NBCsn channel - days numbered | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NBCsn channel - days numbered

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Celtics games in CT on NBC Boston Sports. Going elsewhere or to peacock? Just like it’s hard to find NESN now for Sox games. Terrible.

This has nothing to do with regional sports networks. It's the national NBC Sports Network.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think a smart strategic move. Nbcsn is such a niche channel, moving the content to USA is a good decision. It will get more viability there.

I never went to the network. I do go to the app for streaming and assuming that won’t change.

I just don’t see how taking a supposedly successful channel like USA with its drama audience and bumping those eyeballs off on select evenings and weekends for a different live sports audience is going to work on a regular basis. Basically they are recreating old fashion network tv format -I guess. I can only surmise that they also see USA as having content creation challenges in the years ahead, so this sort of plugs that potential hole, albeit with a different audience. Seems sort of branding challenged.

I guess this is perhaps the first of many future channel consolidations in the linear tv space in order to respond to declining subscriber revenue and ad sales. And maybe they already know they wont be in position to win more live content in the years ahead because Amazon, Google, etc are about to jump into the fray, so might as well get on with a transition/migration while you still have some sort of brand and content.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Celtics games in CT on NBC Boston Sports. Going elsewhere or to peacock? Just like it’s hard to find NESN now for Sox games. Terrible.
1250 or say "Red Sox" into the remote. NESN comes right up.

Reaction Score
I'm in the NYC market (Norwalk), but I know NBC Sports Network is how people pull SNY out of market. Wonder how this will affect displaced Mets fans?
The Mets have fans?

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
This has nothing to do with regional sports networks. It's the national NBC Sports Network.
Thanks. I didn’t realize that. Looks like USA is going to get a decent bump in sports.

Reaction Score
I just don’t see how taking a supposedly successful channel like USA with its drama audience and bumping those eyeballs off on select evenings and weekends for a different live sports audience is going to work on a regular basis. Basically they are recreating old fashion network tv format -I guess. I can only surmise that they also see USA as having content creation challenges in the years ahead, so this sort of plugs that potential hole, albeit with a different audience. Seems sort of branding challenged.

I guess this is perhaps the first of many future channel consolidations in the linear tv space in order to respond to declining subscriber revenue and ad sales. And maybe they already know they wont be in position to win more live content in the years ahead because Amazon, Google, etc are about to jump into the fray, so might as well get on with a transition/migration while you still have some sort of brand and content.
I've spent many hours watching movies on USA and sports on NBCSN so from a branding perspective I thought they had done very well. And due to other services I haven't watched USA much lately so you are probably right about consolidations and responding to the market. Putting sports programming on USA seems like a really bad move though.

I did not know this:
USA Network (on-air simply as USA, stylized as usa since 2005) is an American basic cable channel owned by the NBCUniversal Television and Streaming division of NBCUniversal, a subsidiary of Comcast. It was originally launched in 1977 as Madison Square Garden Sports Network, one of the first national sports cable television channels, before being relaunched as USA Network in 1980.

Reaction Score
hockey on NBC just doesn’t quite hit the same without Doc Emrick

Reaction Score
Hockey did not catch on like they hoped. With Comcast, it's always about revenue and ratings.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Hockey did not catch on like they hoped. With Comcast, it's always about revenue and ratings.
Well without ratings you can’t sell the ads at prices needed to pay for production.

Reaction Score
prem league is moving to USA network so no harm done.

but are they dissolving all the regional nbc sports channels too?? those have the local broadcasts of nba games. depending on where i was living i always watched NBCSN Boston, Bay Area, and now Northwest. I wouldnt have been able to listen to Tommy Heinsohn otherwise.
Soccer, I hear is going to a paywall on Peacock.

Local RSN'S have zero to do with this.

Reaction Score
Yeah, just gonna be strange finding sports content on USA on a regular basis rather than overflow basis. Guess the rest will go behind a paywall on Peacock.

The problem for sports behind secondary paywalls is that it makes it harder to grow the sport with the causal viewer.

Early 80's USA had sports.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
FYI: If you are in a position where you have to pay for Peacock Premium and have an AMEX card, they have a current offer where they will rebate you $4.99 per month for the next 3 months if you pay with AMEX. Making it effectively free. You need to opt in first. I hate Peacock but I'm in for the next 3 months. And now that includes Wrestlemania!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom