NCAA Announces Final Four Officials | The Boneyard

NCAA Announces Final Four Officials

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I am guessing that they didn't specify which ones are working which game?

Reaction Score
OK freely admitting I'm too lazy (or busy) to do this but has anyone checked to see which games these officials have worked in the tournament so far? Just wanted to get a feel for how the games will be called. I was hoping more like the Iowa game. If it becomes an unwatchable touch foul game I will be crushed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
OK freely admitting I'm too lazy (or busy) to do this but has anyone checked to see which games these officials have worked in the tournament so far? Just wanted to get a feel for how the games will be called. I was hoping more like the Utah game. If it becomes an unwatchable touch foul game I will be crushed.
Utah?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Where is the Dislike button when you need it???????
Believe me I would rather have her reffing the Stanford vs SC game, but UConn is not that lucky when it comes to Dee Kantner. I also hope that she announces her retirement immediately after the conclusion of the tournament.

Reaction Score
Huh? Iowa of course. Why did I write Utah. Where :oops:. Fixed..I must have an April frame of mind today or senility is worse than usual...

Reaction Score
This just in: For the first time ever refs will be allowed to use their seeing eye dogs on the court. Masks will be required..
Scared Dog GIF

Reaction Score
I remember back in 2009 I believe when Dee had 2 fouls on Jane Apell and Charles, in the first 5 minutes of the championship game. All BS touch stuff that could have been incidental but Dee's default response was to blow her whistle. Then I thought she matured somewhat and actually started to see that UConn just doesn't foul a lot and that calling their games and only calling 7 or 8 fouls was normal.

What I hope here is that the 3 person teams are suited to each other. The worst thing is when one official isn't calling anything while another whistles everything. The second worse thing is calling everything (or nothing) in one half and then doing the opposite in the other half. And the third worst thing is allowing something to happen (fouls) all game and then calling it in the last 2 seconds. :)

Reaction Score
A positive aspect about these choices is that UCONN is familiar with all of these officials. There have been tournament games in past years where the ref was not accustomed to the speed & physicality of the teams.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Brenda Pantoja will not be the ref for your 1st game, she is an Arizona grad and former player, a teammate of Adia Barnes. Along with Chuck Gonzalez, Cheryl Flores and Melissa Barlow they are predominately West Coast refs.

What is more interesting is who will be the ones on the court vs. the back-up refs.

Reaction Score
A positive aspect about these choices is that UCONN is familiar with all of these officials. There have been tournament games in past years where the ref was not accustomed to the speed & physicality of the teams.
I've been watching WBB for "only" 13 seasons. Over that time period the speed, strength and overall athleticism of the players has increased significantly, even to a relatively uneducated eye like mine.

For years I felt that the referees watched a play develop, assumed based on past experience that the player couldn't make the play and made a call based on that almost preconceived notion. So clean blocks were called fouls, euro-step drives were called traveling, etc.

Now it seems like they've almost gone the other direction especially as regards play in the paint. They let physical play dominate. A free-flowing offense (UConn's a prime example) is faced with unending hand-checks and hacks.

Reaction Score
It is interesting that both semifinals feature a team from each coast. I wonder how that might affect the officiating choices.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It is interesting that both semifinals feature a team from each coast. I wonder how that might affect the officiating choices.
I'm sure there will be at least 1 of the PAC refs in each of the semis; at least one will be held in reserve for the final. Past that, I have no idea.

The only one of the others with any sort of "rep" that I know of (except for you guys not liking Dee) is Maj Forsberg. There are certainly those who don't like her, claiming that her foul calls are inconsistent. I have no opinion, really.

Reaction Score
Believe me I would rather have her reffing the Stanford vs SC game, but UConn is not that lucky when it comes to Dee Kantner. I also hope that she announces her retirement immediately after the conclusion of the tournament.
How about she retires before this weekend ?:)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom