HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UConn Twitter

1683026892213.png

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If you are a 1-seed and tourney goes chalk you would beat a 16, 8, 4, 2, 1, 1 for a total of a 32. That should be easiest path since you would play the "worst" or lowest seed each round.

An 8-seed would go 9, 1, 4, 2, 1, 1 for a total of 18.

Reaction Score
If you are a 1-seed and tourney goes chalk you would beat a 16, 8, 4, 2, 1, 1 for a total of a 32. That should be easiest path since you would play the "worst" or lowest seed each round.

Wouldn't that be the hardest path since you are playing the highest seed each round?

Reaction Score

I guess the argument is 1 seeds "deserve" an easy path, and higher seeds like us don't.

The argument gets a lot weaker when you consider that we beat everyone by 13 points or more and none of the games were competitive inside the last TV timeout.

"UConn was lucky they didn't have to face Kansas [who lost to a team we beat by 23], UCLA [who lost to a team we beat by 28], Houston [who lost to a team we beat by 13], or Bama [who lost to a team we beat by 17]."

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I guess the argument is 1 seeds "deserve" an easy path, and higher seeds like us don't.

The argument gets a lot weaker when you consider that we beat everyone by 13 points or more and none of the games were competitive inside the last TV timeout.

"UConn was lucky they didn't have to face Kansas [who lost to a team we beat by 23], UCLA [who lost to a team we beat by 28], Houston [who lost to a team we beat by 13], or Bama [who lost to a team we beat by 17]."

I agree, and I think most "experts" agreed by the end of the tourney that UConn was far and away the best team in the country. The narrative wasn't "how did a 4-seed win it all?", it was "how did a team this good lose 8 games and get a 4-seed?".

Here's another example. A 13-seed. Their path would be 4, 5, 1, 2, 1, 1. Total of 14.

UConn going chalk this year as a 4-seed would have been - 13, 5, 1, 2, 1, 1. Total of 23.

Reaction Score
Seed total is a very sketchy metric for judging the difficulty of a team's road to the championship. If we're being honest, we have to admit that this year's path was super easy. Sure, the team was a cot damn monster truck and probably could have rolled over 6 1-seeds, but the fact remains the bracket broke quite easy for us this year. Where we could have faced 1, 2, 1, 1 we faced 8, 3, 5, 5.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You beat the team that you are facing due to the schedule
Plain and simple
Win them all and then who cares?
This argument is for whiners - Dookies, Nova fans, etc
Kanas fans :rolleyes: There’s a kind of Twitter war with Kansas fans beating their chests about their 4 championships, including the one from 1920-something. It’s gotten so bad the Creighton and Villanova fans, even one Providence fan, are defending UConn.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It's fair to say some of the tourney runs have opened up for us, to argue otherwise is disingenuous.

That said, the only people that seem to care are Kentucky, Kansas and Syracuse fans, with to some degree actually makes it more enjoyable knowing how much it tweaks them.

Reaction Score
Kanas fans :rolleyes: There’s a kind of Twitter war with Kansas fans beating their chests about their 4 championships, including the one from 1920-something. It’s gotten so bad the Creighton and Villanova fans, even one Providence fan, are defending UConn.

5 > 4... always.

Reaction Score

Lmao just pathetic

But I mean do they have a literal single other thing to be proud of in Kansas?

Reaction Score

"Kansas is relevant because of their heyday during the Harding Administration" seems like a bit of a contradiction.

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We didn't just beat anybody. We destroyed them, we mauled them, not one game was competitive down the stretch

The outcomes were never in doubt. Every coach we faced saw this, only some idiot tries to spin it to make himself feel better about his inferior program. I can only smile and look away

We are UConn. We have the most men's National Championships in the new millennia. Our women are even better.

We are spoiled and arrogant

We are the college basketball capital of the world

And we're better than you, all of you, whoever you are

This is the word of the Willie

Reaction Score

Thats exactly the point. You can only play the games against teams that win. If the higher seeds lose, arguing that they would be a more difficult team to play, is ludicrous.

Reaction Score
Upsets happen, injuries happen, and the "better" team doesn't always win. That's the Madness part of March Madness. Alabama, Houston, Purdue, Kansas, Arizona, UCLA, Texas, Marquette didn't beat who was in front of them. UConn, SDSU, FAU, and Miami did. Does that mean those were the best 4 teams last year? Probably not. But it's win-or-go-home every game, and those four won when it mattered while the others couldn't get it done.

There is a valid hypothetical question: "if UConn had to play Kansas, UCLA, Houston, Alabama, could they have won it all?". I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. Their advanced metrics and OOC dominance indicate they could, and they already blew out Bama early in the season. But it's all hypothetical.

There is an equally valid hypothetical question: "If Kansas couldn't beat Arkansas and UConn blew them out, if UCLA couldn't beat Gonzaga and UConn blew them out, if Houston couldn't beat Miami and UConn blew them out, if Alabama couldn't beat SDSU and UConn blew them out, could any of those teams beat UConn?". I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. All hypothetical

But what I do know is that UConn ran every single opponent off the court en route to 6 blowout wins and a National Championship. That's all that I really care about lol

Reaction Score
Seed total is a very sketchy metric for judging the difficulty of a team's road to the championship. If we're being honest, we have to admit that this year's path was super easy. Sure, the team was a cot damn monster truck and probably could have rolled over 6 1-seeds, but the fact remains the bracket broke quite easy for us this year. Where we could have faced 1, 2, 1, 1 we faced 8, 3, 5, 5.
Not perfect but hardly sketchy, unless the committee seeding is also sketchy. Did think the 2014 UConn team had a tough road, this shows actually did (and that's with Kentucky being under seeded due to not coming together well until late).

Reaction Score
Tournament titles obtained since 1985 are much more difficult to win. That’s when the field expanded to 64. In addition the talent level has been more spread out in last 25 years; mid major veteran teams became a threat; basically it’s a lot harder to win any given game in the tournament. That’s why what we have needs to be put up against any other “blue blood “ credential and in fact vault us to top.

Reaction Score
Thats exactly the point. You can only play the games against teams that win. If the higher seeds lose, arguing that they would be a more difficult team to play, is ludicrous.
It's not remotely ludicrous. There are many instances where the winner in one round is less equipped to beat the next opponent than the team they just beat would have been. Maybe the winner just had a great/lucky night. Maybe the other team just had a bad/unlucky night. Injuries, sickness, matchups, coaches' game plans, I could go on.

If you are saying that the fact that Team A just beat Team B is sufficient evidence to say that Team A is the more difficult opponent for Team C, then THAT is ludicrous.

Reaction Score
It's fair to say some of the tourney runs have opened up for us, to argue otherwise is disingenuous.

That said, the only people that seem to care are Kentucky, Kansas and Syracuse fans, with to some degree actually makes it more enjoyable knowing how much it tweaks them.
Some opened up for us and some didn't where we had to play the best an hour from their campus. Every team that's in the tournament a bunch has things break for them and things go against them. Some of the best teams we've had ended up with a lot of things going against them.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There is a valid hypothetical question: "if UConn had to play Kansas, UCLA, Houston, Alabama, could they have won it all?". I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. Their advanced metrics and OOC dominance indicate they could, and they already blew out Bama early in the season. But it's all hypothetical.

Using post-NCAA tourney metrics, meaning UConn's six wins are included and each of those teams' tourney wins and losses were included, I'd like to see a simulation of those teams and see which team would have won the most often. I think UConn comes out pretty good in that grouping. I'll go one step forward. Run a simulation of the top 16 teams- seeds 1-4 in each bracket, and see how it comes out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom