NCAA allows D-I summer basketball activities starting July 20 | The Boneyard

NCAA allows D-I summer basketball activities starting July 20

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
By Jeff Borzello - ESPN Staff Writer

The NCAA Division I Council on Wednesday approved summer plans for men's and women's basketball, allowing required summer athletics activities to begin July 20. Currently, men's and women's basketball student-athletes can participate in voluntary activities and virtual nonphysical activities through the rest of June. From July 1-19, those voluntary nonphysical activities and strength and conditioning training can continue.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That is very encouraging news. Now if we can get the two young people in Eastern Europe on a plane and delivered to the UConn campus, things will be looking good. Then, I would like to hear from those that know how the practices are going and how things are coming together.

Reaction Score
Sad seeing other schools with their new recruits getting back in the gym, but not our Huskies.

Reaction Score
By Jeff Borzello - ESPN Staff Writer

The NCAA Division I Council on Wednesday approved summer plans for men's and women's basketball, allowing required summer athletics activities to begin July 20. Currently, men's and women's basketball student-athletes can participate in voluntary activities and virtual nonphysical activities through the rest of June. From July 1-19, those voluntary nonphysical activities and strength and conditioning training can continue.

"Back to school" could be a disaster waiting to happen. Interesting NYTimes article today:

- Colleges are deluding themselves, holding out hope for a return to in-person classes because financial ruin awaits if they don't.

- University leaders are not at all sure how it's going to work.

If you actually look at everything that has to happen right, starting up schools again will be much more difficult than just bringing sports back, which nobody has really figured out yet either.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It was reported today that UConn’s President is forecasting an annual revenue shortfall of $50 million from both a decline in enrollment as well as a decline in other sources of revenue, that is assuming that school does start up in the fall with the semester completed.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Before we get all excited about prospects for a new season...
The WaPO reports:
  • The NFL season is in jeopardy, according to the nation’s top public health expert, Anthony S. Fauci. “Unless players are essentially in a bubble ... it would be very hard to see how football is able to be played this fall,” he said on CNNThursday.

Reaction Score
In another post, I said I had made my rant for June, I was wrong.

Why are we treating COVID-19 like a death sentence for everyone? The statistics don't support it. In Virginia, the death rate for people under 60 is .33%. For people under 40 it is .06% and under 20 is 0%. I assume that most states have the same rates.

I believe Dr. Fauci said that the virus will not be defeated until there is herd immunity, which is 70%+ of people exposed. We are not even at 1% yet. I said back in March, that the sooner everyone gets exposed, the sooner it will be over. For the people banking on a vaccine, vaccines are usually only 60-70% effective, so that will give you a false sense of security.

On a positive note, my son started baseball practice last week. No masks, no social distancing, no nothing. Kids being normal kids. It was nice to see.

People assume risks every day. This should be no different.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Why are we treating COVID-19 like a death sentence for everyone? The statistics don't support it. In Virginia, the death rate for people under 60 is .33%. For people under 40 it is .06% and under 20 is 0%. I assume that most states have the same rates.

On a positive note, my son started baseball practice last week. No masks, no social distancing, no nothing. Kids being normal kids. It was nice to see.

Then there is the recent Florida case where 16 woman had a little post-corona get together and they all became infected and in some cases became unpleasantly ill...No one died.... yet...i suppose that's something

Of course Virginia is different from Florida.

And while it is likely that Johnny won't become seriously ill if he happens to catch it from a teammate...grandma at home might not be so lucky...

Sometimes Americans are really dumb and selfish. :)

Reaction Score
Texas announced today that 13 football players tested positive. So how is this really gonna work? NBA players are concerned about playing in a sterilized bubble. Doing something similar for college football would take a bubble the size of Ohio, plus no going to class (not that that would necessarily be a big change for the SEC, UNC, etc.)?

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score

I believe Dr. Fauci said that the virus will not be defeated until there is herd immunity, which is 70%+ of people exposed. We are not even at 1% yet. I said back in March, that the sooner everyone gets exposed, the sooner it will be over. For the people banking on a vaccine, vaccines are usually only 60-70% effective, so that will give you a false sense of security.

Terrible ideas are terrible.

Even if it doesn't kill someone, it can still leave them permanently harmed.

Even if it doesn't kill someone or leave them permanently harmed, they still might need hospitalization.

And if you do that all at once? Well, I wouldn't want to work at a hospital under those circumstances. People who might've survived otherwise wouldn't because healthcare wouldn't be available.

Say over the course of four weeks in late September and early October, 40% of the students on campus contracted it and showed symptoms. Of those, 10% required hospitalization. That's 900 to 1,000 students in the hospital when the hospitals are already dealing with the usual stuff AND COVID-19 among the public.

And that's completely omitting non-students on campus.

Reaction Score
Say over the course of four weeks in late September and early October, 40% of the students on campus contracted it and showed symptoms. Of those, 10% required hospitalization. That's 900 to 1,000 students in the hospital when the hospitals are already dealing with the usual stuff AND COVID-19 among the public.

The hospitalization rate for people under 20 is under 2%, not 10%. So 180 to 200 out of 25,000 students is not high at all. Any other time, this would barely make local news and would not make national news.

Reaction Score
Sad seeing other schools with their new recruits getting back in the gym, but not our Huskies.
Better safe than sorry Hoops. I think these young ladies have been working out on their own for awhile now. Just a matter of letting them start to meld.

Reaction Score
Before we get all excited about prospects for a new season...
The WaPO reports:
  • The NFL season is in jeopardy, according to the nation’s top public health expert, Anthony S. Fauci. “Unless players are essentially in a bubble ... it would be very hard to see how football is able to be played this fall,” he said on CNNThursday.
Considering the situation our country is in at this time professional sports should be somewhere near the bottom of the barrel if not underneath it. With the spike in food and other prices people are going to have to make some very hard decisions and deciding between a five dollar hot dog, a two dollar small bottle of water or a nine dollar beer should not be that difficult. I know that there are probably several bone yarders out there who are anxiously awaiting that first pitch but to be completely honest I have not heard one person say "I miss baseball".

Reaction Score
There will always be two factions on the COVID issue. Those who are in favor of moving on the best we can and those who want to wait until later. None of us will ever convince those in the other camp. Like current politics. Everyone knew opening up would produce more cases. Everyone. The hope was to not overwhelm resources. More opening in most places is associated with more testing. More testing will find more people who have or have had it. It will raise the numbers without actually raising actual rates generally. The world can't remain stagnant forever. At some point it must resume. You do your best, be as careful as possible, and go on. I'm not happy some schools are getting a head start on others. Doesn't seem fair. But then again there will likely be some that likely won't open this year. me, I'm moving on the best I can.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
The hospitalization rate for people under 20 is under 2%, not 10%. So 180 to 200 out of 25,000 students is not high at all. Any other time, this would barely make local news and would not make national news.

There are about 32,000 students at Storrs (graduate students are students, too). Two percent of that is 640 people. For all of them to go to the hospital over the course of a few weeks would absolutely be national news because it would mean something was phenomenally wrong on campus.

And you're still not thinking about the non-students on campus.

Here's what Johns Hopkins and the Mayo Clinic have to say about herd immunity.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There will always be two factions on the COVID issue. Those who are in favor of moving on the best we can and those who want to wait until later. None of us will ever convince those in the other camp. Like current politics. Everyone knew opening up would produce more cases. Everyone. The hope was to not overwhelm resources. More opening in most places is associated with more testing. More testing will find more people who have or have had it. It will raise the numbers without actually raising actual rates generally. The world can't remain stagnant forever. At some point it must resume. You do your best, be as careful as possible, and go on. I'm not happy some schools are getting a head start on others. Doesn't seem fair. But then again there will likely be some that likely won't open this year. me, I'm moving on the best I can.
I’m sorry, but attributing the rise in cases to more testing is just not accurate. NY State does more testing than anywhere on the planet. Yesterday alone NY performed 68,000 tests. The percent positive was 0.9%, or approximately 600 cases. While it’s true that many states are doing more testing, states like FL, AZ & TX are seeing positive cases soar to 3-6% of those tested. Yesterday alone, FL set another record with 3600 positive cases, eclipsing the mark of 2600 set 2 days earlier.

A second issue that is critical is the rate of hospitalization. People don’t end up at the hospital if they are asymptomatic or have a slight fever. NY’s hospitalization rate has fallen for roughly 60 days. States like FL and AZ are seeing increased hospitalization rates to the point where their hospitals are in danger of being overwhelmed. If hospital ICU’s are overwhelmed, people start dying in large numbers.

One final point is the rate of transmission. Anything over 1.0 means that one person with the virus can transmit it to more than one healthy person, and that also means that we are still battling the pandemic. States like TX, AZ, FL and others all have R-factors greater than 1.0. In comparison, NY’s current R-factor is approximately 0.7. Theoretically, if the R-factor remains below 1 long enough, the virus eventually disappears

Unfortunately, I am afraid there’s a long way to go before we put this virus behind us.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So true. Here in NYC, our numbers have been getting alot better but I am happy to report that in general (not counting young barhopping kids, Central Park abuses etc), just about everyone (> 90%) is wearing a mask. I think most of that is due to the self imposed requirement that most stores require you to wear a mask to enter. Hopefully, we will maintain our vigilance as we enter phase 2 on June 22. Can't wait to get my haircut. :)
New Yorkers deserve a great deal of credit for driving the positive results. It also helps when the governor hammers home the point of wearing masks over and over again every day. Cuomo has issued several executive orders mandating mask wearing in stores and restaurants. Just a few days ago he threatened to have the NY state liquor board pull the liquor license of any bar or restaurant that doesn’t enforce social distancing in their establishment.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
New Yorkers deserve a great deal of credit for driving the positive results. It also helps when the governor hammers home the point of wearing masks over and over again every day. Cuomo has issued several executive orders mandating mask wearing in stores and restaurants. Just a few days ago he threatened to have the NY state liquor board pull the liquor license of any bar or restaurant that doesn’t enforce social distancing in their establishment.

Did not know about the Executive orders. Still, we do have different level's of skirting the rules. Many restaurants are providing outside seating and service even though it is not allowed until Phase 2. Again, I hope we are not seduced by how well the numbers are in NYC (and the State as a whole)

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
So once again we start slipping into the rabbit hole. The discussion has left the focus of D-1 Summer Activities far behind. One toe dipping into the political river. If there is no further discussion directly pertinent to the NCAA allowing summer activities I will lock the thread.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom