NBCsn channel - days numbered | The Boneyard

NBCsn channel - days numbered

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
As a near middle age dude that still enjoys my full cable package and semi dumb HD tvs, the end is near

Reaction Score
prem league is moving to USA network so no harm done.

but are they dissolving all the regional nbc sports channels too?? those have the local broadcasts of nba games. depending on where i was living i always watched NBCSN Boston, Bay Area, and now Northwest. I wouldnt have been able to listen to Tommy Heinsohn otherwise.

Last edited:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I didn't read the article but my guess is they'll put it all on Peacock and make you pay for it that way.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Great. Now where will I watch Curling on Friday nights?
Apparently Olympic channel and Golf channel will remain as linear channels.... for now.
I actually watch the skiing and other odd winter sports on Olympic rather regularly. I swear I have to be of a 100.

Reaction Score
This is strange - they just built a huge campus in Stamford and moved all golf channel jobs there.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Apparently Olympic channel and Golf channel will remain as linear channels.... for now.
I actually watch the skiing and other odd winter sports on Olympic rather regularly. I swear I have to be of a 100.
Make that 2 of 100. I'll put on Super G, Downhill and Ski Jump in the background if I'm bored. I can't stand Slalom but the other stuff? heck yeah. Same for Bobsled and Skeleton.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Make that 2 of 100. I'll put on Super G, Downhill and Ski Jump in the background if I'm bored. I can't stand Slalom but the other stuff? heck yeah. Same for Bobsled and Skeleton.
Yep, I watch that stuff - all of it. I even watch 30 mins of biathlon from time to time. Fine background stuff to cooking or surfing the net. The ski scenery can be amazing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yep, I watch that stuff - all of it. I even watch 30 mins of biathlon from time to time. Fine background stuff to cooking or surfing the net. The ski scenery can be amazing.

Well, I draw the line at those events. No cross country skiing or biathlon for me.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The content will still be somewhere, just not on NBCSN.
Yeah, just gonna be strange finding sports content on USA on a regular basis rather than overflow basis. Guess the rest will go behind a paywall on Peacock.

The problem for sports behind secondary paywalls is that it makes it harder to grow the sport with the causal viewer.

Reaction Score
Yeah, just gonna be strange finding sports content on USA on a regular basis rather than overflow basis. Guess the rest will go behind a paywall on Peacock.

The problem for sports behind secondary paywalls is that it makes it harder to grow the sport with the causal viewer.
Agreed on growing the sport. We're a soccer family. I played growing up, and it's both of my kids' primary sport. But I didn't watch soccer growing up. My son started watching when he was like 7. He'd wake up before us, put on the tv, and watch Premier League. That made him a big fan. All of his friends have favorite teams that they follow. Yes, they are typically soccer kids, but its the access that hooked them (and FIFA video games). I don't think that would have happened if the games were behind a pay wall. Even now, I buy Peacock Premium when there's a huge game he wants to see (Man U v. Liverpool last weekend), but then cancel after that 30 day period.

NBC is getting killed with the Olympics though. They've spent so much money in advance of the games. That was supposed to be the big push to Peacock Premium.

I wonder what the tipping point will be for YouTube Tv, Hulu Live, etc. I cut the cable at the beginning of the pandemic. I'm totally happy with the decision. But YouTube TV is a big part of my expenses, and the only thing we really watch is news and sports.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Celtics games in CT on NBC Boston Sports. Going elsewhere or to peacock? Just like it’s hard to find NESN now for Sox games. Terrible.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Don’t they cover a ton of hockey games?
Yep. Great coverage. Really they have the best national platform.

And apparently that contract ends this year and they have offered to renewed - but with placement on USA Network .

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I'm in the NYC market (Norwalk), but I know NBC Sports Network is how people pull SNY out of market. Wonder how this will affect displaced Mets fans?

Reaction Score
I think a smart strategic move. Nbcsn is such a niche channel, moving the content to USA is a good decision. It will get more viability there.

I never went to the network. I do go to the app for streaming and assuming that won’t change.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think a smart strategic move. Nbcsn is such a niche channel, moving the content to USA is a good decision. It will get more viability there.

I never went to the network. I do go to the app for streaming and assuming that won’t change.

Seriously? If you didn't go to the network, how did you watch UK v. Italy in the Prada Cup last night?

SPOILER ALERT: Italy spit the bit in the second half of the race gifting the Brits a win.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom