, "I got this." Kemba was an unstoppable force of nature.

Reaction Score
Kemba was critical to that 11 team. Shabazz was just as critical. For every big shot Kemba hit, Shabazz hit one as well.
And, no disrespect at all to Kemba, the teams that Shabazz beat on the way to the NC were flat out better. Oh, and Shabazz has two, LOL.

Yes, they should both have been included. However, the teams that Shabazz beat in the Final Four were better. The overall march that the 2011 team had was more difficult. Arizona was better than anyone that either team faced outside of 2014 Kentucky.

Reaction Score
The overall march that the 2011 team had was more difficult.
UConn 2011 from MakersMuppet's Post to Butler contends for the greatest run in the history of sports, as far as I can see, when you consider 5 in 5 days against, what, 4 ranked opponents? I put it right up there with DiMaggio, Gehrig, Favre, Orioles shortstop, Hershiser streak, and when our 13-15 year old Danbury rec league "Red" team beat Choppy Pippa's "Gold" team in the finals after finishing in last place in an eight team league and then running three games in a row in the playoffs against impossible odds to win by double digits, with Sean Council leading the way.

Reaction Score
No, you attribute it to one guy shooting more, particularly when he shoots the 3 at a lower percentage!
Bazz didn't need to shoot more. He shot when he needed to, and his selection was phenomenal. That's one of the reasons he was so great.
But you're basing a lot of your opinion on talent, which is not the question. It's not just semantics. "Talent" and "Great" are not directly connected, but rather connected by "Will," Else Ryan Leaf is one the greatest QBs to ever play.
It's revisionist.
Curry lost to College of Charleston in the semi-finals (not finals) of his conference tourni his last year (shooting 5-18), then lost in the NIT second round to St. Mary's (shooting 11-27).
Sorry, not "great PG" results in his final year.

But that's the point, isn't it, and it's not semantics. It's the heart of the question - what makes great?

And? Bazz shot 38% from the field in the AAC tournament his senior year. He also shot 7 of 22 and turned it over four times in the opening round against St. Joes, only to be bailed out by a miracle shot from his freshman center that sent the game to overtime. He then picked up two early fouls against Villanova in the next round and sat on the bench until halftime as his teammates erased a ten point deficit.

From there on, he was sensational, but a guy like Curry had no luxury of easing his way into tournaments. Keep in mind this is the same guy who, early in his senior season, was held to two shot attempts in a game because the opponent was literally double-teaming him the entire game. They chose to play 3 on 4 instead of defend a Curry-led offense.

My point is not that talent and great are directly connected - my point is that there is a correlation between the two that becomes clear sometimes only in hindsight. Chances are Johnny Maniel was not a better college quarterback than Tom Brady, but even that example might undersell my point given the fact that Curry was considerably better than Bazz statistically. He shot slightly worse from three on nearly twice the attempts, he shot far better from two, and he went to the line a little bit more. His true shooting% was higher than Bazz's despite shouldering a much greater workload.

And if we're cherry-picking stats, how about mentioning the fact that Curry averaged 32 points per game in the 2008 NCAA tournament, or that he brought Davidson of all schools to the brink of toppling an all-time great Kansas team in the elite eight? Or how about the fact that he played a seven seed, a two seed, a three seed, and a one seed in the process? Were those teams in the Southern conference?

I hate you for putting me in a position to argue against Shabazz, but we're talking about an all-time great in Curry who was a legend even before he became a two-time MVP and two-time champion. He was the story of the 2008 tournament, perhaps in a way that even Bazz and Kemba could not replicate. Of all guys to take issue with from that list, Curry is an odd one.

Reaction Score
[Lots of Words]
Your argument is merely that Curry had more talent than Shabazz. We agree on that. That's why you're saying things like "greatness in hindsight."
And Brady was likely a greater College QB than Johnny Football?
Even mentioning that is silliness, but I'll give you this - it's a perfect analogy to what you're doing, which is applying 20-20 hindsight with today's knowledge about Curry's NBA career to argue that Curry's "magical" 3 game run in a single year somehow made him "great" for his 3 years in college.

Reaction Score
Bazz refused to lose and showed great leadership. You cant ask for more than that. HE is the main reason UConn won the Championship in 2014.

I wouldn't trade him for anyone on that list.

Reaction Score
It's just great we can debate the subject with our worthy point guards.

We even have others worthy of honorable mention.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I just can't see Bazz being close to Kemba. Kemba has to be a first team all-time NCAA clutch player, possibly only second to Laettner.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Sorry, I just can't see Bazz being close to Kemba. Kemba has to be a first team all-time NCAA clutch player, possibly only second to Laettner.
Not close?
Wow - that's crazy
If Bazz wasn't clutch then I don't really know the definition of clutch is

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro