NCAA allows D-I summer basketball activities starting July 20 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA allows D-I summer basketball activities starting July 20

Reaction Score
That is very encouraging news. Now if we can get the two young people in Eastern Europe on a plane and delivered to the UConn campus, things will be looking good. Then, I would like to hear from those that know how the practices are going and how things are coming together.
Anna is one of 18 players invited to a special camp for Poland’s national team, so she will get a workout for 2 1/2 weeks but I am unclear when or if she will be allowed to fly to the U.S.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Anna is one of 18 players invited to a special camp for Poland’s national team, so she will get a workout for 2 1/2 weeks but I am unclear when or if she will be allowed to fly to the U.S.

This seems the latest guidance

With specific exceptions, foreign nationals who have been in any of the following countries during the past 14 days may not enter the United States. For a full list of exceptions, please refer to the relevant proclamations in the links below.

China
Iran
European Schengen area (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City)
United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland)
Republic of Ireland
Brazil

Seems to me, if you leave one of the areas and go to a "neutral" country for 14+ days, then you can enter the US??

Reaction Score
It may not matter as the government today has banned all new visas for the rest of the year for seasonal workers, tech workers, students, and multi-national firm managers. Not sure if by students it means high school or college or any student in general.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It may not matter as the government today has banned all new visas for the rest of the year for seasonal workers, tech workers, students, and multi-national firm managers. Not sure if by students it means high school or college or any student in general.
Some specifics. There are exemptions for agricultural and food service workers as well as health care workers. The application to students applies to the J-1 program which covers visiting scholars and foreign exchange programs. It does not apply to the majority of international students studying in the U.S.

Reaction Score
Some specifics. There are exemptions for agricultural and food service workers as well as health care workers. The application to students applies to the J-1 program which covers visiting scholars and foreign exchange programs. It does not apply to the majority of international students studying in the U.S.
1) "The application to students..." means application of the exception, or application of the ban on new visas (WHAT does not apply to the majority of international students?)

2) What if they already have an extended-period visa (i.e. 365 days, etc.)?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
1) "The application to students..." means application of the exception, or application of the ban on new visas (WHAT does not apply to the majority of international students?)

2) What if they already have an extended-period visa (i.e. 365 days, etc.)?
Let me clarify. International students studying in the U.S. are not affected. If they can get on a plane to the U.S. (not a certainty) and their college is open for business (not a certainty) then no restrictions apply.

The thrust of the presidential order restricts work visas. The J-1 program involving visiting scholars and exchange programs pertains to compensated teaching/research and study positions.

Reaction Score
I think the Clemson football team is intentionally exposing each other to get it over with and have a competitive advantage. Today they announced 14 more football players have tested positive, bringing their total to 37. 47 in the athletic dept are positive, out of the total 430 tested. This is 11% - more than double the expected rate. But 37 football players is 1/3 of the entire roster. Yeah - prolly random.

IMO this is a good strategy. If they actually do end up playing it’s going to happen anyway. Do it in June/July and let your opponents do it in December/January.

Reaction Score
By Jeff Borzello - ESPN Staff Writer

The NCAA Division I Council on Wednesday approved summer plans for men's and women's basketball, allowing required summer athletics activities to begin July 20. Currently, men's and women's basketball student-athletes can participate in voluntary activities and virtual nonphysical activities through the rest of June. From July 1-19, those voluntary nonphysical activities and strength and conditioning training can continue.

Subject to change, I am sure. Clemson football practice recently shut down because 23 players tested positive for Covid....the truth is; while organizations need to make decisions, no one knows what next week will bring....we can only hope. Science will end this.. Not hopeful thinking..

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think the Clemson football team is intentionally exposing each other to get it over with and have a competitive advantage. Today they announced 14 more football players have tested positive, bringing their total to 37. 47 in the athletic dept are positive, out of the total 430 tested. This is 11% - more than double the expected rate. But 37 football players is 1/3 of the entire roster. Yeah - prolly random.

IMO this is a good strategy. If they actually do end up playing it’s going to happen anyway. Do it in June/July and let your opponents do it in December/January.
Wow! There are several problems with this kind of thinking that I would classify as legal, medical and moral.

On the legal side, if any member of the Clemson coaching staff or Athletic Dept suggested they were intentionally exposing their athletes to the virus the University’s legal council would have a fit, and the school could be looking at potential liability in the millions.

From a medical standpoint, there are almost too many issues to list. While it’s true that younger people are generally less susceptible to the worst outcomes from the virus, there are too many exceptions to be cavalier about exposing individuals just because they are young.

Recent studies indicate that antibodies dissipate in as little as 2-3 months, so there is no guarantee that an individual can not contract the virus a 2nd time. This is a serious respiratory illness that can result in lasting problems, even among young healthy individuals. Dallas Cowboy star running back, Ezekiel Elliott contracted the virus several months back. While he is better, he still can not work out, as he remains short of breath with scar tissue in his lungs. Recovery time for many, even young healthy individuals, can be months, not weeks.

Finally, the morality of exposing people to this disease, however young and healthy they may be, is sadly questionable. These young athletes have the potential to infect older, more vulnerable individuals, including coaches, cafeteria staff, maintenance personnel and countless others who are part of the college community at large.

Reaction Score
Wow! There are several problems with this kind of thinking that I would classify as legal, medical and moral.

On the legal side, if any member of the Clemson coaching staff or Athletic Dept suggested they were intentionally exposing their athletes to the virus the University’s legal council would have a fit, and the school could be looking at potential liability in the millions.

From a medical standpoint, there are almost too many issues to list. While it’s true that younger people are generally less susceptible to the worst outcomes from the virus, there are too many exceptions to be cavalier about exposing individuals just because they are young.

Recent studies indicate that antibodies dissipate in as little as 2-3 months, so there is no guarantee that an individual can not contract the virus a 2nd time. This is a serious respiratory illness that can result in lasting problems, even among young healthy individuals. Dallas Cowboy star running back, Ezekiel Elliott contracted the virus several months back. While he is better, he still can not work out, as he remains short of breath with scar tissue in his lungs. Recovery time for many, even young healthy individuals, can be months, not weeks.

Finally, the morality of exposing people to this disease, however young and healthy they may be, is sadly questionable. These young athletes have the potential to infect older, more vulnerable individuals, including coaches, cafeteria staff, maintenance personnel and countless others who are part of the college community at large.
No one is admitting it, but how do you explain a 30+% positive test rate vs. expected 5% positive rate from society at large. If this is "accidental", it's as bad as any nursing home in New York.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No one is admitting it, but how do you explain a 30+% positive test rate vs. expected 5% positive rate from society at large. If this is "accidental", it's as bad as any nursing home in New York.
Guessing NC football players think they are invincible and not subject to the laws of nature.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don’t know, and I suspect Clemson is not saying in part because it could be construed as a violation of HIPAA regulations. If I was to guess, I suspect a large group of Clemson players got together socially prior to on campus testing and one or more players who had the virus infected everyone else.

Reaction Score
I don’t know, and I suspect Clemson is not saying in part because it could be construed as a violation of HIPAA regulations. If I was to guess, I suspect a large group of Clemson players got together socially prior to on campus testing and one or more players who had the virus infected everyone else.
1. Because they, unlike all the other returning Clemson (LSU, whatever) non-football athletes, hadn’t heard about social distancing guidelines?
2. On purpose, to expose each other?
3. ???

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It's July 28th
The virus is spreading in the South and SouthWest at rates which are even worse than what occurred earlier in NY.

Unless it is brought under control and quickly...(and to date there are few concrete steps to do that: baby steps yes, but serious restraints, no)
Public schooling is in doubt, Physical university attendance is in doubt

With a two-week rise of 65% (NY TImes) I just don't see much likelihood of Sport anytime soon....No matter what anyone says

Yes, they might try...as did Korean Baseball, English soccer etc....but one can foresee more catastrophes like the Djokovic tennis tourney...
And the state of the disease here is far, far worse than in any of the those places.

Starting and then stopping again would be most disheartening.

Concentration and action on getting the virus under control is the only logical step.

Reaction Score
Governor Lamont announced that Connecticut K-12 schools would open with students on campus this fall. Then the teachers announced their opposition.

In the Southern and Western states that were largely untouched while we were being slammed with the virus, over half of the new cases there are of younger people, not the elderly and nursing home residents.

How could our WCBB team travel to South Carolina to play when the disease is exploding in that state? How could we keep them safe?

Something tells me that this reopening and the fall season are about to come crashing down.

Reaction Score
So true. Here in NYC, our numbers have been getting alot better but I am happy to report that in general (not counting young barhopping kids, Central Park abuses etc), just about everyone (> 90%) is wearing a mask. I think most of that is due to the self imposed requirement that most stores require you to wear a mask to enter. Hopefully, we will maintain our vigilance as we enter phase 2 on June 22. Can't wait to get my haircut. :)

And unlike residents of Fairfield County, who largely decline to wear masks, New York City residents continue to strictly follow the requirement to wear masks when they go out in public.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
1. Because they, unlike all the other returning Clemson (LSU, whatever) non-football athletes, hadn’t heard about social distancing guidelines?
2. On purpose, to expose each other?
3. ???
I choose 3. They are young guys who think
they are invincible..... If it’s either 1 or 2, then they are stupid young guys who think they are invincible.

Reaction Score
This seems the latest guidance

With specific exceptions, foreign nationals who have been in any of the following countries during the past 14 days may not enter the United States. For a full list of exceptions, please refer to the relevant proclamations in the links below.

China
Iran
European Schengen area (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City)
United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland)
Republic of Ireland
Brazil

Seems to me, if you leave one of the areas and go to a "neutral" country for 14+ days, then you can enter the US??
Ireland it is!!!!

Reaction Score
Guessing NC football players think they are invincible and not subject to the laws of nature.
Next we will hear about suspending gravity... Sounds like Broadway songs coming on....

Reaction Score
Well, Michael Jordan did it - and explained it scientifically... (Listen 00:12 to 00:24)

I am still in school, Masters work in Biochemistry.... also continuing to teach dual credit chemistry and dual credit calculus-based physics (Classical Mechanics).
Mike & Spike are always a joy, but Mike would need 8000 m/s horizontal speed for low level Earth orbit, and 11, 200 m/s to manage going to the moon when it is momentarily in line with the Sun, but that is another story for another day. It was a center-of-mass thing of how he would lower his legs to maintain his hand height to remain above the rim. No arguing that he had tremendous leaping power to start the "space jam" - great "UPs" and high speed towards the net.... NEVER tired of his (super)human highlight reel [almost unreal?!?]....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom