NBPirate- ECU Question | The Boneyard

NBPirate- ECU Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
First things first- glad to have you here. Please excuse some of our more brash members as they don't make up the majority of us. As long as you continue to contribute to conversations in a productive manner and a non trolling way, you'll learn pretty quickly that we're nice people. It will be good to have another conference member represented on the board (@UofMemphis has been a great addition on both the bball and football boards).

My question for you is this- Can you give us a quick synopsis of the ECU program right now? A brief history, what the fan base is saying about the conference, what we can expect come October when we visit Greenville, etc? I'm from Charlotte so I'm pretty familiar with the program but it will be fun and informative for everyone on here as we get to know more about our conference and conference mates.

Thanks again and welcome to the board.

Reaction Score
Hey I posted too! I don't care if you want my info or not, I'm giving it to you. Fair warning, I can write a lot about ECU. It's probably going to seem like I'm embellishing the pirates, but I promise to give you the rundown from a neutral standpoint. I'm a very impartial person (even though I love the ECU to death). This might be a long read so I'll try to break it up into sections within my post.

PS- Some of our worst posters are the loudest on Csnbbs. Most of the solid posters stick to the ECU boards because they know that place tends to be bunch of arguing. NBPirate is a good guy. Some mistake his light-hearted jokes for bashing, but he's a solid poster.

Reaction Score
Hey I posted too! I don't care if you want my info or not, I'm giving it to you. Fair warning, I can write a lot about ECU. It's probably going to seem like I'm embellishing the pirates, but I promise to give you the rundown from a neutral standpoint. I'm a very impartial person (even though I love the ECU to death). This might be a long read so I'll try to break it up into sections within my post.

PS- Some of our worst posters are the loudest on Csnbbs. Most of the solid posters stick to the ECU boards because they know that place tends to be bunch of arguing. NBPirate is a good guy. Some mistake his light-hearted jokes for bashing, but he's a solid poster.

That wasn't a long read at all. Wait until you come across Carl Spackler.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the welcome Drew. Brief history -- well, I'll keep it brief. ECU for its history has always been really good in spurts, then lost its coach. 1980's - top 25 team that lost coach. 1991 - finished #9 ranking and Peach Bowl win, lost coach. Late 90's - beat USC, Miami, West Virginia, and Syracuse in the same year, next year had a down period, fanbase ran coach out of town. Same thing with Skip Holtz in the late 2000's when he left for USF after reaching top 25 standings in the polls and demolishing Pat White led WVU. Luckily, we have an alumni coach now in Ruffin McNeil who will not leave. Finished 10-3 last year and raped UNC and NC State along the way.

Night games at ECU are generally really, really amped. Although this is a Thursday night non-marquee game, so I'm not sure really. Probably around 42-46k, a little less than normal, but still feisty.

Lastly, the fanbase is excited about the conference. Mostly just because we know we caught the last boat leaving the dumpster fire that CUSA has become. Its been a long and arduous 20 years of trying to get into the Big East. We like who we're associated with now, but we won't stop growing and striving for excellence.\

Attendance will be over 50,000 this year. Expansion to 60k in next 5.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I
Thanks for the welcome Drew. Brief history -- well, I'll keep it brief. ECU for its history has always been really good in spurts, then lost its coach. 1980's - top 25 team that lost coach. 1991 - finished #9 ranking and Peach Bowl win, lost coach. Late 90's - beat USC, Miami, West Virginia, and Syracuse in the same year, next year had a down period, fanbase ran coach out of town. Same thing with Skip Holtz in the late 2000's when he left for USF after reaching top 25 standings in the polls and demolishing Pat White led WVU. Luckily, we have an alumni coach now in Ruffin McNeil who will not leave. Finished 10-3 last year and raped UNC and NC State along the way.

Night games at ECU are generally really, really amped. Although this is a Thursday night non-marquee game, so I'm not sure really. Probably around 42-46k, a little less than normal, but still feisty.

Lastly, the fanbase is excited about the conference. Mostly just because we know we caught the last boat leaving the dumpster fire that CUSA has become. Its been a long and arduous 20 years of trying to get into the Big East. We like who we're associated with now, but we won't stop growing and striving for excellence.

This league is a much nice dumpster fire.

Reaction Score
When UConn was playing Yankee Conference schedules and OOC's against Southern and Central Connecticut, ECU had schedules in the 80's that included; NCST, WVU, Auburn, PennSt, Miami, South Carolina in the same year, played LSU... National level stuff.

Reaction Score
The rundown:

Fan base: ECU has some really passionate fans. Eastern North Carolina is dominated by ECU fans (we've got the surveys to back it up) but ECU fans are also prevalent in the rest of the state (not nearly as much once you get west of Burlington). We even draw more viewers than NC State does in Raleigh when on similar TV stations.

Football: Expanded the stadium to 50k in 2010. Average attendances have been 49,665 (2010), 50,012 (2011), 47,013 (2012), and 43,985 (2013). Prior to that we typically had decent attendance. Capacity was only 43k but we made do. The tailgating is excellent, we cook pigs, seafood, enjoy drinks, and fly a lot of ECU flags. Typically around 4-5k tailgaters linger in the lots throughout the game- when big teams like NC State or UNC come to down we may even have as many as 10-20k people (with the help of their fans of course) remain at tailgate because it's sold out/such a fun time.

FB Coaches: Ruffin' McNeill is pure class. He's an ECU alumnus who exemplifies what a true pirate should be. Very smart man, great recruiter and knows his football. That's not to say he's perfect. I'd say his downfall is that he's almost too nice. One example is our old DC, Brian Mitchell. Ruff probably kept him around a year longer than he should have and it's cost our defense. Thankfully, he made the smart, yet difficult choice. Our OC is Lincoln Riley who has had to learn on the job. He's become a great air-raid OC and Ruff gives him a lot of responsibility. He resisted the call to bigger programs after last season, but if we have another amazing year on O I think he's gone. DC is Rick Smith who will be in his second year, and we should see solid improvement.

Offense: Our O will be lead by Sr. QB Shane Carden, who some say is a darkhorse Heisman candidate. I think Carden has a lot of work to do if he wants to get real attention. Some say he's NFL bound, but I think he's been a product of the system- not to say he's not good, he obviously has a lot of talent to do what he does. He is a workhorse though and rumor has it that he's been working on his weaknesses all summer, we'll see how he looks (I have confidence in his work ethic). We also return some great WRs including former walk-on stud, Justin Hardy. Our OL is questionable, however we did get two big time JUCO commits in school this summer (had excellent offers, great tape). If they pull through, we should be okay. If not, all of Carden and Hardy's work is in jeopardy. Run game is questionable but we've got some great recruits waiting in the wings.

D: Lost a lot of starters this off season (number changes depending where you look-it's tricky but I'll elaborate if anyone's interested), We will be hurting for experience at LB and DE. Honestly, I haven't kept up with the defense too seriously because it seems like our expectations are constantly changing. Some of the fans are really divided here. I think it will take time to adjust to the AAC. It's unfortunate Rick Smith's first year as DC was in a watered-down CUSA, so the numbers may be inflated.

Recruiting: Under Ruff we've had some solid recruiting classes. A lot of talent is under evaluated in Eastern NC. I'd imagine it's the same way in CT. We're lucky that we have a great S&C coach who takes these "diamonds in the rough" and turns them into legitimate players. Under Skip Holtz we relied on a lot of JUCOS...Ruffin' has done a solid job bringing in four year players.

We can generally play with the big boys, we've won some big games, but also have quite a few "wtf" losses. It is what it is, and goes with the territory when you're a pirate fan.

Basketball:

Historically we've stunk it up in round ball. Jeff Lebo starts his fifth year this year and has brought ECU unprecedented success. However, what he's done here won't look impressive to anyone who hasn't followed ECU basketball. We've had some shotty luck with transfers, quitters, having to rely on JUCOS, getting the team to gel, etc. I'd say the guys coming in are one of the most talented teams i've seen at ECU. One freshman was a top 100 player when he committed (maybe the 2nd in history), we've got a 4* transfer from FSU (who started) coming in this year, and we've got some other talented players who've been working their way up. Last year we lacked big men and depth, this year we add big guys as well as a couple of shooters. I personally think it will take a while for this team to gel. Lebo is a smart coach, but for whatever reason forgoes the obvious choice (see Akeem Richmond's first season here). I think this will be a great team for ECU standards, but nothing special for the rest of the country. I'm thinking RPI around the 100 mark.

We've never really cared as a school, but the fans are hungry for basketball. We've grown up around Duke, UNC, and NC State fans, and it's annoying not having a solid program. We just finished a $17M practice facility and are doing minor renovations to our arena. We'll sell out for UConn, and if we're winning we'll provide a great atmosphere all season.

Baseball:

The baseball team has seen some pretty solid success in the past 15 or so years. Since 1999 we've made 12 regionals and 3 super regionals. We just hired another coach (same last name as the previous) who is an ECU alumnus with great experience as an assistant at other programs. He's been responsible for bringing in top 20 recruiting classes pretty much everywhere he has coached. We're ecstatic about his hire and are expecting to be a top 25 program. The guy is smart, and an absolute workhorse.

WBB:

We've generally had a decent WBB team. We've lost some players from last years NIT squad, but I think we should be in the top third of the conference.

Other:

One of our best chancellors ever, Dr. Leo Jenkins, saw that football and medicine were the future. We have a strong medical school here at ECU (typically ranked in the top 15 for primary care, unranked for research). Anyway, the reason our basketball has been so lame is because he placed this emphasis on football (seeing that the tobacco road school had NC basketball cornered) to build a large fan base, because he thought that would get us further than basketball would.

Speaking of Skip, we lost something like 32 letter men when he left. He wasn't a strong recruiter and left the cupboard bare. If you look at Ruff's first two seasons, you see the record wasn't so hot. I think it's a combo of our old DC and having to rebuild the team. We may be at the point where we are reloading instead of rebuilding, so we'll see how it goes from here.

I feel like I'm leaving a good bit out, but this is already too much. Bottom line is FB: should have a decent crowd all season, team will be tough but probably not world-beaters. MBKB: May have one of the best teams ECU has ever had, shouldn't be overlooked, but won't be anything special- last year we did hold Duke until the end of the game. BB: Praying Godwin has an amazing first year, we'll see. I'm thinking he will. WBB: Should be decent, possibly an NIT team.

Edit: Maybe I embellished a bit. I'll tell you that the weaknesses in every sport are going to be inexperience (in some cases, like basketball, experienced players meshing with the newer players-same with the linemen in FB--individually they're probably alright). The coaching should be solid. As a fan base we need to do more to get young graduates to join the Pirate club and increase donations. We could do a better job on recruiting (especially BB)and I'm hoping the AAC will change that. Our OC is vulnerable to poaching and if we don't make another quality hire, it could hurt. In state we do have a large presence but basketball is heavily overshadowed by UNC/Duke. We do really well from Raleigh to the coast but need to expand further beyond the NC borders.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When UConn was playing Yankee Conference schedules and OOC's against Southern and Central Connecticut, ECU had schedules in the 80's that included; NCST, WVU, Auburn, PennSt, Miami, South Carolina in the same year, played LSU... National level stuff.

I always thought of ECU as being like another VT. They just needed one transcendent Michael Vick type player to bump them up into the next tier.

Reaction Score

Back in the days of 11 games ECU could typically be found with 5-6-7 teams that are now P5. Usually had USM (have always been tough) and maybe a Cincy type of team to go along. SC wasn't the same as they are now, but tough nonetheless.

Keep in mind we did get spanked in many big games, but had our fair share of wins. Some seasons we were just so close but never quite crossed the finish line. Take 1983 for example, lost to #5 Miami by 5, #6 FL by 7, and #7 FSU by 1. Beat everyone else though (including two teams who are no P5).

Reaction Score
I always thought of ECU as being like another VT. They just needed one transcendent Michael Vick type player to bump them up into the next tier.

Jeff Blake was almost that guy for us. We thought Chris Johnson could be, but he didn't really blossum until his rookie season in the NFL.

Reaction Score
Jeff Blake was almost that guy for us. We thought Chris Johnson could be, but he didn't really blossum until his rookie season in the NFL.

If I remember correctly we almost landed Chris Johnson.

Reaction Score
Yep. Only offers were ECU and UConn due to a broken leg his senior year.

Our offer must not have been committable. Either that or academics.

(I don't expect you to get the joke, so I'll state that's what we always hear when we beat out BC for a recruit)

Reaction Score
Same thing we hear from Chapel Hill, which given recent news concerning academics with their athletes, is laughable.

They're unbelievable. I was talking to an MBA student with an undergrad from Crapel hill who said "If ECU wants to be respected they need to stop talking all of those non-qualifiers." I just gave him the death stare and said "we don't have any and will not have any going forward...."

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

Sorry for missing your post! Welcome aboard. As crazy as it seems this conference is starting to feel more and more like home and it makes it a lot more bearable when smart, interesting posters from other conference mates come here and engage in interesting discussions.

Reaction Score
Sorry for missing your post! Welcome aboard. As crazy as it seems this conference is starting to feel more and more like home and it makes it a lot more bearable when smart, interesting posters from other conference mates come here and engage in interesting discussions.

Flattering. We know the feeling, when we see P5 teams TV who have fallen off, empty stadiums (like Pitt, Miami, whoever), etc. we think "why are we in a conference with schools that barely draw 10k to a football game, and don't have a strong donor base?" -in CUSA anyway. The American is a big step up, but it still stings when we think of all the support we've had without being in a power conference, and schools like Wake and Wazzu reap the benefits of association.

Anyway, hope it gets better for y'all. Like I (think I) said in another post, .it seems like all of the schools are trying to really build up their programs. I believe y'all just finished a mens basketball practice facility? So did Memphis, so did we, UH/Tulane are building new FB stadiums, ECU, Tulane and USF have all made solid baseball hires, UH hired a legitimate basketball coach, Tulsa hired Frank Haith (questionable), y'alls new coach will turn UConn fb around, Ollie is amazing, SMU has Larry Johnson, UCF is primed in fb, the list goes on.

Could you imagine if the American first formed in 2011 or 2012? A two year reset on all of these programs would be disastrous. It could always be better, but could certainly be worse....not sure if that actually helps.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
SMU has Larry Johnson
It's Larry Brown but who's counting...:rolleyes: Welcome aboard. ECU was one school I always thought would help the football side of things when the Big East was formed. You'll be welcomed more on this board then the bball board. In all honesty, you probably should stay away from there because while the AAC isn't horrible for football, it's not so great for basketball, considering what we had in the Big East.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Welcome ECU fans! I was excited that the American added ECU football. I admit to not knowing too much about the Pirate program but I have seen a few games on TV that you've played against WVU and Va Tech (I think). In one of those games I remember a blocked punt for a TD and the stadium went nuts. I have been sold on ECU football ever since. I think ECU has a good chance of winning the conference in its first year here.

Our program is in full rebuild mode. Three years of Paul Pasqualoni will do that to you. We are all excited about Bob Diaco and his staff and his first official recruiting class that he's assembling thus far. It's probably going to take a little time to get our program back to where it was before Pasqualoni, but I hope we can give you guys a good game at your place this year and an even better one at ours next season.

Welcome ECU!

Reaction Score
UCFBfan, I promise I knew that. Lebo and Brown played for the same coach (who will not be named- but its incredible to me given the age difference). ECU fans generally know their basketball despite being bad. We've had to live with ACC fans all of our lives. I'm young, so I get tripped up a bit on the crowd I never watched play.Thanks for the tip..i'll steer clear of the basketball board. I really hope UConn can help us build our program (just by association). It would be nice to get some of the recruits that would have typically gone to the C7. Like I said, we're really just starting to invest in basketball, thankfully Terry Holland made sure of that before he retired as AD. It blows my mind that we will have two four stars playing next year and just offered a 5* from near by (would've never previously gone after those recruits). I bet he'll end up at UNC (barf), but we can dream.

Dooley, Thanks! those were great games. You're referring to 2008, ECU just came off of a bowl win against a ranked boise state, and then I think back to back wins against #17 VT and #8 WVU, then we turned around and freakin blew it to NC State in OT- still bitter about that. --- At least I got to be a part of this last year(best enjoyed at full volume): (PS, all of that red stuff is seats). Not sure that we'll win the AAC, but as long as we have Ruff at the helm and some competent coordinators, I think we'll be a decent team. We usually miss one puzzle piece.

I hope Diaco can turn it around for you. I know our fans will give you a good atmosphere, and we should give you a good game. Kind of stinks it's on a Thursday but we'll make up for it with energy. I look forward to making the trip up there when we play. I like "the rent," it's a good looking stadium. Y'all should have things trending upwards or turned around by then, so I'm sure it will be a good game. I saw someone say y'all have the best tailgating, well...I'll just have to judge that one for myself. Hopefully some of y'all can make it down, there's one husky car I frequently see driving around Greenville, I think it's a prof.

Good luck this year!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Welcome aboard IP8! My wife and I will be in Greenville on 10/23 for the Thursday night game. I saw one of our friends sons in church (yes some of us go to church too up here! How else do you think UCoNN wins all those championships!) his son had a purple ECU shirt on. He said he's enjoying college life in Greenville!

Here is Mike Aresco's letter welcoming in ECU, Tulsa,Tulane and also the Naval Academy. http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2014/07/american_athletic_conference_w.html

Reaction Score
Welcome aboard IP8! My wife and I will be in Greenville on 10/23 for the Thursday night game. I saw one of our friends sons in church (yes some of us go to church too up here! How else do you think UCoNN wins all those championships!) his son had a purple ECU shirt on. He said he's enjoying college life in Greenville!

Here is Mike Aresco's letter welcoming in ECU, Tulsa,Tulane and also the Naval Academy. http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2014/07/american_athletic_conference_w.html

Well I hope you enjoy the game, Greenville's a college town through and through. If you're not meeting up with your friends you should meet some of the Pirate club crowd, I know several who love entertaining visitors at tailgate. Being a Thursday night game the students will be out in full force, and may be a little wild...but they (we) mostly make noise just to make noise. It should be a great game. And an ECU shirt in church? Oh no haha. I assumed everyone north Baltimore wore full suits :D.

Reaction Score

Lastly, the fanbase is excited about the conference. Mostly just because we know we caught the last boat leaving the dumpster fire that CUSA has become. Its been a long and arduous 20 years of trying to get into the Big East. We like who we're associated with now, but we won't stop growing and striving for excellence.\

Attendance will be over 50,000 this year. Expansion to 60k in next 5.
Love the excitement conveyed in you're post and fact you appreciate the AAC. You guys seem like a great add in FB and a shot in the arm...its contagious! I always thought you guys were under appreciated in CR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom