NC State grabs No. Illinois coach | The Boneyard

NC State grabs No. Illinois coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A lot of ACC football fans may not have heard of Dave Doeren. But N.C. State athletic director Debbie Yow knows all about him, so Doeren is on his way to Raleigh.

Yow hired Doeren on Saturday as the Wolfpack's new football coach, grabbing a rising star who just led Northern Illinois to its second consecutive Mid-American Conference title. Doeren signed a five-year deal worth $1.8 million annually. N.C. State has a press conference scheduled for 4 p.m. Sunday to introduce the new coach, who turns 41 on Monday and will be the youngest coach in the ACC.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/12/01/2428461/north-carolina-state-hires-dave.html#storylink=cpy

Reaction Score
Yeah? Well we have Paul Pasqualoni. And that ole wily coyote is the all time winningest coach in the conference formerly known as the Big East. Course he might also be the losingest coach too. But don't let the facts get in the way. We got Paul. 18 more years and he reaches his 100th win at UConn. Just needs time to get his guys in. The competition is fierce out there. Everyday PPs got to go up against the StonyBrooks, Bowling Greens, Akrons, Syracuses, Western Connecticuts, and Cornells of the world. Gotta fight to get those 1 stars or not rated players. Relax Paul greatest strength after installing a high octane offense is bringing top recruiting classes that will make some SEC programs envious.

Reaction Score
And as goes the dysfunctional nature of the structure of college football, the coach abandons his team before their bowl game to head for greener pastures.

Reaction Score
Curious, who would be on UConn's short list say PP is fired (even though he won't be)? Wanted to see how much it would overlap with the BC names we're hearing/interviewing.

Your guess is as good as ours.

P, he's the new Spaz.

Reaction Score
If UConn's leaders think we are going to land in a different conference maybe they should hold on to PP until the move is announced. I'm not sure that a coach like this would leave the MAC to coach in the future Big East (if there is one). They should make a coaching change when there is the greatest opportunity to land a coach who can be successful. I don't want to just fire the coach only to find out that the canidates are limited due to the uncertainty of our situation. Then we hire a less than desirable coach only to be looking for another coach in a couple of years. Do you think Calhoun would have left Northeastern to coach UConn if we were still in the ECAC trying to get into the Big East?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
If UConn's leaders think we are going to land in a different conference maybe they should hold on to PP until the move is announced. I'm not sure that a coach like this would leave the MAC to coach in the future Big East (if there is one). They should make a coaching change when there is the greatest opportunity to land a coach who can be successful. I don't want to just fire the coach only to find out that the canidates are limited due to the uncertainty of our situation. Then we hire a less than desirable coach only to be looking for another coach in a couple of years. Do you think Calhoun would have left Northeastern to coach UConn if we were still in the ECAC trying to get into the Big East?

or u interview coaches and tell them what ur doing and make them sign a piece of paper that keeps them quiet.

Reaction Score
I guess there were a few guys available.

Doeren_Family.gif

Reaction Score

Like it or not, right now MAC to Big East is a lateral. I highly doubt we could get a coach from one of the top MAC/Conference USA schools.

Reaction Score
Money talks. Somebody mentioned in another thread that PP makes five times as much as the Kent State coach I think it was.

And no, the MAC is not on the same level as the BE. Offer any of those schools a BE invite and they would jump in a second, kind of like what C-USA is already doing.

Reaction Score
Like it or not, right now MAC to Big East is a lateral. I highly doubt we could get a coach from one of the top MAC/Conference USA schools.

Are you sure that a coach making 400k in the MAC wouldn't leave to go to UConn to make 1.5 million and coach in the Big East? You are bat schit crazy if this is how you think.

I do however believe that the same coach will leave UConn to go to a B1G or ACC school for 1.6 million in a heartbeat.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
  1. or u interview coaches and tell them what ur doing and make them sign a piece of paper that keeps them quiet.
    Hypothetically, they could be doing this right now and we wouldn't know anything about it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Are you sure that a coach making 400k in the MAC wouldn't leave to go to UConn to make 1.5 million and coach in the Big East? You are bat schit crazy if this is how you think.

I do however believe that the same coach will leave UConn to go to a B1G or ACC school for 1.6 million in a heartbeat.

Yes but do you believe they would bolt to the ACC for 1.49 million?

Reaction Score
And as goes the dysfunctional nature of the structure of college football, the coach abandons his team before their bowl game to head for greener pastures.

True. Sad too. But now maybe folks understand better why Randy couldn't say anything to anyone about going to the Terps. To have done so would have eliminated him from coaching in the Fiesta Bowl. Maryland probably delayed their announcement out of courtesy to RE so that he could coach UConn ... but insisted on "Breaking News" at his press conference. Hence the whole not saying good bye to team. Too much Tweeting and Txting time between Phoenix and College Park. But we could never understand that. It was like he'd left a bunch of cub scouts alone til their parents could pick them up. Hey, this is big time football, stuff happens.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
  1. Hypothetically, they could be doing this right now and we wouldn't know anything about it.

that would be a good thing but we need to fire the one now first

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
True. Sad too. But now maybe folks understand better why Randy couldn't say anything to anyone about going to the Terps. To have done so would have eliminated him from coaching in the Fiesta Bowl. Maryland probably delayed their announcement out of courtesy to RE so that he could coach UConn ... but insisted on "Breaking News" at his press conference. Hence the whole not saying good bye to team. Too much Tweeting and Txting time between Phoenix and College Park. But we could never understand that. It was like he'd left a bunch of cub scouts alone til their parents could pick them up. Hey, this is big time football, stuff happens.
I've been under the impression from day one that RE pulled what he did (acting as if it was an immediate thing that did not begin until after the Fiesta Bowl) solely to not lose out on the opportunity to coach that game. With that he undid a number of things that he had supposedly championed (accountability, integrity) throughout his time here. He should have manned up, accepted that if he was going to grab the brass ring (so to speak, the destination was Maryland after all) it may well have cost him the bowl game.

Reaction Score

That was my point by saying Big East is on par with the minor conferences. The Big East is now a minor conference. A young MAC coach on the rise isn't going to give the Big East the time of day.

Reaction Score
I would take Bill Cubit over what we have right now. How absurd is it that the guy who Western Michigan fired outcoached the guy our AD thinks needs more time.

The Western Michigan administration has higher standards then the UCONN administration.

Reaction Score
That was my point by saying Big East is on par with the minor conferences. The Big East is now a minor conference. A young MAC coach on the rise isn't going to give the Big East the time of day.

Bullcrap! The Kent State coach is making $300,000. We can triple his salary and he still would be making about half of what P is scheduled to make next year.

I bet George freaking DeLeone is making as much as the Kent State head coach.

Reaction Score
I've been under the impression from day one that RE pulled what he did (acting as if it was an immediate thing that did not begin until after the Fiesta Bowl) solely to not lose out on the opportunity to coach that game. With that he undid a number of things that he had supposedly championed (accountability, integrity) throughout his time here. He should have manned up, accepted that if he was going to grab the brass ring (so to speak, the destination was Maryland after all) it may well have cost him the bowl game.

Wasn't gonna happen. I am/was never a RE fan. . . Couldn't recruit, boring offense, didn't know what a QB looked like after Dan O . . . but I'll defend him on this one. He absolutely deserved to coach that game (and ended up doing a crappy job . . . nice call on that fourth and a foot), but it was rightfully his. If that meant a bunch of 21 years olds had their feelings hurt. . . Too bad. This is big boy sports, not little league.

Reaction Score

You could not be more incorrect. A young MAC coach will leave his 400k dollar job in a second for a job in the NNNNNNNNNNBE making over 1 million. No doubt about it.

The problem is that if it is between the BE and ACC making the same dough, he goes to the ACC. I think this is what your getting at. If that's the case, your correct.

Reaction Score
Bullcrap! The Kent State coach is making $300,000. We can triple his salary and he still would be making about half of what P is scheduled to make next year.

I bet George freaking DeLeone is making as much as the Kent State head coach.

The Kent State coach is going to get strong interest from big conferences. If a team in a big conference offers him the same amount as UCONN, I can assure you he is going to the other team.

Reaction Score
You could not be more incorrect. A young MAC coach will leave his 400k dollar job in a second for a job in the NNNNNNNNNNBE making over 1 million. No doubt about it.

The problem is that if it is between the BE and ACC making the same dough, he goes to the ACC. I think this is what your getting at. If that's the case, your correct.

We don't disagree. A MAC coach will definitely go for a a huge raise. But we can't compete with the bigger conferences for these guys. We have to identify an up and comer that no one in the other big conferences will want. If not, we lose out 10 out of 10 times.

We need to look at the 1-AA ranks for the up and comers right now. And there is nothing wrong with that. Chip Kelly, Brian Kelly, and Jim Tressel did alright when they got their shots.

Reaction Score
I'd have to think the college athletics landscape now recognizes the Big East as being the graduation step to the "Power 5" conferences now. It even seems that's why it started out, looking back at it's origins now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom