Votes: 44 62.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So here it is, what you have been waiting for, the final two UCONN NC teams. The chance to once and for all determine which UCONN team is the greatest. Vote early and vote often.

Team 2002 vs Team 2016

Team 2002
Sue Bird SR
Tamika Williams SR
Swin Cash SR
Ashja Jones SR
Diana Taurasi SO
Maria Conlon SO
Morgan Valley SO
Ashley Battle FR-r/s
Jessica Moore FR-r/s
Ashley Valley FR
Stacey Marron FR

Team 2016
Breanna Stewart SR
Moriah Jefferson SR
Briana Pulido Sr
Morgan Tuck JR-r/s
Saniya Chong JR
Tierney Lawlor JR
Kia Nurse SO
Gabby Williams SO
Courtney Ekmark SO
Natalie Butler SO - r/s
Katie Lou Samuelson FR
Napheesa Collier FR

Reaction Score
Would be a great game to see. I think the edge goes to 2016. 2016 has better ball movement and the defense would the would give them the edge. The match ups would be fun to watch, Mo on Sue, Kia on D. Who is going to guard Stewie and Morgan? I don't see Williams, Jones and Cash being able to stay with them on the outside. I can't wait to read every ones take on this one.

Reaction Score
Oh the same team that lost to ND in the NC semi... and what's that girl's name that shot 0 for 13 or something like that!!!

Definitely 2016 team.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Oh the same team that lost to ND in the NC semi... and what's that girl's name that shot 0 for 13 or something like that!!!

Definitely 2016 team.
That was the team the year before - Dee's freshman year.

Reaction Score
Would be an unbelievable game!
'02 '16
PG Bird v MoJeff Advantage EVEN
SG DT v Nurse Advantage DT a legend
SF Jones v KLS Advantage EVEN Jones power v KLS finese
PF Cash v Stewie Advantage Stewie more moveable player
C Williams v Tuck Advantage Tuck slightly

SUBS:
Conlon Gabby tough forward for 2002 to guard
M. Valley Collier can play PF/SF
A. Valley Chong can give some reliable minutes at PG/SG

2016 would win the game with their bench! Too many guns!
2002 redshirts Battle & Moore will become really good players but now unavailable!
Conlon only 1/2 way reliable sub for 2002!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Would be an unbelievable game!
'02 '16
PG Bird v MoJeff Advantage EVEN
SG DT v Nurse Advantage DT a legend
SF Jones v KLS Advantage EVEN Jones power v KLS finese
PF Cash v Stewie Advantage Stewie more moveable player
C Williams v Tuck Advantage Tuck slightly

SUBS:
Conlon Gabby tough forward for 2002 to guard
M. Valley Collier can play PF/SF
A. Valley Chong can give some reliable minutes at PG/SG

2016 would win the game with their bench! Too many guns!
2002 redshirts Battle & Moore will become really good players but now unavailable!
Conlon only 1/2 way reliable sub for 2002!
I largely agree with you except for one thing. Jones as a SR IMHO is superior to KLS as a freshman. Jones is a future Olympian and as a senior was just terrific. I'd give a fairly large edge to Jones in that matchup. And I'd give a slight edge to Bird over Moriah - mainly because Bird is such a masterful floor general. But she would be exposed by Mo's speed and help defense on the blow-by's would be necessary. Lastly, I'd give SR Tuck more than a slight advantage over Williams - Tamika was a force on offense rarely missing around the basket, but Tuck is more mobile and has an outside shot that Williams never had. Just my $.02.

Lastly, I totally agree that the bench in 2016 is superior. With Moore and Battle red shirted, the subs off the bench for 2002 were a big drop off from the starters.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
but Tuck is more mobile and has an outside shot that Williams never had. Just my $.02.
Tuck was certainly not "more mobile" than Williams. Actually quite significantly less mobile. Williams was a very good perimeter defender for her size. IIRC, she was occasionally used at the top of the press.

However, yes Tuck had a lot (lot) more range on her shot. But when you own the NCAA record for FG% in the paint like Williams did (does) why bother moving out to the arc? Williams -Tuck would be a very good matchup.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Team 2016 should win with superior team defense.

I don't buy the various one-vs.-one comparisons because we are not discussing some variation of H-O-R-S-E. It's a team game at both ends of the court and the 2016 "D" was the best ever. They were superior collectively while featuring exceptional individual defenders like Stewie, Mo, Kia and Gabby.

They also could put the ball in the basket. Often.;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tuck was certainly not "more mobile" than Williams. Actually quite significantly less mobile. Williams was a very good perimeter defender for her size. IIRC, she was occasionally used at the top of the press.

However, yes Tuck had a lot (lot) more range on her shot. But when you own the NCAA record for FG% in the paint like Williams did (does) why bother moving out to the arc? Williams -Tuck would be a very good matchup.
I guess by more mobile I meant 2 things. Ability to get out and drain mid range and deep shots, and a variety of post moves that I don't ever recall Williams possessing. Tuck's ability to roll around defenders, and even move under the basket for reverse layups, was not something I recall Williams having in her arsenal. What she did have was a strong body and ample posterior that she used with ease to back other players down create easy layups.

Reaction Score
I seem to remember that Battle and Moore played in 2002 as they were redshirted the season before so in reality the bench of 2002 is pretty good but the 2016 bench is better with Gaby and Phee. The starting 5's are fairly equal even as I think that 2002 will have major problems with the speed of Mo, Stewie's length and Tuck's versatility. DT of 2002 was still not the DT of 2003 and 2004 and 2016 Geno was a better coach than the 2002 Geno :)

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Both Moore and Battle played on the '02 team. They combined to average 35 minutes and both played in all 39 games.

Jones > KLS. Eventually, KLS might be better but this matchup? Jones was really mobile.

Williams and Tuck are even. Williams would do a great job guarding Tuck.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I guess by more mobile I meant 2 things. Ability to get out and drain mid range and deep shots, and a variety of post moves that I don't ever recall Williams possessing. Tuck's ability to roll around defenders, and even move under the basket for reverse layups, was not something I recall Williams having in her arsenal. What she did have was a strong body and ample posterior that she used with ease to back other players down create easy layups.
Ok, I was looking at mobility from probably mostly a defensive point of view. Or just straight athleticism.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Ok, I was looking at mobility from probably mostly a defensive point of view. Or just straight athleticism.
I think you are right on that account. Now that I think about it, didn't Geno often send her out on the perimeter to defend players there because she was so good? Maybe the comparison between her and Morgan is more even. 2002 seems so long ago!

Reaction Score
Both Moore and Battle played on the '02 team. They combined to average 35 minutes and both played in all 39 games.

Jones > KLS. Eventually, KLS might be better but this matchup? Jones was really mobile.

Williams and Tuck are even. Williams would do a great job guarding Tuck.
As I recall it, Williams averaged 20 minutes per game in 2002 because of back issues. The comparison perhaps should be Willams/Moore vs. Tuck. I think Tuck has the advantage either way.

Reaction Score
2016 was a better defensive team. When Moriah, Kiah and Gabby were on the court at the same time, it was like something I had not seen at the college level. 2002 could not match their speed and athleticism.

2016 was unique because they started five players who were three-point shooters. That stretched out defenses and created more opportunities inside.

Reaction Score
Wow, surprised how many people chose the 2016 team. They are winning comfortably in the voting. As everyone has said, 2016 definitely has a better bench. Top to bottom starters, 2002 IMO has a clear edge. The 2 greatest players in Uconn history Diana vs Stewie. Great match up. Would pay ungodly amounts to watch this game. But, in the end, last possession with the game on the line, I trust Diana to bring it home over any player.

2002 wins at the buzzer by a ridiculous shot by Diana.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
2016 is ahead by a decent margin here. Make sure to get your votes in.

Reaction Score
2016 has no one to stop DT and 2002 has no one to stop Stewie. That's it.....it's a tie and they all go to Geno's Grille to celebrate.
The lens of history and legend - how much does it affect this kind of comparison? In 2002 DT was not NPOY, or first team AA, or the best player on her team. She did not win Final Four MOP; that honor went to Swin Cash. Diana was not the player as a sophomore that Breanna was as a senior.

Reaction Score
The lens of history and legend - how much does it affect this kind of comparison?

Really don't care.....I voted in every poll up to this one. I'm not voting in this one and I made a comment that reflected that. You want to replace DT with Cash go right ahead.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
2016 is ahead by a decent margin here. Make sure to get your votes in.
I'm kind of bummed - I thought it would be closer. Still, I think recent memory wins out for a lot of people - but it appears most think the 2016 was the greatest NC team ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom