NCAA board votes to allow autonomy - top five conferences to write many of their own rules | The Boneyard

NCAA board votes to allow autonomy - top five conferences to write many of their own rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...d-votes-allow-autonomy-five-power-conferences

Wow - this is getting ugly for us. We can vote to override but not expected to happen.

'If 75 schools from outside the power five conferences vote to override the autonomy legislation in the next 60 days, the measures would be sent back to the board of directors for further consideration. But NCAA officials don't expect that to happen. Power league commissioners have made veiled threats about breaking off to form their own division if autonomy fails.'

Reaction Score
If the presidents really cared about academics (I know, a joke) they would over-ride and call everybody's bluff. But they don't and they won't and largely they just want the football schools to go away and leave them alone.

Reaction Score
Will AAC just go along and try to operate under similar rules, adopt the rules of a particular P5 Conference (are we even allowed to do that) or object to specific provisions then fold up and get relegated? Mike keeps saying P6 and now we're going to find out.

We may also end up dropping the term student-athlete for entire conferences.

Reaction Score
This really means nothing to UConn. We can and will adopt any legislation passed by the P5. This really only allows smaller school to not have to follow all D1 legislation.

Great article:
The 4 things to know about the new NCAA's autonomy structure

"The power conferences can make their own rules, but those rules will also be available to smaller schools. This would make sure strong programs in those conferences — UConn basketball, for example — wouldn't be put at a recruiting disadvantage. But it would also ensure smaller schools that can't afford these benefits don't have to pay them."

I also found this interesting:

Dan WolkenVerified account ‏@DanWolken
FWIW, there’s no built-in mechanism for a conference to become a power conference (AAC requested this). But Board of Directors can modify.

Reaction Score
http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/uconns-susan-herbst-on-power-5-autonomy/

>>UConn President Susan Herbst reiterated on Thursday that UConn’s practices and goals align closely with the Power 5:

“The philosophies and practices we use to run athletics here at UConn are very closely aligned with those used in the five conferences seeking more autonomy,” Herbst said. “The NCAA vote allows institutions to provide their student-athletes with more support, and we too strive for this, of course.

“We just had another superb year, with two national basketball championships and another in field hockey. And we hired one of the most sought-after coaches in the country to lead our football program — Bob Diaco. UConn will continue to be a leader and national powerhouse on the athletic scene, across sports, after the vote and well beyond.”<<

Reaction Score
Got to like the ability to continue to buy time. The fact that non p5 schools will be allowed to offer the same benefits is huge. This wasn't a certainty a few months ago. Now how long can we keep pace with a considerable revenue disadvantage? The TV money going forward will become the game changer.

Reaction Score
Got to like the ability to continue to buy time. The fact that non p5 schools will be allowed to offer the same benefits is huge. This wasn't a certainty a few months ago. Now how long can we keep pace with a considerable revenue disadvantage? The TV money going forward will become the game changer.

Be prepared for a lot of phone calls for donations.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know when the AAC can renegotiate the TV deal? With a 12 team league once Navy joins what we are getting now is a joke.

Until then we need to keep buying tickets, jerseys, and donating when we can.

Reaction Score
On a scale of:

Ignore completely to Begin Lobbying to shutter the entire athletic department.... How exactly should I react to this?

Reaction Score

Which is why I find it irresponsible for the state to be passing this 1 Billion dollars for a tech park at UConn.

As a tax payer, I would prefer a good percentage of that money go to the athletic department to off set the TV contract disadvantage it will be at compared to other conferences. I am getting really sick and tired of hearing how much the TV contracts will screw us, than wake up and read the state is shoveling another billions for more big shiny buildings on campus. If we are gonna throw money around let's throw at least SOME of it to athletics to offset the TV contracts.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
On a scale of:

Ignore completely to Begin Lobbying to shutter the entire athletic department.... How exactly should I react to this?

Two units to the right of Ignore Completely.

Reaction Score
Short of being in a p5 league at moment, today's ruling is as good as it was going to get for UConn. The rest of the NCAA is too scared to lose the crumbs they currently get, so there was no way the p5 wasn't going to get autonomy.

UConn is allowed to offer the same benefits to student athletes that BC, SYRACUSE AND RUTGERS can. Without that our bball program was done.

Reaction Score
Which is why I find it irresponsible for the state to be passing this 1 Billion dollars for a tech park at UConn.

As a tax payer, I would prefer a good percentage of that money go to the athletic department to off set the TV contract disadvantage it will be at compared to other conferences. I am getting really sick and tired of hearing how much the TV contracts will screw us, than wake up and read the state is shoveling another billions for more big shiny buildings on campus. If we are gonna throw money around let's throw at least SOME of it to athletics to offset the TV contracts.
The first priority of UConn and the state is academics not sports, it’s a school after all. We are not going to give a billion to subsidize a sports team that is supposed to turn a profit. That would be so small time the AAC would kick us out.

Making UConn a top 10 public is in the interests of all. It will help us get AAU status which will help us gain Big 10 entry.

Let’s not be silly.

Reaction Score

Even as huge of a supporter of UConn and UConn Athletics that I am, I would find it equally irresponsible for the State to funnel tax payor money to offset TV Sports Contracts. There would never be widespread support for that... never.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Aresco said:
“Our conference membership supports the new governance model and the opportunities it will present to enhance the student-athlete experience and student-athlete welfare. Our presidents and athletic directors are steadfast in their commitment to these ideals and also to providing our student-athletes with the ability to compete at the highest level of collegiate athletics.”

Reaction Score
@ASweet3781, you can't sell that to non UConn fan taxpayer in this state. This state always has a throng of Ken Krayeske types ready to jump on that type of stuff. They'll find a way to stay relevant for another decade or so. See the new practice facility for bball. There are no plans to go away quietly.

Reaction Score

I'm all for providing funding to the athletic department but you do realize that UConn is an academic institution first and foremost, right?

Reaction Score
This isn't horrible for UConn because they will be able to implement a lot of the same rules that the P5 schools put in place. It may actually give us an edge over other G5 schools who can't afford to do it.

The question is how long we'll be able to keep up with the Joneses given the revenue gap.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Dan WolkenVerified account ‏@DanWolken
FWIW, there’s no built-in mechanism for a conference to become a power conference (AAC requested this). But Board of Directors can modify.

I find this interesting as well. An interesting fact is they use the term "smaller schools," when the fact remains that many schools outside the bubble are bigger and offer more than many of the mid to bottom tier schools in the 5CSMA. There needs to be a mechanism for inclusion. If not (and UConn is not included in the coming years), I hope the Networks take bath on the 5CSMA.

Reaction Score

images.jpeg

Reaction Score
http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/uconns-susan-herbst-on-power-5-autonomy/

>>UConn President Susan Herbst reiterated on Thursday that UConn’s practices and goals align closely with the Power 5:

“The philosophies and practices we use to run athletics here at UConn are very closely aligned with those used in the five conferences seeking more autonomy,” Herbst said. “The NCAA vote allows institutions to provide their student-athletes with more support, and we too strive for this, of course.

“We just had another superb year, with two national basketball championships and another in field hockey. And we hired one of the most sought-after coaches in the country to lead our football program — Bob Diaco. UConn will continue to be a leader and national powerhouse on the athletic scene, across sports, after the vote and well beyond.”<<

I thought Herbst didn't care about this stuff.

Reaction Score
Let's just say the cost is $5K/athlete/year. ~700 athletes = $3.5M/year.

I'm not saying that isn't a lot of money, but it isn't an insurmountable amount of money. In the last 10 years, donations to the athletic program have totaled over $100M.

Reaction Score
This is only the beginning. Ever hear of appeasement? Emmert is the present day Nevell Chamberlain. The NCAA has created a monster and it is only a matter of time before it breaks free

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Does anyone know when the AAC can renegotiate the TV deal? With a 12 team league once Navy joins what we are getting now is a joke.

Until then we need to keep buying tickets, jerseys, and donating when we can.
2019-2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek