NCAA announces Regional and (2024-2025) Final Four sites | The Boneyard

NCAA announces Regional and (2024-2025) Final Four sites

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The NCAA must not like the midwest, though Minneapolis and Cleveland host the 2022 and 2024 Final Fours.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The East gets two, the South gets two regionals, but the West gets 4. Considering how many teams in the final 4s have been from the east and south, seems like a bias against the traditional powers. Who can watch a game that starts at 11:00pm est?
What makes you think a regional final or semifinal would start that late?

Reaction Score
What is the reasons for the switch? Likely money but this seems very skewed. Every region takes turns except the West which has one every year?? Sure doesn't look fair to me. Am I missing something?

Reaction Score
What makes you think a regional final or semifinal would start that late?

Each site would have 4 games in round 3, or 2 a day. ESPN will want games at noon, 3pm 5pm and 9pm. If the west coast game is 9pm it would be 11pm on the east coast. The other option is to play 2 games at the same time and I don't think that happens by the S16.

Reaction Score
I would strongly argue against there being a bias against the traditional powers. If anything, from a competitive standpoint, this will make it more fair to other teams not named UConn and make the tournament more balanced. UConn has historically benefitted from being able to stay close to home essentially all the way to the Final Four. Granted, UConn and their fans have done an incredible job of supporting the tournament by getting butts in the seats to make for a great environment; however, that also gives UConn an advantage even if they aren't the actual "hosts" of the regional site. I'd say that Albany, Kingston, Philadelphia, and Bridgeport over the past 10 years have essentially been a "home" court regional for the Huskies. This is not in any part a failing on UConn's behalf, teams in the Northeast have recognized that they can make money off of hosting a regional based off of an incredible fanbase -- and they have often done so well which means that they often get the privilege of hosting again. Given the caliber of UConn's teams, I don't know that if they were on the "road" it would have made a difference -- but it does give you a moment to wonder if Ally Mallott and Dayton had been playing in Columbus or outside of UConn's home territory, whether they could have continued to fight to a bitter end in the 2015 regional final after leading at the half.

Since 2010, UConn has only left the northeast for a regional once (Lincoln, 2014). Contrast this with Baylor who has the following travel Greensboro(2019), Lexington (2018), South Bend (2014), Des Moines (2012), and Memphis (2010). Notre Dame has even more travel with the following: Kansas City (2010), Raleigh (2012), Norfolk (2013), Oklahoma City (2015), and Spokane (2018).

While we don't know how the next 3-7 years will shape up in terms of the balance of power of basketball, what we do know right now points to fierce rivalries forming in the west as the Pac-12 has become an ascendant conference. Spokane, Seattle, and Portland have all hosted fabulous regionals in the past and they should be excellent hosts once again. The rise of South Carolina should continue unabated as they look to establish themselves as the next "it" program. UConn will turn a new Paige and start a new chapter after the departure of Dangerfield -- but UConn also hasn't won a championship since Breanna Stewart left campus. I would have to imagine that the committee had a specific list of criteria that had to be met in order for a region to host. It might be as simple as the New York area didn't put their best foot forward on applications due to how hard the pandemic hit the region earlier this year. The fact is, we don't really know why the committee chose the regions they did; however, we can get excited and start thinking about the opportunity to see 8 teams at one site --which is a real treat. For example, in 2019, you might've been able to see UCLA, Louisville, UConn, and Oregon State duke it out while Mississippi State, Oregon, South Dakota State, and Arizona State were playing at the same location for a right to the final four. That's a high caliber of teams and an exciting prospect.

Reaction Score
What is the reasons for the switch? Likely money but this seems very skewed. Every region takes turns except the West which has one every year?? Sure doesn't look fair to me. Am I missing something?

Attendance. Some regionals had 4-5K fans. It's hard for an arena to make a profit. Did you think that Albany and Bridgeport get picked because the NCAA loved UConn? They get picked because they outbid everyone else.

Reaction Score
I'll also add, that as a current Denverite, I am thrilled by the prospect of being able to go to a region and see six games over the course of a weekend instead of just three. It makes me more willing to consider travelling to go and see a regional. Portland and Seattle are nearly no-brainers for me to go see as my sister lives in Seattle. Now, if I could just get a raise to pay for my new....expenditures by then, that would be fantastic.

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to Phoenix. Early April is prime weather and they have some of the most beautiful golf courses in the country. I'd make that a week-long trip.

Reaction Score
Each site would have 4 games in round 3, or 2 a day. ESPN will want games at noon, 3pm 5pm and 9pm. If the west coast game is 9pm it would be 11pm on the east coast. The other option is to play 2 games at the same time and I don't think that happens by the S16.

Honestly, with ESPN it might depend on the teams involved when they decide to air games. If UConn is involved and shipped out west, they will get into the earlier game. As always, there's going to be a game that gets the short end of the stick. I recall Oregon playing South Dakota State in a game that started at 9:30 EST one year, but it was a heck of a game out west that year.

Reaction Score
Lorcan - Nice well worded reply that did in no way answer the question or respond to the facts. The left side of the sites had a NE, SE, S, SC which the right side was ALL Pac-12 area teams in adjoining states with The California site in the northern part of California so I would classify those as all NW. There are NO North Central locations or Mid West (perhaps Texas which I classified as South Central). It is grossly unfair to all regions not NW.

Reaction Score
Texas may not get regionals but they get more than their share of final fours.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Lorcan - Nice well worded reply that did in no way answer the question or respond to the facts. The left side of the sites had a NE, SE, S, SC which the right side was ALL Pac-12 area teams in adjoining states with The California site in the northern part of California so I would classify those as all NW. There are NO North Central locations or Mid West (perhaps Texas which I classified as South Central). It is grossly unfair to all regions not NW.
Maybe it's to just partly make up for the fact that a grand total of zero Final Fours have been held on the West Coast since 2000. And only one Final Four west of the Central time zone in that time (2012 in Denver).

Reaction Score
I think New England has had one FF in the last 30 years, in Boston. (UConn missed that one) :(

Reaction Score
I thought Final 4s were always expected to be near the center of the country (and a bit south to make sure weather didn't get in the way). I never even consider that to be a "regional" thing, just a travel 2 time zones or less to a great warm vacation destination in early April.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I think New England has had one FF in the last 30 years, in Boston. (UConn missed that one) :(
Yes, but how many FFs have been held in the Eastern time zone?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

That was unfortunate. In 1990 the Final Four was in Knoxville and Tennessee missed it. :)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I have no idea.
It has to be a fair number. We went to Charlotte NC (UConn was there) and to see Rutgers at Philly and Cleveland. I think there have been at least 2 FF's down the Tampa area and I don't know where all else. I'm not sure it is an unfair number of them, but certainly a number. I'm not sure, but maybe Indi? as well.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The East gets two, the South gets two regionals, but the West gets 4. Considering how many teams in the final 4s have been from the east and south, seems like a bias against the traditional powers. Who can watch a game that starts at 11:00pm est?

I'm going to try very hard and make all 4 of them. :D

For ratings and to boost fan interest, the last game of the day should not start after 9:00 pm EST. They'll figure it out.

Reaction Score
It has to be a fair number. We went to Charlotte NC (UConn was there) and to see Rutgers at Philly and Cleveland. I think there have been at least 2 FF's down the Tampa area and I don't know where all else. I'm not sure it is an unfair number of them, but certainly a number. I'm not sure, but maybe Indi? as well.

The Eastern time zone includes Tenn Kentucky, and Ohio and I don't consider those states as part of the east. The problem is that Charlotte, Florida and everything south of DC is considered the south by the NCAA, not the east. The same can be said of the west coast. A final four in Seattle is hardly a home game for UCLA or Arizona.

Reaction Score

Right. I think the challenge here is that as a casual observer, I can offer my two cents; however, I don't think any of us have true insight as to why the west got more. Is it because the regional sites out west have been more successful recently with the rise of Oregon and the continued excellence of Gonzaga? Spokane when Gonzaga was making runs was almost always packed. Is it because the west is historically underrepresented and typically has to travel further to get to a regional site or Final Four? Is it because the arenas in these locations are easier to travel to for multiple teams than places like South Bend, Lexington, Albany? While I'm no expert on airport size, Seattle, Portland, Birmingham, Sacramento and Ft. Worth all sound like they have easier access with more direct flights. Is a part of the puzzle whether the city has easy access to hotels from the airport to the arena or is there something else that was included in the bids that were put together? Is this a part of a concentrated effort by the NCAA to grow the game outside of the reliable and admittedly eternally youthful UConn fanbase? I can understand being disappointed to not get to see your team come tourney time; however, that's been the unfortunate reality for teams around the country essentially every year.

Honestly, we can speculate any number of reasons for this decision. At the end of the day, the game needs to find new ways to grow and attract new fans. I would be a strong believer that it means finding new ways to attract different fans and if we can tap into the success of Oregon, Gonzaga, and Oregon State to build a strong regional site out west consistently, I'm a big fan of that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom